What an amazing and relaxing holiday! The Doubletree Resort in Nungwi, Northern Zanzibar, far exceeded our expectations. Nungwi is a great little village and vibey enough that you don't feel isolated. The pictures certainly don't do the Doubletree Resort justice, and its great for families. The resort is perfectly located (you can run on the beach at low tide in both directions) and you lie on the resorts own beach, so the locals don't bother you trying to sell their curios. The staff were very friendly and happy and were so helpful with all our requests. We felt safe (there are guards along the beach to prevent the locals from hassling you to buy things) and the food (besides desserts) was great, especially if you enjoy seafood. We had the all-inclusive package, which is the best way to stay at this resort. Selected drinks and all meals were free of charge, and the pool bar has a lovely atmosphere (sip cocktails whilst lounging on bar stools in the pool). The white sands and crystal blue waters was exactly as we had imagined, although depending on the tide the water can become a bit murky due to the sand being churned up. Take a little swim out though and the water is crystal clear.
There are lots of activities to do, both in the hotel, along the beach and with guided tours. A must is the turtle conservation project, situated down the beach from the hotel, on the right if you are facing the sea. it's $5 per person, a guide takes you around the small area, explaining the project. You get to feed the larger turtles and hold the smaller ones, and the money goes towards funding the project.
Hire a paddle ski from Gerry's bar (right next to DoubleTree on the right hand side on the beach) and go snorkelling along the reef about 200m from the shore. Some superb snorkelling and the water is so clear!! We did the snorkelling tour to Mnemba Island, but the snorkelling off the beach from the resort was actually better. The tour is a good experience though, but take seasick tablets as there were some passengers who weren't feeling so great on the trip back.
The stonetown tour is also well worth it. We did ours before our flight back home so we didn't have to be in the car too much (it's an hours drive) . It's a town lost in time.. felt like we'd gone back in time. The island is rich in history and I'd strongly recommend a half day tour to Stonetown (shopping is also good for curios etc). Just ask your tour guide not to take you to the fish market if you're a bit squeamish.
All in all its a lovely resort and I would definitely go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unwind at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar-Nungwi, set on the most northern tip of Zanzibar in Tanzania. Feel valued and cared for on arrival with a freshly baked DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie. Relax in a spacious guest room with a private balcony and ocean panoramas or upgrade to a two-room suite and feel pampered with a 30-minute house massage, fully stocked mini bar, and daily fruit basket.Boasting a traditional Zanzibar style with Makuti palm leaf roofs, this Nungwi hotel offers spectacular sea views and direct beach access. Relax on pristine, white sand with sun beds and parasols and explore the tropical waters while scuba diving or snorkeling. Plunge into the outdoor, freshwater pool or sip on cocktails and fresh fruit juices from Dolphin’s pool bar. Continue your exercise routine in the modern fitness center or enjoy morning yoga on the beach.Savor innovative international and fusion specialties at Fisherman Bar & Grill before admiring the Zanzibar sunset and trying authentic Shisha aromatic tobacco. Enjoy traditional, live entertainment at Ngalawa Restaurant and savor delicious local cuisine next to the beach.Celebrate your dream wedding with stunning, exotic backdrops, host your special event on the beach, or choose from three flexible function rooms for your next corporate meeting of up to 100 guests. Stay productive in the well-equipped business center and enjoy complimentary parking and WiFi throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotelopia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Expedia, Holiday Gems, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Hotel Nungwi
- DoubleTree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Zanzibar Island