Where to start ...
Upon arrival you are asked if there are any alergies, etc .. I am lactose intolerant and believed that this questionaire would mean some care in the meals served .. but not. In most cases desert was off limits for me and there weren´t other options. After making friends with a couple of waiters I started to get fruit for desert and was alloud to have certain dishes without the cream/cheese/milk sauces. Food in general is good but very repetitive in ingredients. The restaurant and pool staff are wonderfull, we only have kind words for them! The recepcioninst is condescending in tone but zero effective and the manager, Mr. Eugene is very nice and a great PR but seemded a very poor manager.
The room (number 8) was nice looking and appeared clean, but the bed is unconfortably high (about 1,30m) and the bathroom needs urgent remodeling. The water pressure is very weak and there is limited quantity of hot water (after a shower of 15 minutes there is not enough hot water for the next person). In our bathroom, every time it rained we would have a flood.
We were in during the rainy season and having arrived after a mud safari we needed to do some washing. The hotel provides the service and we were warned that clothes might take a couple of days to be ready due to the humidity. I asked if they had a tumble dryer and I was informed that yes but anyway the clothes would need to stay out for a while because the dryer is not enough .. this sounded strange but we believed. 3 days after giving the clothes to wash we had a basquet with our clothes left outside of our bedroom door (outside were everyone can see and touch) still wet and with an awfull stench!!! When we confronted the manager about it I was told that it was the best they could do as they don´t have a tumble dryer and depend on the sun to dry their clothes. They washed up again and for the remaining days of our stay our bedroom was a drying facility with clothes hanging all over. We managed to dry everything in time!! In general the towels, bed sheets and table napkins were humid, stained and smelled strange.
To summarize the only reason I would go back to "The Zanzibari" would be to visit the restaurant and pool staff .. to expensive for the service offered and no way a boutique hotel!! In our walks through the area we found nicer and less expensive places ...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Zanzibari is located in Nungwi on the northeastern tip of Zanzibar. Set above the beach on a low coral cliff with easy access to the sea you are offered privacy, peace and tranquility while taking in the stunning views of the Indian Ocean. The hotel has many high quality facilities, including our infinity pool, spa and famous Dhow Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Jovago.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Zanzibari reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Zanzibari Hotel Nungwi
- The Zanzibari Zanzibar Island/Nungwi