“A VERY PLEASANT STAY WE ENJOYED VERY MUCH”
Review of The Zanzibari

The Zanzibari
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Trier, Germany
“A VERY PLEASANT STAY WE ENJOYED VERY MUCH”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We booked our 7-day stay at the Zanzibari as a last point of a 3.5 weeks stay to Tanzania including a 10days volunteering in Arusha at the CWCD (Centre for Women and Children Devlopment) and a 7day Safari in the Northern Circuit.
We stayed in room 4 and had a very nice look through the lush tropical garden all the way down to the sea. The room was very clean, equipped with fan and ac, having nice add-ons as a hairdryer, water boiler and tea box and minibar.
The atmosphere of the whole place is peaceful and quiet. Especially the team is charming and always friendly. We really appreciated their kindness. The furniture is made of old dhow wood, which gives the place a unique Zanzibarian flavour. The restaurant is a very spacy place with excellent and varying food served at place. The garden is truely a jewel!
A thing to note, but which is clearly stated on the webpage and has also been told by our travel agency, is the tides, which make it difficult to swim in the sea during low water. However, you can use the hotel's sea-water infinity pool or walk 300m along the beach to a less coral-rock and more sandy beach part, where it is no problem at all to swim even during low water conditions. However, the upper (and private) hotel beach offers little palm-roofs and relax chairs which are perfect for reading, relaxing and chilling.
Finally, you should remember and honor being in a developing country. We encountered some very short (order of seconds) power outages until the hotel's generator kicked in. Also, it is true that hot water is solar-heated and therfore varies a little in temperature and amount. However, it was never too cold and one should keep in mind being in Africa and try to avoid wasting of water anyways. Concerning other shortcomings mentioned in other reviews of this hotel, we did NOT encounter ANY of them and even if, we think that would be resolved as quick as possible.
To wrap up, we looked for a quiet place to relax and found the Zanzibari exactly providing this in a beautiful and charming atmosphere. We can recommend this place 100% !

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Avoid this "luxury" hotel. It was awful. We went there on our honeymoon expecting it to look at least close to the pictures on the website. It did not. It was so terrible that we had to move to a different hotel in the middle of our trip.

First of all, there is no beach. The tide is either high, covering any beach there is, or it is low tide and then there is a very brief portion of the beach that you can walk on, which is certainly not white and certainly not pristine.

Second, there was no electricity either of the nights we were there. They blamed it on the poor electricity on the entire island and lack of a working generator, but by the second night, you would think they could have resolved the problem.

Third, the room was horribly dirty and filled with 70's era furniture (that was also dirty). The sheets had a blood stain on them and they were not changed until we specificaly asked that they be - which resulted in a different set of blood stained sheets being put on the bed.

Also, they floors were so dirty that you could not walk around barefoot. And there was a blood stain on the floor by our bed. Also, the mosquito netting was very poor and so we were bitten terribly every night.

And...the place smelled like cat pee - so badly that I couldn't fall asleep the first night.

I could go on, but I think this gets the point across. No wonder we were 2 of the 6 people staying there....

Do yourself a favor and AVOID this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank OSU1978
Zanzibari1, Manager at The Zanzibari, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Dear OSU1978

With regards to the electricity, we have gone as far as importing a third generator as a result of the electricity supply in Zanzibar and to ensure that our guests are not affected by this.

Further it is a pity that you do not understand the concept of the Dhow furniture. The furniture is manufactured from old sailing Dhows that are going out of service, this is very sought after style of furniture and we have received so many compliments regarding this from our previous guests and the same extends to the style of the suites. This is also a green and environmental decision made by us to rather recycle the wood from the Dhows instead of chopping down healthy trees to make contemporary furniture.
You are clearly not familiar with natural flooring either which is a shame, the Tanga stone floor that you refer to as 'dirty' is a natural brown sandstone, it is varnished as well. The cement we used is a white cement that is mixed with a colour dye to enhance the finish and the appearance for uninitiated can be confusing I guess?
We all of our own tastes though.

Regards,
Eugene
Bahrain
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Our holiday to Zanzibar was a bit of a last minute decision but the country along with the hotel in which we stayed, was by far one of the best decisions we have made. Although only a short trip of 5 days, we both wish we had had an extra few days to enjoy more of what Zanzibar had to offer, from a spice tour, to snorkelling and scuba diving or just relaxing. But the main reason I am writing is to tell you about the extraordinary hospitality of the Zanzibari and all those working there. From the wait staff to the cleaning staff to the management, you could not ask for a nicer bunch of people who were willing to make your stay unforgettable, not only because of their constantly happy demeanour, but also those little touches that ensure you always have a smile on your face – from the fresh flowers on the bed to the tea and home-made biscuits served by the pool at 5pm every day. And as someone who is a bit of a picky eater, I have to say, the food at the Zanzibari is some of the best I have eaten, but then this is not unexpected when they have 3 wonderful chefs and two pastry chefs attending to the culinary needs of the guests.

