“Romance Out of Africa” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Crosskeys, United Kingdom
“Romance Out of Africa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed at this resort for a long weekend while working in Dar es Salem, An organised trip when in Tanzania, booked the ferry at the port and the hotel on line it was Cheaper than Chips in the U.K. Taxi from hotel to ferry port for a ferry trip to the island landing in stone town - the location were Freddy mercury was born visit the local bar in stone town before leaving- the taxi was booked when at the port by a local taxi sales guy as you board, I highly recommend this as they will be insured to take you to any resort within Zanzibar Always ask before you take a ride, If the taxi driver do not carry the relevant papers the police will charge YOU as a bribe to continue your journey this may happen more than once Be WARNED!!!
The double tree hotel is a fair distance from the port but a welcoming drive to arrival through the local villages then the gates of the resort welcome you, once in you will be shown to your accommodation an apartment which will be decorated with rose petals in all rooms and the bedding fabulous for that romantic reception for your partner. It will overlook the most beautiful outlook of Sky Blue Indian ocean and white sands before it = this was in my case about 100 metres.
The beach you can walk as far as it takes you passing various beach located bars and eating places tables on the beach in the evening A nice touch. the hotel has its own pool with bar and usual health facilities and commodities you would expect from a highly respectable chain of hotels - absolutely enjoyed the experience of being within the confinements of the Indian ocean plenty of time to sit around watch the world go bye . Falling out of the time Zone just the sun going down in the evening and the first light of day. Fantastic location for the experienced traveller with confidence .

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Roland_garoute, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear Guest,

The Doubletree Nungwi team thank you for taking the time to share your experience whislt visiting Zanzibar and your time at the resort and its peaceful and natural surrounding

we are happy to have contributed to a pleasant and relaxing stay and hope that you will be able to come back foera second visit of the spice island

Sunny regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Genoa, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

My friend Elisabetta and I spent a week at the resort and everything was perfect: the staff was extremely attentive and very kind, thanks to the Front Desk Manager, Godfrey, who was the perfect host ! The set up of the Buffet was very good, a lot of choice, and the dinners on the beach were wonderful,
The All inclusive treatment was a fantastic idea: water, coffee, wine, beers, very tasty pizzas, fruits at any time of the day, free minibar, very confortable (till late...) opening times for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
The location is excellent, the beach in front of you and the pool as well !

Room Tip: For us the first floor was perfect, on the third building from reception, you see from your balcony...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank isolde111
cape town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

One must never expect too much when you have booked a budget package: In our case we had an all inclusive package: great package - all soft drinks included: we do not do alcohol so it was perfect as far as the drinks were concerned - even some of the special non-alcoholic mixes at the pool were included. All meals were included - included was also the french fries at the pool. Meals were not at the top of A-la-Carte list but reasonable - and quite a variety to choose from at the buffet.

As the Island is predominantly muslim we did not have to worry about eggs being friend in a bacon pan - as the omletes and other egg specials did not contain any bacon - so no problems there.

Staff were welcoming and friendly with the words "hakuna matata" uttered regularly meaning " No Problem".

So overall we had an ball of a time - the location, although situated in an extremely poor village "Nungwi" was ideal -

For South African travellers - try to fly direct to Zanzibar - Mango flies direct otherwise you have to fly to Dares Salaam and the by ferry or small 10 seater prop aircaft (20mins).

Room Tip: not to worry - you can see the ocean from all rooms: only the rooms on the edge can see the ocean on...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RidwanWagiet
Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I have travelled with my family soon after the new years and I feel like other people need to know the reality of this place, so they don't go through the same.

The rooms are dirty, they smell bad, I moved 3 times and the problem was the same. There is a big humidity, mold problem in the rooms. So, if you have any health problems, be careful. The linen either it has wholes or it is stained. I was told by the front desk manager, Mr. Goffey, to be careful with the water when showering or brushing my teeth, since it not potable. Front desk, the staff does not speak english and you get the feeling that they don't want to help you, you are better off going to the restaurant and ask for assistance, even if it is a room problem. At least they are always running around with a smile and asking you over and over if you need anything. At least that is what I did.

The pool is a disgrace, there are more tiles missing than tiles on the pool. And honestly I have read some of the responses from the general manager and I don't care that he knows about the situation, I don't care that you are working on it. It is too late and me and my family had a very bad experience staying at your hotel. The fact is that you are open, taking my money and not providing me with what a DoubleTree by Hilton should.

The food at the buffet is good, with a lot of variety. I had the pleasure of meeting the Chef and F&B manager, great gentlemen, you can tell are trying very hard. You see them there from early morning to late evening, kudos to them! Coming to the restaurant was always the highlight of the day, the friendliness and service provided by the staff was superb. My number #1 server was Luthabigwa (I hope I wrote it right). Also, I want to commend the security staff and the animation team.

There is an older women going around, I am not sure what she does there, my guess is guests relations, but it was very obvious that if you are not french she will not interact with you, SAD!!!

All in all, not what I would expect for my vacations in a Hilton, I am very disappointed and I don't recommend this hotel to anyone. Better off staying at a B&B.

Mr. general manager, please don't bother giving me crappy excuses, if you have experience you know that this hotel does not meet basic standards. Just agree with me!

