“Crazy expensive for what you get”
Review of The Zanzibari

The Zanzibari
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Where to start ...
Upon arrival you are asked if there are any alergies, etc .. I am lactose intolerant and believed that this questionaire would mean some care in the meals served .. but not. In most cases desert was off limits for me and there weren´t other options. After making friends with a couple of waiters I started to get fruit for desert and was alloud to have certain dishes without the cream/cheese/milk sauces. Food in general is good but very repetitive in ingredients. The restaurant and pool staff are wonderfull, we only have kind words for them! The recepcioninst is condescending in tone but zero effective and the manager, Mr. Eugene is very nice and a great PR but seemded a very poor manager.
The room (number 8) was nice looking and appeared clean, but the bed is unconfortably high (about 1,30m) and the bathroom needs urgent remodeling. The water pressure is very weak and there is limited quantity of hot water (after a shower of 15 minutes there is not enough hot water for the next person). In our bathroom, every time it rained we would have a flood.
We were in during the rainy season and having arrived after a mud safari we needed to do some washing. The hotel provides the service and we were warned that clothes might take a couple of days to be ready due to the humidity. I asked if they had a tumble dryer and I was informed that yes but anyway the clothes would need to stay out for a while because the dryer is not enough .. this sounded strange but we believed. 3 days after giving the clothes to wash we had a basquet with our clothes left outside of our bedroom door (outside were everyone can see and touch) still wet and with an awfull stench!!! When we confronted the manager about it I was told that it was the best they could do as they don´t have a tumble dryer and depend on the sun to dry their clothes. They washed up again and for the remaining days of our stay our bedroom was a drying facility with clothes hanging all over. We managed to dry everything in time!! In general the towels, bed sheets and table napkins were humid, stained and smelled strange.

To summarize the only reason I would go back to "The Zanzibari" would be to visit the restaurant and pool staff .. to expensive for the service offered and no way a boutique hotel!! In our walks through the area we found nicer and less expensive places ...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Zanzibari1, Manager at The Zanzibari, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

Dear Lola-Berget

I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your visit to our hotel, please accept my apologies.
I will certainly pass on your compliments to the service staff here at the hotel.

Thank you for your comments and we will certainly use them to improve ourselves and the hotel.

Kind regards,

Eugene Skoberla

Reviewed 28 April 2011

I feel like I got fooled by their website. It's a beautiful hotel- clean and pretty but I felt like I got deceived by the pictures on the website. It looks like you have beautiful white sand stretching out into the ocean which is not the case at all. There is definitely sand around the pool area, however that ends at a cliff which just has a rocky area leading into the water. After making the long trip there, we were disappointed that the paradise we were looking for (that naturally included a beach) did not have one right at the hotel. We were told- "oh, its just a 10-15 minute walk" and "we can't guarantee a beach, it's up to the wind.". For a beach vacation destination, I was pretty disappointed that there wasn't a beach! Although there is a saltwater pool surrounded by sand, its not quite the same as being on a beach. In addition, I thought the hotel would be somewhat more centrally located but it seems to be at the end of a long bumpy dirt road so its not like you can easily walk anywhere from your hotel.
The dinner at the hotel was quite good, perhaps some of the better food I had during my month in Africa, though the waiters definitely seemed to have a lot of trouble answering questions in English. Like many places in Zanzibar, the power goes off routinely which limits what you can do once the sun goes down.
We splurged and rented a suite, which was an interesting experience... This consists of a villa with one bedroom and living room downstairs and a second bedroom with a living area upstairs. Only the bedroom downstairs is closed off and has airconditioning, while the bedroom upstairs, although huge and with a great view- is pretty much like sleeping in open air with just a roof over your head and no real walls. It kind of felt like camping- although in a nice bed with a mosquito net. Although it was a unique experience sleeping outside - feeling the strong wind and hearing the ocean, I am not sure that was the experience I signed up for. For the amount they charge for the villa, I expected a lot more extras at the hotel- toiletries, bathrobes, etc and not somewhere where I felt like I may as well have slept on the beach with a mosquito net.
Not that I felt unsafe, but you can only lock the door from the outside when you leave, and the rest of the villa is pretty much open to anyone with any desire to get in. There is a safe at the check-in area, but the rest of the villa was pretty open in general. On the whole, considering that we spent a lot more money on the suite, I was expecting somewhere that had air-conditioning and that felt more secure. The private pool with the villa is a cute touch, but realistically its too small to swim in and just more of a dipping pool.
On top of that, despite telling the staff in advance that we were leaving early, it still took about an hour of sitting at the front reception to get them to get our bill ready and paid. I know these experiences are typical in Africa, but when you pay more money you have a higher level of expectation and I don't think that the Zanzibari lived up to that. We left early and switched to the Z hotel, which was much more in line with what we wanted.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank natasha1980
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We had such a wonderful stay at the Zanzibari, thanks to all the staff! Beautiful quiet beach and hotel facilities, stunning views, great food, easy to come by activities and afternoon tea times are not to be missed! Will go back in a flash!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2011

