“Amazing experience!”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We spent 4 nights in June 2014 at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort and we really enjoyed our stay.
It took a bit over one hour from the airport to reach the hotel. We used a taxi which I highly recommend. Cost was 60 USD. Police had many road blocks along to way, so make sure your driver has his paper work in order.
The hotel had amazing service, positive atmosphere, nice pools, clean / comfortable rooms, beautiful surroundings, nice beach, excellent bars, interesting activities & dinner on the beach. This place is suitable for couples and families.
If you feel like doing also something else than getting hammered and burning your skin, please try diving. The all inclusive packet even has an introduction to diving, i.e. trying the equipment in the pool. If one wants to take this experience further, you can do it smoothly with PADI professional in the ocean – cost 110 USD.
Things that we were not that excited about were; blackouts & sewage smell along some of the walkways.
Anyways, overall experience was extremely positive and I would recommend this place for everyone.
P.S.
Make sure you have an extra 50 USD / person when you a planning the fly away from the island, there is a ridiculous departure tax to be paid.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rholmandi
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, some photos and your kind recommendation!

What a pleasure it is to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. I think our friendly staff provide a great atmosphere, but it's always nicer to hear it from our guests!

I am sorry about the smell along the walkways. We have unfortunately faced a delay in having the truck that drains the septic tanks come to the resort, they will be here this week and that should be fixed immediately. Our sincere apologies it was something you had to face during your stay. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about the blackouts. We keep them under a minute for the most part, by immediately turning on one of our two generators, but the main power supply comes from mainland Tanzania and there appear to be a lot of technical challenges that are still being worked on to keep the power flowing smoothly.

We appreciate your kindness in recommending the resort in spite of these problems and sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Each and every staff member was inviting, and happy to help with anything. Service with a smile, every time.
It feels like we left a few of our friends behind when we left!
The beach is absolutely beautiful, the many pools are well kept, there are always fluffy, clean towels for swimming and in the bathrooms.
The food is excellent, a real variety. The rooms are huge and airy, a massive and comfortable bed, and the cleaning staff really put in the effort to make your room special, with new flowers decorating the beds each morning.
The spa is a must! Amazing massages with the most beautiful view.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LaurenSchultz
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Lauren,

Thank you so much for your terrific review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and are always delighted to share kind words with our wonderful staff. I'm proud of all of them and their ability to make our guests feel so welcome. Of course, we're also happy that you enjoyed our beautiful beach, the food, the flowers that decorated your bed, our 4 gorgeous pools and the lovely ambiance of our spa! I tell our guests often that if you haven't had a massage in a place where you can actually hear the waves below you, you really must, as it's an incredible experience! We're so glad you enjoyed it!

Rafiki is the Swahili word for friend... so, our new rafiki, thank you for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Margaret, Emmanuel, Gloria,Khasim, Robert, Zainab, Victoria, John, Tanda and Masoud, amazing people.They treated my sisters and I like Royalty.They are really Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, such friendly people.They make sure we were well looked after. Not forgetting the 2 girls who cleaned my room every morning, amazing people indeed. Everyone was juz amazing.Worth every cent i spent on my holiday.What a blessing to have met Royal Zanzibar staff (with the exception of the boutique ladies - They should ask Margaret for tipz on how to deal with people).
Well deserved holiday in Paradise...Asante sana to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Khutsiso

Asante sana for taking the time to post your really lovely review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort and for sharing some great photos too!

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and will happily pass your thanks on to Margaret, Emmanuel, Gloria, Khasim, Robert, Zainab, Victoria, John, Tanda and Masoud. I'm very proud of all of our staff and it's terrific to be able to thank them for ensuring that our guests have a wonderful time when I can share reviews like this.

I am sorry to hear that you encountered some problems with our staff in the Gift Shop, I've spoken to our Supervisor for the shop and asked her to ensure that all of her staff focus on the same level of service experienced in other parts of the resort.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your vacation in Nungwi. We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you and your friends back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We were in the hotel for 5 nights, and we even added one more nighr and ditched the other hotel we booked from home (worth the extra 135$ we paid for the other hotel on advance).
Beside the weather everything was perfect!
The room was hough and the bed was the most comfortable bed we ever slept in.

Beside a 20$ fine for loosing the room key, which is highly overrated, the room price is not that high for the amazing service, food and facilities you receive.

The staff is really friendly and it seems like they never ran out of new ways to entertain the guests if its with ball games, pool games, dinners on the beach with live bands or a Masai dances, you will always find yourself enjoying the place.

We never even went out of the hotel as it provided everything we needed.

A small issue with the hot water but not sure this is the case with the rest of the rooms.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Digiloma
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you so much for your absolutely glowing review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

It's always an honour to be chosen as a honeymoon location, but for you to stay an extra night when somewhere else is already paid for is truly humbling. We will be certain to share your kind remarks with our team, particularly the animation staff, it sounds like they kept you very busy! I hope not too busy, we like our guests to spend lots of time relaxing too.

I am sorry about the lost room key charge, unfortunately the complications and expense of changing the lock and having new keys cut locally make it necessary to pass part of the cost on to the guest.

