The setting: You are an hour away from the Zanzibar airport by car. This is a tiring drive after a long flight. There are beach properties closer to the airport. There is a small village, Nungwi fronting the hotel. The road from the airport is smooth but once you enter the village you will face a horrific dirt road to access the hotel. Hilton should have at least fixed the road for the village community! The entry area is spacious and outdoor. There are six blocks of rooms and a couple smaller buildings with only beachfront rooms. If you can afford it, stay in a beachfront room as the view to the sea is beautiful. There is a large buffet restaurant, a smaller a la carte restaurant and bar and a pool bar. The beach is nothing to write home about and there are no Bali beds. The sun is not too strong in July, but in hotter months, the lack of good sun cover could be a problem.
The rooms: The rooms a musty, but spacious. The bathrooms are spacious as well. Water pressure is decent but there are no rain showers and the water in the shower is salty. The beds are comfortable and the flat screen TVs have international channels. The wifi is good but singing on to the network can be a nightmare. Toiletries are nondescript.
The food: The all inclusive plan is worth it as it costs as much as a la carte would and you don't have to worry about drinks during the day. The food is hit or miss. Most dishes approximate their namesakes but do not come close. There is always a fish, chicken and beef option. All chicken dishes are bone in. Breakfast is plentiful but not amazing.
All in all: The staff is friendly and accommodating but some do not speak adequate English. The prices here are cheap for a western chain hotel, but when you include all inclusive fees, you can stay at a more upscale place. The tide goes out at 10 am and doesn't return until 3pm, so swimming in the ocean, during the day is impossible. The water in the ocean and the pool is cold, so beware. Management here aims to please and offered complimentary all inclusive to smooth out the bumps we experienced. Come and stay here if you are on a budget. If you are used to luxury, this is not the place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unwind at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar-Nungwi, set on the most northern tip of Zanzibar in Tanzania. Feel valued and cared for on arrival with a freshly baked DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie. Relax in a spacious guest room with a private balcony and ocean panoramas or upgrade to a two-room suite and feel pampered with a 30-minute house massage, fully stocked mini bar, and daily fruit basket.Boasting a traditional Zanzibar style with Makuti palm leaf roofs, this Nungwi hotel offers spectacular sea views and direct beach access. Relax on pristine, white sand with sun beds and parasols and explore the tropical waters while scuba diving or snorkeling. Plunge into the outdoor, freshwater pool or sip on cocktails and fresh fruit juices from Dolphin’s pool bar. Continue your exercise routine in the modern fitness center or enjoy morning yoga on the beach.Savor innovative international and fusion specialties at Fisherman Bar & Grill before admiring the Zanzibar sunset and trying authentic Shisha aromatic tobacco. Enjoy traditional, live entertainment at Ngalawa Restaurant and savor delicious local cuisine next to the beach.Celebrate your dream wedding with stunning, exotic backdrops, host your special event on the beach, or choose from three flexible function rooms for your next corporate meeting of up to 100 guests. Stay productive in the well-equipped business center and enjoy complimentary parking and WiFi throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, Jovago.com, Odigeo, Holiday Gems and Hotelopia so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Hotel Nungwi
- DoubleTree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Zanzibar Island