DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
US$92
US$262
US$200
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
1,735 results
All reviewsdouble treepool barfisherman's grillall inclusive packagedifferent themestone townfront desk managerbeach frontlow tidelocal villagebeach boysspecial thankshotel groundsthe hotel managerocean viewevening entertainmentour honeymoon
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We have just been back from a wonderful holiday at Doubletree by Hilton.
The review by gmv80 echoes my sentiments. A totally unbiased truthful review!
The GM Steven S and staff were excellent and the service was swift and ungrudging. Just ask and it will be brought to you if available-like the jackfruit and custard apples!
Please give more attention to the African Grey- he loves granadillas,bananas and sunflower seeds.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Preggie2013
Stephan S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Preggie2013,

it was really a pleasure to have both of you with us!!!
For sure we are taking care of our little friend, she is also crazy about,
pepper seeds and chili's!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Fantastic service and happy attitude. Excellent deal to include breakfast and explore the island for lunch and dinners. We experienced just two little issues: 1. Moisture in the rooms that make them smell fungie. 2. Beach front in the hotel was not very clean which made us use the beach fronts from other hotels.

1  Thank Erik V

Dear Erik V,

we are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us!
The humidity causes sometimes a damp smell in the rooms and
we are just about to have a system working to balance that.
With having the AC running twice a day for an hour the air is dried enough
to avoid any unpleasant smells.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I am writing my review directly from my ocean facing room upon my second stay at Doubletree Nungwi within 2 months since my first stay - and that says it all.

I can't honestly understand some negative reviews especially concerning the staff and the food.
The staff are all extremely polite and hard working and you don't absolutely get the "pole pole" attitude that I have found elsewhere in the Island. I was impressed and touched when each and single worker from reception to waiters and even gardeners came to shake my hand and welcome me back!

I like to give a special mention to Abdul, a trainee cook I think, who was so sweet to open up a jackfruit for me and other guests to try.

As for the food, how can anyone complain? You have so much fish done in all fashions - I'm always overdosing on the octopus - chicken, grilled meat.. Vegetables in any fashion - how can anyone complain there are not enough vegetables?
I'm still dreaming about those sweet potatoes in coconut milk!!
Saying that there is not enough choice or turnover is a lie. The fact is that most guests show up at the restaurant like it's the last meal they will have so they put EVERYTHING into one plate - or four - so within 2 days they will have already eaten everything.

The beach is lovely and for those who are not experts in natural matters:
1) the beautiful sand is a product of friction of water, corals and shells so will you stop picking up shells from the beach?!
2) seaweed: read the name, sea weed. The belong to the sea, they retain nutrients for fish and other sea creatures. Why on earth would you have to remove them.
3) tides. It's not the manager and not even Poseidon that decides depending on their mood or to bother the guests. It's a matter of gravitational forces. And keep in mind that Nungwi is somehow the location in Zanzibar that is less affected by low tide - go talk a 2km walk in Kiwengwa!

I will agree that there are a few too many bottles and other left overs around the beach but that is more a cultural problem than anything else - must also remember that there are no bins anywhere on the beach and also that the sea does its part in bringing garbage back to where it belongs.
But I take extensive barefoot walks daily without problems of any sort.

The rooms now. I must mention that I work in the construction of luxury hotels and I am a bit puzzled as to why the chain does not invest to upgrade this prime location property into a real luxury property. It would take a rather small investment and have an amazing outcome. Instead it is a fairly priced property with a standard 4 star offering and service.

But I don't want to let my job get in the way so I will only make two negative points that are fairly objective: one is that the bed sheets are sub-standard quality often with holes and never ironed - that especially goes for pillow cases and it is a big turn off for me.

The second is that in both the lovely ocean front rooms I've stayed although the bathrooms are super clean and extra spacious the showers are completely open lacking any glass wall, wall or even curtain to keep bouncing water from spilling out over the floor.

All in all I strongly suggest this property to anyone looking for a relaxing beach holiday in a lovely environment with attentive staff and management.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank gmv80

Dear gmv80,

there is of course nothing to add from our side.
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience!
We are glad that you enjoy the time with us and hopefully the second time is not the last
time (if so, only for this year :-) )

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We staid with my wife in Double-tree for 8 days. The hotel is very nice a we are satisfied with it. All staff are extremely friendly a helpful. Problem of this hotel is beach only. During the low tide sea is very far away (about 1km). And the biggest problem is rubbish everywhere on the beach. It was impossible to walk barely foot because of the garbage.

1  Thank Matr0s
Stephan S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Matr0s,

thank you very much for the nice review and the time taken to post.
It is truly a shame how much rubbish is thrown into the sea all over the world.
A lot of things from our industrial world are not a praise for nature and sometimes our property here in the secluded north of Zanzibar is effected by it!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

The hotel is great, everything you can expect from Doubletree quality. However, Kendwa beach looks significantly bigger and more inviting compared to the beaches in Nungwi where this hotel is located - so if I ever go to Zanzibar again, I'll probably give a hotel in Kendwa area a shot.

Dear OzgurErpek,

also here a big thank you for your nice review!
If you are back on Zanzibar and giving another hotel in Kendwa a try, feel free to visit us :-)