1,696 results
All reviews samaki restaurant coco bar spices restaurant captain marco huge bath italian chef main restaurant pool bar local spirits masai guards stone town buffet style our honeymoon water aerobics hakuna matata lounge area all inclusive package
Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

This really is a beautiful resort. The grounds are immaculate and the layout and design of resort is superb. The pools are lovely and the beach is stunning. My favourite facility was the beach bar!

Service is impeccable especially in the restaurant (Spices), at the bar outside Spices and at the beach bar. The variety of food provided blew our minds - the food was OK though nothing special.

The room we stayed in was terrible. Nothing luxurious about it. Very tired, bland and with old fittings and furnishings. Room was too big and very sparsely decorated with a strange layout.The mosquito nets over the beds had holes and stains in them. The shower also felt dirty and grimey...not a place you wanted to spend too much time. Really old shower head as well.

Also the night we arrived our kettle didn't work. When we phoned reception they said nothing could be done til later in the morning (we arrived at 2am). I didn't understand this as all we needed was someone to bring a new kettle.

On our second night our air conditioning didn't work. This took several calls to reception to sort out which really upset me.

If the rooms were better I would rate the resort as a 5 star but without the necessary upgrades it gets 3 stars at best.

The hotel did arrange a special birthday cake for my mom which she loved. The restaurant staff came out with it during dinner, singing and dancing. It was a really wonderful celebration.

Special mention to Haji in the Spices restaurant who went above and beyond in attending to a problem i had. He showed tremendous innovativeness and problem solving spirit. Really appreciated everything he did to assist. I was beyond happy with the end result. Thank you Haji!

Also thanks to Juma in reception who was very friendly and always willing to assist. He gave us lots of information about the resort and helped us sort our WiFi.

Really loved lying on the raised beach area of the hotel in front of the beach bar where you are completely protected from beach boys. They were really no hassle at all from this spot.

Another highlight was seeing the Masai guards all around. Was a wonderful bit of culture added to the resort and very interesting to meet them.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank laurenmiddler
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2016

Dear Ms Middler,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We very much appreciate your fairness in talking about all of the things you enjoyed so much and rated so highly as well as about your disappointment with the room you were assigned.

We will take a look at the room you stayed in to check on the layout. Our rooms are very large, but I'm not sure what may be different about the layout in that rooms that made it feel awkward. I'm very sorry that the nets and shower heads were not of a good standard, we are in the process at the moment of changing both the mosquito nets and the shower heads in all rooms. I trust that that will make an improvement for upcoming guests although I'm sorry it wasn't done before you came.

I deleted my initial response to add in this paragraph, I apologise again for missing what was one of the worst parts of your post for me. There is no excuse for items not to be working, or not to be immediately fixed or replaced when a guest brings them to our attention. We have addressed this with the managers involved and are doing training in each area to remind our teams of the importance of immediate resolution or strong communication with the guests when we have a problem we are unable to fix. There should always be something else we can do to help and we need to find those other avenues quickly.

I was delighted to hear that Haji went "above and beyond" to assist you and will be sure to thank Haji and Juma for taking good care of you and your mother.

We thank you again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your vacation and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 October 2016

The resort is beautiful and fun.
The room is really nice (but the mattress can be more comfortable...).
The staff is really amazing, trying to help and always with a smile (Miraj is the best!!!).
The food is very diverse and nice.
We really recommend the place

2  Thank omerkey
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your terrific review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and agree with you that our staff is amazing... but it sounds better coming from you! I will thank Miraj for making such a special impression. We will also share your compliments with the kitchen. I know they like hearing that guests have enjoyed the food.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. I hope that you will have the opportunity to return to east Africa one day and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 15 October 2016 via mobile

Beautiful resort with immaculate rooms which are really modern, well designed, clean with fantastic views of the Indian Ocean.

Plenty of sun beds and pools so never felt rushed to get one or cramped in.

The staff are really good and always happy to help without being overbearing.

The only slight downside is that the restaurant isn't air conditioned so in the height of summer it would be too hot and you can't leave the air con on in your rooms while you are out so when you return from the beach or pool it's like and oven!

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Mr. Morehead,

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much, particularly that you never felt rushed or cramped. We want our guests to be completely relaxed during their stay.