Room Tip: Asked them to show you your room before taking it!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
15 Thank Frank N
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

we booked this hotel about 6 months ago but were getting a little concerned about the negative recent reviews but we need not have worried
the room was large and well equipped and comfortable and any musty smell soon went when you put on the air con as suggested by the management on the little sticker next to the switch.
the room was spotlessly clean and the flowers on the bed a nice touch.
the housekeeping was a little haphazard but any problems soon sorted with a quick phone call to reception.
all the staff were very friendly and seemed happy
the breakfast was good with lots of choice and the standards of hygene seemed very high with no dirty plates left hanging around and so there were few flies and everything was spotlessly clean..
the evening buffet had a good variety and quality but was not very hot.
we eat once in the a la carte restaurant but were disappointed by the miniscule portions i.e about 3 mouthfuls of chicken in the tikka masala so did not eat there agan.
the location is stunning with great views and we enjoyed walking on the reef in the mornings looking for starfish etc.
we stayed here for 6 nights and enjoyed our stay very much and wonder if the people who have posted such derogatory reviews should perhaps take their holidays in places other than 3rd world countries as I think their expectations are perhaps too high-t. I. a .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Joseph L
Roland_garoute, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Gues,

Thank you for your valued comments; it is reassuring to see that some people are taking their vacations to third world countries as it should be; a refreshing look at a simple but genuine way of life amongst sereine natural beauty that cannot be found anymore in industrialized countries
We will definitely continue to work towards improving in areas where we know we are not quite there yet and your constructive remarks will heps moving forward to achieve higher standards in the future
We hope to welcome you again one day in Doubletree Nungwi

Sunny regards
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Hi, i just thought i'll share my experience I'm currently having @ the Double Tree Zanzibar, i checked in today and will check out next week Saturday. This really was an awesome day, the staff was very welcoming and my room has all the necessary stuff one would require whilst on holiday. i would agree to some of the previous comments made however after arriving and experiencing things for my self, i must say that an experience is what u make it to be, stop whining and move on, every country has its own ways of doing things, if u understand Zanzibar culture and ways, you will forgive and move on. If you want a proper 4star or 5 star experience stick to countries in the west.
Ps. It's my first day but i don't think that i would have a bad holiday even if they hotel mess up anything. The beauty and tranquility of this place just blocks everything else that might seem problematic to others.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Diresh r
Jerusalem, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

We spent 4 nights at the Double Tree last week. Several months ago, the hotel's website offered a buy 1 room get second 50% off. However, the website wouldn't let us actually book the discount offer and Hilton said we had to go to through the hotel. After several emails and long phone calls directly with the hotel, we were finally allowed to book the discount. Difficult start.

We landed in Zanzibar and got a taxi to the hotel ($50 - despite what the official looking paperwork at the taxi queue says). We were given rooms 106 and 107.

Grounds - the grounds are in very good shape, the plants and flowers were beautiful, and the buildings in overall good condition.

Pool - the problem of broken tiles must be addressed. The literally 20 broken tiles coming off the pool each day is enough to NOT stay at this hotel. It's a shame, because it could be a pretty pool, but I'm sure Management knows the lost revenue from closing the pool for 2 months to retile. However, it's a safety issue with sharp tiles laying at the bottom of the pool. The pool water also needs to be filtered better as it looked like there was a lot of dead skin floating around.

Beach - the beach is beautiful and the water incredible. There is not enough space to actually lay on the beach due to the changing tide and the touts are a tremendous hassle & quite annoying. Be careful for the sea urchins because they really, really hurt. Still amazing beach!

Rooms - I don't mind an older room, but there was a strange PineSol/mildew smell in both rooms that at times required me to go outside. It wasn't just our rooms, but it seems the same smell came out of most of the rooms. The bed was wonderful and the sheets nice and clean. They could use some new towels, but what they gave us were fine. The room would have been fine were it not for the smell. It's also obvious that the filters on the air conditioning units are never cleaned.

Customer Service - the customer service here is fantastic all the way around - 100%!!

Food - we got 1/2 board - breakfast and dinner. The food is all buffet style and with a diverse group of customers, the chef can only get so exotic. Each dinner had a different theme and I thought the food overall was just above average. No real complaints and the staff was excellent. The restaurant opens at 6:30pm and we were always the 1st ones there since our kids eat at 6pm.

If the pool were fixed and the smell taken care of in the rooms, I'd easily stay there again. I'd stay there again if only 1 of these were fixed.

Room Tip: Smell the room before you accept it!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Grawburg
Roland_garoute, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your mixed review and valuable comments on various areas of the property

As you mentionned it, we are very much aware of the inherent problems of the pool and various other issues and yes it is not possible to close the pool during the high season
This job is scheduled for next April as are many other renovation projects aimed at rejuvenating the property

We take all constructive comments very seriously and I personally review them during our morning briefing; be assured that your will be very useful to implement improvement trainings in order achieve an even better experience for our guests

Best wishes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
Melia Zanzibar
#6 of 17 in Nungwi
My Blue Hotel
My Blue Hotel
#9 of 17 in Nungwi

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi? Share your experiences!