“Great food, great pool, great staff, great resort”

DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Me and my wife spent 3 nights here on our honeymoon. The resort is very beautiful but what was really impressive to us was a few things that stood: the food here is probably some of the best in Zanzibar, and that's saying something because its all served buffet style. The pool is excellent and has a great pool bar serving drinks and delicious pizzas all day. The staff were quite simply amazing to work with, everyone from Abdul at reception to the manager who came to personally great us after we checked in to make sure everything was in order. The security is very good and makes sure the local beach boys that are very common in Zanzibar do not trouble residents. Two things to keep in mind before you stay here: the dive center on site is poor (we had probably the worst dive trip ever) and I would suggest you use a different dive center if you are staying here. Second the Nungwe beach is not much of a beach although when the tide rolls back, you can walk all along the coast as local Zanzibaris fish for octopus and crabs. If you're looking for a nice beach, I would stay at Kendwe instead (however we didn't find a hotel of this calibre in Kendwe).

Room Tip: there are very few sea view rooms but we enjoyed our pool side room which had a view of the sea in t...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 September 2011

I have just came back from a trip in Zanzibar. I stayed at Double Tree, I really recommend this place to anyone looking for a bit of paradise. The hotel is idealy located in front of a very nice beach (fantastic sunset), with a huge well kept garden and a nice swimming pool. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are very comfortable and well decorated. The food is great with delicious breakfast and dinner buffets.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We were two out of six guests during low season and we almost had TOO much service;) They were so nice and gave us a good deal as well. We had been staying at a quite dirty place before coming here so we were ecstatic. Nice beds, clean rooms, LOVELY food and the beachboys (selling stuff and trips) were not allowed to hustle us which was nice.

So, if you are going to Zanzibar during low season I really recommend a few relaxing days here.

Room Tip: Super clean!
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2011

This is a bit of a disappointment, especially given it's a Doubletree (or maybe that's par for the course). There is minimal to no service - no-one offered to help us with our luggage when we first arrived and this permeated to virtually all parts of the hotel. One of my friends who had stayed here previously reported similarly, including a bizarre incident which I'll recount at the end.

The food is overpriced and average - go left along the beach and after a while you'll find no shortage of restaurants. Even the next door hotel has a better restaurant. They do have a decent recreation program if that does it for you, easy to feel like you're on holiday after a game of table tennis I suppose.

The rooms are small and old and the bathrooms are a bit unwieldly with showers that spray outside of the recess and get half the floor wet.

The only saving graces are its seafront location and an outstanding pool.

Word of warning - there are no ATMs nearby as per the entire area so prepare for that.

My friend actually gave the waiter a tip and said "could you please split this with the cook". The waiter took the tip and left, and then later returned to say to my friend "Actually I've thought about it long and hard, and I'm not going to give any to the chef. He won't know any better and I deserve it all. I'm going to go and spend this on myself". Just in case you might think that might trigger better service, after he ordered two beers, the waiter was bringing them back to his table when another guest asked for a beer - so the waiter just gave him one of the two and brought my friend just the one... fairly representative of the service you might expect.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank divvy_l
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Spent two nights at this resort with friends, having only booked rooms 24hrs prior to arriving. The drive up to the resort is quite rough and uninviting, but once beyond the gates this resort is a blissful place. Tastefully decorated in a manner that reflects Africa and the Indian Ocean, but comfortable enough and with the right amenities to make it feel like home.

Welcome at reception desk was warm and front office staff were very helpful throughout our stay. Rooms are comfortable and well sized, with well equipped bathrooms. Breakfast is plentiful (though the numerous flies at the open-air restaurant can be quite annoying - sit under a fan!). The pool-side area is relaxing and the bar quite nice to chill at. Though be aware drinks can easily take 30mins to be prepared! There's a small bar on the beachfront for evening cocktails / drinks and shisha as well. For the business-minded, there's a decent business centre with reasonably fast internet access, though wi-fi in the rooms can be a bit of a pain (not always accessible inside room).

Finally, don't miss the sunset from the beach!

Room Tip: Ask for pool + beach view rooms on 2nd or 3rd floor! (but no lifts..)
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I dont think anyone on earth could fault the location of the hotel and the weather of Zanzibar. Unfortunately the hotel itself left us in complete wonderment, as never before have I paid so much for a hotel room $00+ per night, and recieved such poor service and lack of "Hilton" brand.
There is only one retastuarnt - an it's buffet or nothing. They try to sell the pool bar - with it's hundreds of flies as a restaurant, and an area above the restaurant (4 tables) as al la cart...but we werent convinced. As for the rooms, whilst clean and spacious (we had a suite) there is no mini bar, the power is intermittent, and the tv is unreliable at best. As for service - forget pool side service, we struggled to just get a towel from them. If you need a drink anywhere be sure to order an hour before hand as things seem to be on a whole other time zone.
In summary, we loved our stay, but for the price we paid, Ive had better value in travelodges...

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank theblondedahlia
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The moment we stepped into the foyer we were greeted with food, drinks and kind smiles. The Hotel manager Stanley greeted us himself, he showed us around the picturesque hotel and excitedly explained the plans he had made for our wedding the following day. Anything we wanted or needed was no trouble at all, we felt like royalty. The bouquet of red roses, not common in Africa was organised to be ferried in from the main land; backpacking I wasn't able to carry the essentials that I needed to do my hair for the big day, i was walked by a staff member to a nearby hairdresser to borrow everything i needed. The foolish request of a 2:30pm wedding (for the good lighting in the photos), was no trouble to reorganise the photographer and celebrant to a sunset ceremony so that i didn't die from heat exhaustion, or have my makeup run in my dress. We awoke on the big day to a chopping sound, we looked out to see a man metres high up in a palm tree cutting down the palm leaves; we watched 8 staff spend 3 hours platting and trimming and building a huge gazebo from the leaves and flowers for the ceremony. Stanley continued to surprise us with flowers and food and 6 traditional Masai Warriors to give the most authentic African wedding experience. Then a romantic 4 course candlelit seafood dinner! We truly could't ask for a more magical time, a more romantic setting or better more personalised service. We felt like we were the only ones at the Resort! After 3 weeks of being violently ill, I felt rested, safe, calm and taken care of. Thank you Stanley and Doubletree staff, you made my dream wedding come true, forever indebted, Melissa and Justin

Room Tip: you receive a huge discount for booking 3+ months in advance
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
Melia Zanzibar
My Blue Hotel
#9 of 19 in Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar - Stone Town
Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi? Share your experiences!