my friend and i took a 3-night weekend trip to the zanzibari in feb of 2011. she had recommended kendwa rocks (from previous experience), but i wanted something a little more upscale than a hostel. the zanzibari couldn't have fit the bill better.

i was the first to arrive and while i initially found the grounds stunning, i was worried that we were located on a sea cliff (there is no sandy beach at this spot on the island). there is a wonderful saltwater pool and a makeshift "beach" area atop the cliff, but i wanted some squishy sand between my toes. when i conveyed my concerns to yvonne, the hostess, she smiled and said not to worry - the beach is a short walk up the coast.

the next morning, we had a sumptuous breakfast, complete with fresh fruit, masala chai, croissants, doghnuts and the most delicious banana pancakes (so delicious in fact that my friend asked to meet the chef and got the recipe!). then, by the time we got our suits on, the tide had gone out far enough that we could walk down to the cliff-steps and right onto the coast to head up towards the sandy areas. the walk itself was amazing - with the tide out you could find tiny lil aquatic ecosystems all over - and within 10 minutes we hit sandy areas, where a lot of the other hotels are. we found a nice secluded beach between some hotels (just past the royal zanzibar hotel) and had a great time spalshing around in the water.

what we realized on our way back was that the other hotels were all crammed next to each other on the beach and made for a very over-developed feel. on the other hand, the zanzibari (though close enough to reach the active beach areas) stands alone at the northern tip of the island and gives you a secluded feel that can't be matched. (by the way, we recommend walking BACK through the village, lest you get stuck in rising tides!)

all in all, the zanzibari had all the perks of a fine hotel (with lovely grounds, clean rooms, amazing service and OUTSTANDING food), but with a cozy and intimate feel, like you're in your own private paradise at the end of the world.

we highly recommend it and can't wait to get back there soon!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2011

The Zanzibari is an oasis of calm and luxury with beautiful views over the ocean at the end of a bumpy road. The staff pay great attention to detail, from individually rolled hand towels in the bathroom to carefully placed flowers on the beds and afternoon coffee and cakes by the pool. Although it is easy to spend hours enjoying the view and the flowers in the beautifully tended gardens, the Zanzibari is ideally located for enjoying many of the activities that the island has to offer. Sea kayaking is available from the hotel itself and there are many nearby activities in Nungwi village including a sea turtle conservation project and snorkelling that are well worth taking advantage of. I would definitely recommend the Zanzibari.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Time just disappears here... I think I could spend a month sitting at the pool watching the dhous float past.

I would recommend paying extra for the new suites. They have their own splash pools and look right out over the sea. Fantastic.

One of my favourite aspects of this hotel is the way that you feel as though you have the place to yourself. I know it was full but it somehow felt as though there was nobody else there!

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 5 January 2011

As we live in Dar es Salaam then we travel to Zanzibar rather often for small weekend getaways. If you like us like a small quiet place with good food, attention to detail, opportunity for privacy and really good service then the Zanzibari is the place to stay. No, it is not the Kempinski or another large delux resort so if that is what you are looking for then perhaps a different place is better for you. But if you want the true flavour of Zanzibar and prefer reliable service, power, hot water, a good pool, nice drinks (great wines!!!), excellent food, real coffee (yes that is hard to come by in some places!) etc and your backpacking days are gone then you gotta love the Zanzibari.
We will come back here again and again and have recommended the place to family and friends. It is perfect if you like to snorkle (mnemba island reserve is not too far away) and diving, deep sea fishing and whatever else you may desire can be arranged. Just go and enjoy!!!

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
#17 of 19 in Nungwi
The Z Hotel Zanzibar
The Z Hotel Zanzibar
#1 of 19 in Nungwi

Been to The Zanzibari? Share your experiences!