“Best stretch of beach in Nungwi, but food was terrible!”
Review of My Blue Hotel

My Blue Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Best stretch of beach in Nungwi, but food was terrible!”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We bought a package tour which was all inclusive, upon arriving at the airport you are instantly hit with the locals attempting to basically extort money from you for doing even the smallest thing(carrying your bag 15m). At the hotel the same thing happened, the staff member who walked us to our room, wouldn't leave the room as she was waiting for a tip, I basically had to remove her physically. The room they put us in first was shocking, it stank of mould and the curtains were stained brown. We complained and were moved to a much better room. The room was cleaned every day and fresh flowers put on the bed. The only thing they could do is offer more on the tv than 3 channels all playing soccer. The pool bar is awesome and the pool is really nice. The beaches around the resort are dirty but the My Blue beach is spotless and the section you lay on, which is part of the hotel is also kept spotless. The majority of patrons to the hotel are Italian so there are lots of beautiful tanned bodies lazing in the sun all day. The first day you get there the tour company comes to pitch theire tours, be wary of them! They rip you off badly! They say you shouldn't book with the locals as you will be a victim of crime, whilst this may be true in rare cases, we felt as though the tour company robbed us. The stone town tour was lousy, they promised turtles which turned out to be tortoises and a traditional lunch which turned out to be dry chicken and chips. I later found out that I could have organised a similar tour at a fraction of the price, we paid $75 each and could have done the tour for $15 each if we had booked with a local and used local transportation. This was suntours the same people that pick you up from he airport. If you are going to do any tours take the time to walk up the beach towards the top of the island, there are so many tour companies offering deals and you can do much better than the companies which punt tours at the hotels. However I do recommend going to Stone Town with a guide, the place is rough! I personally didn't do it as I was sick but I heard from everyone that the safari blue was amazing. When buying anything in Zanzibar, bargain bargain, bargain, they try and rip you off at every stage, I would say take the price they give you and subtract 60%. We also found that everything we bought from the Massai market(right by the my blue hotel) was cheaper at the airport when we left. Also try change money at the airport and get as many small notes as you can as you will find everyone wants a tip or they try scam you when giving you change from a purchase, especially carry small notes if you go on the spice tour.

I was under the assumption that I had the best all inclusive deal, however there was an upgrade which was not offered to us, for 50euros extra you can order drinks by the bottle and have all types of alcohol instead of just local and by the glass. This was a let down that the reception never offered us this at the start. The food at My Blue is lousy, breakfast is the same thing over and over, the bacon is so fatty and the variety is small and repeated every day. Lunch is also not great either. They have lots of stuff on offer but it would be better if they reduced the options and focused on quality rather. The dinners were also very disappointing, for being the spice capital, the food was extremely bland and the menu boring. Every day I watched the fishermen pulling out loads of fish and we had only one decent fish meal through the hotel(one barracuda). There was not one prawn on the menu nor were we offered lobster, only the shells and pincers( I would love to know if they just bought the lobster minus the tail). The lack of seafood was a great disappointment to me. If you want decent food go to the various beach restaurants surrounding the hotel, their food is so much better than anything we were served at My Blue. On our week there were 8 other South Africans, 6 of us got sick from something served at the hotel, I am still sick 2 weeks later. STAY AWAY FROM THE ICE AND TAP WATER!!!!!!!!! The ice i'm sure is from the tap water and that's what started me off getting really sick, then I wouldn't breakfast at the hotel, we would go up to a beach restaurant for lunch and I would start feeling normal, then have dinner at the hotel and I would be sick again. I have serious doubts as to the hygiene standards in the kitchen and started to draw a correlation between eating at the hotel and having stomach problems.

My Blue hotel reminded me somewhat of the siege which took place in WACO Texas where the FBI played repetitive music to get the hostage takers to leave there compound. At my blue the music starts at bout 10am at the pool bar, the music then continues in the dining area for breakfast .lunch and dinner and at the pool bar after dinner. They play the same cd over and over and over. Xmas carrols sung by daffy duck and "is it me you are looking for" has been burned into my head and towards the end of the stay I actually could not go and eat in the dining room and face that music again. To the management at my blue please please please by a few more cd's!

The last thing which really irritated me about the hotel! The day we got there the GM came and introduced herself, she was very friendly and seemed like she was very approachable. She is constantly floating around the hotel but not once did she ever come and talk to us or ask us how our stay was, then on our last day whilst waiting for our airport transfer she walked into reception, looked at us and the just walked out. She didn't even wish us a safe journey home, thank us for coming to stay at the hotel or ask us about our stay. For someone working in the hospitality industry that is shocking!