Although I understand your concerns regarding the restaurant, we are fortunate that with the open air design and the thick makuti (thatch) roof, the temperature in the restaurant is normally fine all year around. Regarding the air conditioners in the rooms, as such a huge consumer of electricity, we simply can't have them running all day long in every room. I hope that you found with the large capacity units we use, it only takes a few minutes for the room to cool.

Thank you again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay. We hope that should you have the opportunity to travel to Zanzibar again, we would be able to welcome you back.

Reviewed 10 October 2016

Wow what can I say. Me and my partner decided to stay here for 3 nights and another hotel for the next three days. Let’s just say if we knew how amazing it was going to be we would of stayed here the whole duration (it did come down to budget also)
We arrived with a nice welcome from the staff and a welcome drink. To our surprise we were upgraded which was lovely news as we were celebrating a special occasion. The room and bathroom was massive! Couldn’t of been more happy with the room. We had an ground floor ocean view room which was also a great bonus. All I would say negative about that is there was two guards or a guard with someone from the massai tribe very close to our outside terrace. I understand the security and that’s great to know but you had to remember this when getting changed or walking around. The bed was rock hard which I have read on many reviews but I still managed to sleep well.
We went all inclusive, so we enjoyed the lovely food and the cocktails, they had a cocktail of the day each day which I think is a good idea.
The beach was very clean and beautiful, there was plenty of room for all guest throughout our stay so you didn’t have to fight for a sun lounger. Each day someone was handing out popcorn and taking drinks orders, however I would say the you could wait a long time for someone to walk around so may be best just to walk to the bar.
There was an onsite snorkel centre, we spoke to a lady and she was lovely not pushy and not trying to con you out of money. She we decided to book our Memba snorkel trip with her which was a good decision in the end.
There was entertainment each night with singers and dancer, we also played ping pong and darts each night which was good. They also have sets nights where dinner is around the pool or on the beach. We missed the beach night but the pool night was very good. Again fab food that night and realise how much they have to bring out and how long it must take to prepare all of that.
There was lady who welcomed us every breakfast and every lunch who I swear looked and sounded like Whoopi Goldberg, she was so friendly and very professional.
The must for when I book a hotel is the pool and the pictures I have of this pool do not do it any justice. There was many pools, a pool bar, very cool sun loungers at another and an infinity pool for a great view of the sunset. The pool was a tad cold though.
The only thing is the beach boys pester you as soon as you walk on the beach, they are all there waiting for you so not once did we have a peaceful walk, but that’s not the hotels fault.
Overall I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat and wish we stayed longer. I would hope to go back on day

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2016

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

We're delighted that you had such a great stay and are sorry that you couldn't stay longer.

We also appreciated your comments regarding some of the areas we can work on and we will do our best to address them. I don't know if you mentioned the hard mattress to the Room Attendant, but we do have foam toppers for those guests who would prefer a slightly softer sleep surface. I also noted your comments regarding our Maasai Guards and will move them slightly to the side of the building to avoid their presence intruding on our guest's privacy.

Margaret (our little Whoopi Goldberg lookalike) will be thrilled with your comments regarding her demeanor, she's a guest favourite for all the right reasons! And I'll also share your comments regarding the lady who handles the excursions with East Africa Diving, I know they'll be pleased to know that their staff are making the right impression on our guests.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your review. We hope that your memories of Zanzibar will encourage you to come back soon!

Reviewed 29 September 2016

We stayed at this hotel for a week, overall it was a nice experiance with pros and cons.
pros: we got an upgrade to a large suite with large balcony(with a double bed in it) and a stunning view, the food was tasty most of the time with a large choice buffet, the service was extraordinary! all staff members were most welcoming, especially Juma from reception that was highly proffesional, welcoming and did his best to fulfil every request.
cons: swimming pool water was too cold for us, TV and AC wasn't working but was fixed.
room had a lot of dust in it, some ants and bugs in the room (but this is africa)bed mattress was too hard, some of the staff members were too noisy early in the morning but still we will recommand it because after all we had a great time and it was the staff attitude that made the difference, AKUNA MATATA!

Date of stay: September 2016