Unfortunately we did have a pump problem one day last week. I don't know if this is the day you had hot water problems, but if so, I'm happy to report that it's been repaired and sorry that it was a cause of concern during your stay.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, perhaps for a special anniversary?

Reviewed 25 June 2014

excellent beach.
5 pools.
good eat.
good service.
good location.
if your room close to tree, so early at morning you will wake up by noislyץ
close to fisher village , so go to visit there trip, very beautifull.

Room Tip: I suggest you chose room far from free, because early at morning if you room clote to tree, you will...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Serhio C

Thank you so much for your kind review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to post your remarks.

We are sorry you were disturbed by the crows, I only wish I had a solution for them.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed 3 nights and was unexpectantly surprised by the wonder of this resort. We had an all inclusive package (food and cocktails), amazing beach buffets set up and rmanaged to perfection, 4 huge pools, the staff (Tanda in particular) were very friendly! Wish we had stayed longer! Definitely worth the visit!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank MichelleDelb

Dear Michelle,

Thank you so much for your terrific review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

What a lovely title you gave our review! We were delighted to be "an unexpected wonder", although it did make me think we should look at our marketing efforts again! My favorite part of reviews such as yours is still the opportunity to thank the staff for their hard work, I will do that with pleasure, particularly to Tanda!

We hope that you will have the opportunity to return, next time for a longer visit. Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I had high expectations after reading all the raving reviews hence my disappointment. The arrival which to me portray the image and capability of a place was unprofessional. We were expected to sit in the lounge area like school kids to fill out a register. Our register were missing until I discovered that our booking at the hotel was done in the name of the travel agent. The setting is picturesque. The accommodation was huge and clean. Every day you will be surprised by housekeeping and their towel art. I do however have a problem with the lumpy pillows, bath towels that have past their due by date, and the fact that blankets instead of duvets are used. The staff is very friendly and eager to please, but they do need some ongoing training to master the finer points. Often they would take an order for the bar only to forget about it. I think the biggest disappointment for us was the food. The food was bland, very little variation and the different stations were not properly manned. They would offer desert without spoons, smoothies without straws, I had to religiously ask for the cheese to be sliced. The croissants were stodgy. The fruit was not sliced properly. Often you would find a plate of paw paw mousse instead of slices of fruit. Meat was tough. The "snacks" were repetitive. Mini pizzas, pocorn and peanuts every day. Having experienced the best all inclusive offer in Mauritius this was not in the same league. The nights on the beach were lovely, yet not all the food was of the same standard. Pity that we could not experience the Samaki restaurant which was under construction. The best part of this resort is the amazing swimming pools and the beach area. The beach boys are a nuisance but the beaches are public areas so not much the hotel can do about it. If you go there expect to find 3* by international standards and you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

Thank you also for your fairness in praising our lovely setting and our hardworking housekeeping team, I'll be sure to share your remarks with the Executive Housekeeper and her staff.

I am sorry that so many other parts of your stay didn't meet your expectations. We are taking another look at large arrivals, I agree with you that it's not a 5-star way of handling a large number of people checking in at the same time, but we did like getting everyone out of reception and into an area where they could sit and relax while we handled the formalities. We'll go back to the drawing board and see if we can find a better option that meets both needs. I went back to look at the documentation we were sent to book your room in order to determine what had happened with the name on the booking and ran into a situation we had never had before. The travel partner we work with had sent the booking from the agency, with the agency name listed as the guest name. Had that name been something like "Thomas Cook Travel" or "booking.com", I would have taken issue with our reservations team, but in this case the agency name could very easily have been a personal name, particularly when we're welcoming guests from all over the world who often carry very different and distinct names. I am sorry that it caused some confusion, but I really couldn't blame my team for the problem.

The food is unfortunately a very complex issue. At any given time, we have between 12 and 20 nationalities among our guests. We try hard to provide a wide variety of good, fresh food that appeals to as many tastes as possible. Our most successful efforts have been to prepare it in a manner that is relatively plain and offer a number of sauces that allow individual guests to spice it to their taste. We are also happy, whenever it is feasible, to prepare individual dishes for guests that are unable to find anything they like. We receive many positive remarks regarding the meals, but I'm sorry that they didn't appeal to you and can only assure you that we continue to try to broaden our scope to be able to appeal to everyone.

The last issue I'll address is the service standards. I appreciate your acknowledgement that our staff are friendly, I completely agree with you that they are genuinely friendly people. Unfortunately it is also true that they are still learning how to be 5 star employees in handling the details of their jobs. In order to have a positive impact on the local community, we have done our best to hire as many of our staff as possible from Nungwi, then from Zanzibar, eventually from mainland Tanzania and a few expatriates. As large scale tourism is still new to Zanzibar, we still lack the more polished staff that we might find on the mainland or further afield, but if we were to hire from so far away, our impact in the local community would become a very negative one rather than a positive. We continue to work with all of our teams, virtually every department holds both daily briefings as well as weekly trainings and we run specialty trainings for our supervisory staff as well. I am confident that they are much better now than they were last year and the year before that and I know that we will continue to work so that this time next year they are better again.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. Should you be returning, please feel free to contact me directly. We would very much appreciate the opportunity to show you our better sides were you to stay with us again.

Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est
My Blue Hotel
My Blue Hotel
#9 of 19 in Nungwi

Been to Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!