We booked our 7-day stay at the Zanzibari as a last point of a 3.5 weeks stay to Tanzania including a 10days volunteering in Arusha at the CWCD (Centre for Women and Children Devlopment) and a 7day Safari in the Northern Circuit.
We stayed in room 4 and had a very nice look through the lush tropical garden all the way down to the sea. The room was very clean, equipped with fan and ac, having nice add-ons as a hairdryer, water boiler and tea box and minibar.
The atmosphere of the whole place is peaceful and quiet. Especially the team is charming and always friendly. We really appreciated their kindness. The furniture is made of old dhow wood, which gives the place a unique Zanzibarian flavour. The restaurant is a very spacy place with excellent and varying food served at place. The garden is truely a jewel!
A thing to note, but which is clearly stated on the webpage and has also been told by our travel agency, is the tides, which make it difficult to swim in the sea during low water. However, you can use the hotel's sea-water infinity pool or walk 300m along the beach to a less coral-rock and more sandy beach part, where it is no problem at all to swim even during low water conditions. However, the upper (and private) hotel beach offers little palm-roofs and relax chairs which are perfect for reading, relaxing and chilling.
Finally, you should remember and honor being in a developing country. We encountered some very short (order of seconds) power outages until the hotel's generator kicked in. Also, it is true that hot water is solar-heated and therfore varies a little in temperature and amount. However, it was never too cold and one should keep in mind being in Africa and try to avoid wasting of water anyways. Concerning other shortcomings mentioned in other reviews of this hotel, we did NOT encounter ANY of them and even if, we think that would be resolved as quick as possible.
To wrap up, we looked for a quiet place to relax and found the Zanzibari exactly providing this in a beautiful and charming atmosphere. We can recommend this place 100% !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Zanzibari is located in Nungwi on the northeastern tip of Zanzibar. Set above the beach on a low coral cliff with easy access to the sea you are offered privacy, peace and tranquility while taking in the stunning views of the Indian Ocean. The hotel has many high quality facilities, including our infinity pool, spa and famous Dhow Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Jovago.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Ebookers, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Zanzibari reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Zanzibari Hotel Nungwi
- The Zanzibari Zanzibar Island/Nungwi