All in all we had a good time and the resort is very beautiful and so is the beach, there is lots of fish life right in front of the hotel so its worth while taking your own goggles and snorkel. If you stay at My Blue budget for at least one meal per day away from the hotel otherwise you will get really sick of the food. The beach boys are always trying to sell you something or get you to take a tour it becomes really irritating but what we found helped was saying that we have already booked and paid through someone else or that we were leaving the next day as soon as they see they wont make a sale they leave you alone. I will definitely go back to Zanzibar but after my experience I would either stay at the Royal Zanzibar or the Sunset hotel , both are situated alongside My Blue. Also if you need an honest guy to help you out or hook you up with a good tour guide ask for Captain Geoff or 007. 007 was like our personal bodyguard to and from the bars and clubs at night, because he is massai he carries a sword/big knife and helped us out when some locasl wanted to cause trouble, the locals are scared of pissing off the masssai. I hope that anyone reading this or going to Zanzibar learns from my mistakes and has an awesome time, its a great place. enjoy

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Seth F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We were very excited to go to Zanzibar as it was i first time there. From the flight to the hotel it was great. When we arrived at the hotel it was absolutely lovely. Nice set-up rooms were beautifully decorated and clean. Every day our beds looked stunning with the flowers such attention to detail. All hotel staff very friendly especially the chef he was awesome and his food wow everyday was something to look forward too. The beach is lovely clean and you can swim at anytime. Did trips to stone town + spice islands and snorkelling all well worth it, enjoyed all throughly and will recommend you try all. Was very sad to go home. Weather was great !!! Will be back again.

Room Tip: We had a pool facing which was lovely as the garden is beautuful. You can get a sea facing at an ad...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Loise v
haifa
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

We arrived on a rainy day And had a problem with our reservation. The staff in my blue really did everything they could to cheer us up. Fix the problem with the reservation and even upgrade our room.

If you want to do activities in the island you should ask the person that deals with customers and not the reception to get better suggestions. (Like sunset crouse and spices tour for normal prices).
You can also go with one of the million suggestions you get from beach boys as soon as you set your foot outside the hotel premises. (If you feel comftable enogh)

Have fun

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amit E
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This hotel was in a nice spot with a great beach. The resort was nice but our initial room smelled so bad of mold I nearly gagged when we went in. I expect some mold in a tropical place but there was a one inch solid strip in our shower. When we complained to management we were quickly upgraded to 2 new rooms that were much better. The food was just ho hum and there are mostly Italians staying there, so the staff speak very little English. The staff were nice and we liked the bar. Alcohol was not included in the all inclusive & soft drinks were provided in tiny Dixie cups! If you stay here, venture out down the beach to eat:)

Room Tip: if you aren't happy with your room tell the management.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SHIRLEY R
Victoria Falls, null, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We spent a week at this resort, it was myself and my 2 kids, we had a really awesome time, the staff and management are friendly and efficient, the internet was not great during the day, but later at night it really could get quite fast. The staff did their best to get the internet sorted, but I think their ISP may have been the cause, as we had signal to the router but no internet!!
The Hotel is in an ideal location, the beach was great, only the sea at certain tides had very small jelly fish which made it uncomfortable to snorkel for to long, I am not sure if this is a seasonal thing or not. But at lower tides it was not as bad. The room I was in was perfect for us, and had all the amenities and plenty of room, the beds were comfortable and I liked the design (time for one at home!!!).
Interaction with other guests was limited as most were Italians who could not speak English, there were a few South Africans there, with whom we compared notes, so this made our stay particularly special as it meant the kids and I spent some quality time together.
Thanks for a great holiday.
Kind regards
Brent

Room Tip: I only saw our room, but the ones on the front facing the sea looked really good, so maybe select on...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I just returned to SA yesterday after spending 7.5 wonderful days in paradise. After hearing on our arrival some sad news that the original hotel (Paradise Beach Resort) we were supposed to stay at burnt down the day before, we were moved to My Blue hotel in Nungwi. The accommodation was brilliant, the staff exceptionally friendly and although I found the food generally bland (mild), it was definitely good food. A special mention to one of the chef's Abdul Rahman for his hospitality. The beach is right at the resort and the water is something out of this world. My wife and I had the time of our lives in Zanzibar in general and would recommend the hotel and everything about Zanzibar in general for all tourists.

Room Tip: Try asking for a room with a beach view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AhmedJazz
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have been here since the 6th, and leaving tomorrow (13th)...

When I booked my trip, I didn't have the time to search the internet to see where exactly I'm going, as I went purely on referral... 3 nights before my departure I went onto Tripadvisor to read the reviews about My Blue... I was about to cancel my trip, as people made it sound like a real horror holiday...

Needless to say, I am here and I enjoyed it thoroughly!!!! I DON'T want to go back home!!!

The breakfasts in the morning is a pure delight when you have woken up... There is a variety everyday, and not one day is the same.

I can say the same about the lunch and dinners - NOTHING is the same... And EVERYTHING tastes fantastic!!!

The staff made an effort to accommodate for what I wanted! I LOVE my garlic with all my food - from breakfast to dinner - and they made sure there was garlic available for me... The same with cinnamon at breakfast - they were more than happy to help me with it.

My room was an absolute heaven for me!!! I got a room by the pool, and it's a few steps away from the bar. There was NOTHING about bad smells that I read about in the previous reviews, which was also one of my biggest reasons for wanting to cancel my trip.

As a single lady on a trip, I would definitely recommed My Blue Boutique Hotel!!!

And YES, the name have changed as it's under new management, and I would advise people NOT to read the old reviews like I did... I will definitely advise my friends to come here, and I will definitely be back - with my kids!

I can go on and on and on, but I think my review should stay a review and not an essay... ;-)

Niki from RSA

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank 1Niki
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est
Dream of Zanzibar
Dream of Zanzibar
#2 of 3 in Mahonda

Been to My Blue Hotel? Share your experiences!