Imagine the scene: 3 a.m in Nungwi and 4 female guests being told by the rudest receptionist and inexperienced new management to "either pay an additional $400 for the rooms or leave".
We had stayed for 3 nights at the Hilton, already spent over $1,000 and had decided to book another 3 nights stay through the website ‘laterooms.com’. After a 5 hour discussion as to whether the Hilton could release our room keys based on our internet booking, the receptionist, who at midnight turned around and said she had enough and was going to bed (at least she had that luxury), finally informed us that the issue was our booking reference number did not begin with the number 3 – “Sorry sisters, please leave”. Head of operations did nothing other than say “it's not right for you to be on the streets at this time in Africa, you can afford $200 each surely? Just pay, I want to sleep with a clear conscious tonight”. Surely the 22 year old new general manager, straight out from business school into daddy’s hotel, could see this was unacceptable?? “Absolutely, that’s why in a 100-room hotel with no guests but the four of you, I’m giving you the option of ‘pay me right now or leave at 3am (rather than sensibly resolving the issue with the bookings the next day) and, while I’m at it, let me lock you in the hotel and get security out to intimidate my female guests.”
Yes, the beach front was spectacular (not that the manager would have known, he doesn’t “do the sea”, nor does he "do Africa") and the rest of the local staff were very friendly, despite the disrespectful and condescending way they were spoken to by management, but being thrown out of your hotel in Africa in the middle of the night, with no alternatives, is just unacceptable. The Hilton should take responsibility for negligently employing such inexperienced and disrespectful staff to run a family hotel. They failed to provide a minimal level of duty of care towards its guests.
If you want a safe and relaxing holiday we would warn you NOT TO BOOK this hotel.
Book The Zanzibari Hotel instead, 1st class hotel on every front.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unwind at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar-Nungwi, set on the most northern tip of Zanzibar in Tanzania. Feel valued and cared for on arrival with a freshly baked DoubleTree chocolate chip cookie. Relax in a spacious guest room with a private balcony and ocean panoramas or upgrade to a two-room suite and feel pampered with a 30-minute house massage, fully stocked mini bar, and daily fruit basket.Boasting a traditional Zanzibar style with Makuti palm leaf roofs, this Nungwi hotel offers spectacular sea views and direct beach access. Relax on pristine, white sand with sun beds and parasols and explore the tropical waters while scuba diving or snorkeling. Plunge into the outdoor, freshwater pool or sip on cocktails and fresh fruit juices from Dolphin’s pool bar. Continue your exercise routine in the modern fitness center or enjoy morning yoga on the beach.Savor innovative international and fusion specialties at Fisherman Bar & Grill before admiring the Zanzibar sunset and trying authentic Shisha aromatic tobacco. Enjoy traditional, live entertainment at Ngalawa Restaurant and savor delicious local cuisine next to the beach.Celebrate your dream wedding with stunning, exotic backdrops, host your special event on the beach, or choose from three flexible function rooms for your next corporate meeting of up to 100 guests. Stay productive in the well-equipped business center and enjoy complimentary parking and WiFi throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotelopia, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, Holiday Gems and Jovago.com so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Hotel Nungwi
- DoubleTree By Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi Zanzibar Island