With regards to the atmosphere – you are surrounded by beautifully landscaped gardens and no matter which room you stay in, you have got a glorious view of the sea. The pool is refreshingly cool and the hotels private man-made beach area (which ensures you are undisturbed by the friendly, but slightly annoying locals trying to sell you things) is perfect for those of us who would rather lie on a comfy sun bed than on the sand. And for those people who have complained about there not being a beach – well I honestly can’t understand where you have got that idea from, as although it disappears under crashing blue waves at high tide, during low tide you can easily walk down the half a dozen steps to the beach and long the waters edge.

If you are looking for an unforgettable holiday during which you will meet unforgettable people, both in the form of staff and guests, then I would recommend a stay at the Zanzibari!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Caroline_264
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I was really surprised by the negative reviews. but then again, we all have an idea of what we dream of for the perfect holiday. I found the zanzibari to be a safe haven that exceeded my expectations. I loved the fact that it wasn't as commercial, very clean, and a bit more secluded without harassing salesman (God bless em) and male gigolos one might find on the more public beaches not too far away.

I felt safe and honored that we were guarded by real Masai warriors. WOW! We were even serenaded one night, hearing real traditional songs , what an honor! I'll never forget that! and I doubt the other places had the same privilege.

We stayed in the suite which I highly recommend as it is right on the seafront. I loved gazing at the stars from the top level at night and waking up to the sunrise over the sea early mornings, some truly spectacular scenery out of this world !!!, not too mention how well I slept to the sound of the waves...

I do not think the website lies, the bit of beach you see on site is what is there , when the tide is low. We enjoyed piddle-paddling along the exposed reef during low-tide- looking for crabs and fishies….I stepped on an octopus!! ;-) don’t step on the sea urchins ! a staff member (zuri) was even so kind to lend me his shoes ! I walked a mile in it .
I did not mind that the water wasn't always that hot whenever I took a shower, I found it quite refreshing and loved the fact that they were making use of solar panels. it is a tropical island after all, I was there during their winter season, but they don't really know what winter is ;-)
Early mornings is great for kayaking , and if you're brave, ride those waves at the reef. BE BRAVE!
I also thoroughly enjoyed my early morning swims in the beautiful swimming pool (salt water - so soft on the skin), or a run through the town, not to mention those frequent lazy naps in the hammocks, great massages.- uninterrupted, except for an invitation for tea and cake late afternoons - something we learnt to look forward to, and a great opportunity to meet other travelers..
This place truly gave me that well needed rest. However, whenever I needed more stimulation, there were so many other options to explore…The food was great , the staff, just amazing!!!- gentle people who truly’ aims to please.’..I just fell 'in-love' with them all..I felt valued and cherished!
I did not find the pricing exorbitant, as they always tried to get us the best deal. Tip: the more people on board for a daily excursion, putting some heads together and going on trips together, the cheaper the rates! as its more the transport that makes things pricey....so don't do things solo. we met some incredible like-minded people with the same interests and always managed to arrange some great deals for the spice trip, stone-town, sunset cruises, mnemba snorkeling trips etc etc.. Just ask! ....

We loved our leisurely walks along the beach during low tide to paradise hotel for a change of scenery and some cocktails. There’s so much within walking distance ie, parasailing, kite-surfing, scuba, turtle - sanctuary etc etc....next time I go, I'm renting a scooter to explore even more of this stunning island!

I left with a heavy heart and I highly recommend this gem of a place to all I encounter. It’s ran by gems of people worth praising and treasuring!!

Thank you for such an unforgettable holiday !
ps. for all photographers: what a dream . however, the locals do not like their pics taken since their muslim. do it from a distance ;-)

Room Tip: go for the suite!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank vanlelia
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 9 June 2011

If you are looking for somewhere beautiful, private and relaxing, this is definitely where you want to be! The service was excellent, the food to die for, and the location perfect. And for a really good price. I sincerely hope I can return one day...

Room Tip: Stay in the suites!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank CathD1
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We really needed a relaxing holiday and that is exactly what we got. The surroundings were beautiful and the view of the sea endlessly captivating. Every member of staff was helpful, friendly and courteous and went out of their way to make our stay a wonderful experience. The food was truly excellent, lots of variety and choice. I really have nothing negative to say about our stay, we normally find it very difficult to just sit still and relax but here it was easy! Thank you!

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank claracr
UK
Reviewed 19 May 2011

As the title suggests we headed out to Zanzibar and the Zanzibari to relax and enjoy the start of married life! Eugene and his staff were excellent all the way through from initial enquiries, to the welcome and throughout our stay. The team obviously care about their guests and do their utmost to ensure their stay is enjoyable and hassle free - not always easy in Africa! An oasis close, but far enough away, from the growing madness of Nungwi proper. We stayed in one to the suites with our own infinity pool and took the honeymoon package, loved it! The food was excellent and a surprisingly good wine list, an amazing setting and view just over the beach (which is tide dependent) but it was the service and attention of the staff that make this place special! Thanks guys really enjoyed it!

Room Tip: That little extra for the suite is worth it!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple