My husband, teenage son and I have just spent 4 days at the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.Travelling on South African passports, we did not need visas, nor did we have to pay the arrival and departure taxes. The airport is old, with no conveyor belt system for luggage, so collecting cases is a bit of a scrum, with everyone pushing and shoving to spot their luggage! Our transfer went without a hitch, our driver being very Informative, though as another reviewer has said, the poverty is quite an eye opener.
The hotel sits behind big gates with Masai security, it really is like entering another world. The large, open reception looks down over the gardens, pools, room complexes and the sea.We stayed in A block, right on the beach. The rooms were large and clean, decent bathrooms with huge baths! We loved to sit outside on the veranda in the morning with our coffee.
The pools were wonderful, no need to be up early to book sunloungers as there were always plenty available. The staff are brilliant, unfair to single anyone out, as they were all good, jewel in the crown actually. The food was fine, even my picky son was happy, so mission accomplished! We did enjoy the dinners at the beach and around the pool. We also did the Lobster dinner, outside of the all inclusive, at USD 60 pp. Our son decided to stick to pizza!
What can I say about the beach boys, well, they are a Zanzibar fixture. We found a polite but firm No was usually enough to deter them. At the end of the day, they are only trying to earn a living. If it really annoys you, avoid the beach!
The hotel operates a cashless system, so anything bought outside of the all inclusive or gift shop goes on account until checkout. Tips can be placed in a secure box outside the cashiers office, which then get shared amongst the junior staff members.
We were only there 4 days, and it rained for one day, so wish we could have had longer! It really is a lovely, relaxing resort. Thank you to everyone for making our stay so enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A spectacular view of the Indian Ocean from almost anywhere on the resort makes this all-inclusive property a wonderful choice for those guests looking for a peaceful and relaxing vacation. Fantastic swimming pools, a beautiful beach with clear, turquoise waters and amazing sunsets all add to the ambiance! The rooms are large, approximately 80 square metres for Superior Rooms and 100 square metres for Suites. A spacious bathroom with a large bathtub, separate shower and double sinks provide luxurious comfort. All rooms include a quiet split-unit air conditioner, TV, fridge, coffee and tea making facilities, a safe and a terrace from which to enjoy the view. The warm, friendly staff invite you to enjoy meals in the buffet restaurant with a varied selection of local and international dishes or a traditional pizza oven near the beach offers a quick snack while you relax by the pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Jovago.com, Priceline, Agoda, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HRS, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Zanzibar Beach Hotel Nungwi
- Seaclub Royal Zanzibar Beach Hotel
- Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort Zanzibar Island/Nungwi