“GREAT EXPIRIENCE ....”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“GREAT EXPIRIENCE ....”
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I am a travel agent and before coming to Hilton I had my doubts !!! But they were all gone once i stepped in paradise ...
I loved the international guests from all over the world who stayed at these hotel , the food was excellect ...i would higly recommended to everyone who needs to lay back and simply relax

Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank lonij

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Poor hotel, no resort at all. Do not stay here if you want the real honeymoon feeling. The food is to a very low standard, menu lacks so much. The management are rude and ignorant. Rooms are okay, nothing luxury as we would expect and Housekeeper is rude and surprised Hilton can employ management like this. The remainder of the management were similar so not the type of people you want pictures with when you leave.
Operations manager was a waste of time and patronising at times. Front office was helpful at times.

Overpriced but would be okay if this would turn into a real resort. One restaruant does not do it for me.

If you want a good stay, friendly staff, good memories and good to a 5* standard.... Le Gemma is the place. I visited the hotel as I was attending a wedding and its the place we all dream about!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
DonnaThomas, Resort Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this review, 17 February 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, It is disheartening to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. I will raise your feedback with the relevant departments to ensure your comments are addressed.

At the Doubletree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar we are constantly reviewing our service, to reach to the highest possible standards and your comments help us to do this.

At the pool bar we do serve also snacks and one of the best pizzas in the area, I hope you had a chance to enjoy this.

We would hope to have the opportunity to give you a better experience here in the future.
australia
Reviewed 16 January 2011

This hotel is about an hours drive from stonetown. Check-inn was great. Room comfortable. Food at the restaurant pretty ordinary. I was expecting more variety. Most of the sunlounges are taken before 9am. Some people put their stuff on it and then go to breaky. There is seriously a lack of supply for the demand. Beach out the front of the hotel is unswimmbale at low tide. Turn left and you will hit mucher nicer spots to swim and eat. My partner and I booked a massage. It wasnt written down. When we rocked up, they had just commenced anouther massage session for two hours so we missed out. We werent very impressed by that. Management responded with a free bottle of red wine.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2011

The hotel is located on the northern tip of Nungwi, between Flame Tree Cottages (left) and the light house (right). The hotel website is not very helpful on this issue.

This is not a 5 star hotel by any means - and you have to remember upon arrival to switch into "Hakuna Matata Gear".

Of our 2 reserved rooms, only one was on the system ... giving us a few tense moments. Eventually, they found us another one - and the rooms are comfy, quite large and the bed linen is crisp. However, what you will not find is a folder containing information about the hotel, restaurant opening hours - or room service. Room service does exist - there just is not a menu for it. You can call reception, ask to be put through to the restaurant and place your order. Hakuna Matata ...

The food isn't great. It's pizzas by the pool (heaped with cheese) and buffets for dinner (chicken, beef and fish - different themes). However, there's always entertainment, which tends to make up for dinner not being a culinary feast.

The bar area is wonderful though; it has a pool table and a table tennis table in an adjoining room and is perfect for sundowners.

As for the funny things that happened:

One morning, we dragged our own sun beds into the shade under an umbrella and went for a walk on the beach. When we came back, the pool attendant had given our sun beds to someone else, despite all our gear on it ... not so hakuna matata.

We went for dinner one night and when we were asked our room number, we gave it to them: 208. After we had our starter, the waiter came back and asked us our name - we gave it to him. After we had our main course, the manager came over and asked us if it was possible that our room no was 308? No, it was definitely 208. She eventually returned and told us that we had to move to this new room after dinner, because our shower apparently leaked in 208. So after dinner, we had to pack up all our belongings and move to another room ... quite funny in retrospect.

The spa is ok - the massages are definitely enjoyable - but the beauty treatments (facial, manicure & pedicure - included in the mother and daughter package) were not worth doing.

The diving outfit from the hotel is ok, though it does take 3 hours from leaving the hotel to actually commencing your first dive on the Mnemba atoll - or at least it did on the day we went, due to an en-route stop at Ras Nungwi to pick up more divers and all the tanks.

The tour desk of the hotel is manned by Monica between 8am and 5pm. She arranged a fantastic tour for us to Mr Abeid's Spice Farm - which was really excellent.

However, the location is absolutely fantastic. The hotel is a stone throw from the fish market, turtle museum and light house - so it's all just a short walk on the beach away. There are many restaurants on the left hand side of the hotel, as well as the diving center that the hotel uses. Using the front entrance, a short walk gets you into the center of Nungwi, with a supermarket and several dive shops.

Remember to bring everything you need. The hotel has no hotel shop - and the supermarket in Nungwi does not have a lot of things you will recognize ...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Tropical_diver_9
zambia
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Good very comfortable beds, white cotton sheets, feather pillows. Good bathroom, everthing worked, drinking water supplied, air con. It has a pool which was good.

Beach in front is not brilliant for swimming in but if you turn left out of the hotel and walk along a bit, you get to a great beach, with good swimming area, with ladies offering henna, tiny supermarket, cafes etc.

The Management of Hilton should do something about the litter outside the hotel. If you look over the wall from your room you see the football pitch and a huge pile of rubbish and waste and plastic. The Hilton was full whilst we were there and in its capacity as a Big Corporate, can easily afford to do something to help the local people living around the Hilton (of which there are many) to clear the rubbish. At the moment this is plainly not evident.

Bit expensive just for the rooms, we didn't have any choice as this was the only hotel with available when we were there, although the rooms were very comfortable it is overpriced for what it is. We didn't eat at the Hilton as it is mainly buffet served in a huge dining room with very little atmosphere. We tried all the restaurants along the coast walking to them either for breakfast or dinner and found breakfast at smiles restaurant for $3.50. Very adequate, with friendly waiter service, if a bit slow. You must realise 'slow' is the order of the day regarding food service in Zanzibar and try not to let that be an issue. (Although we tried to eat at Cinnamon restaurant but had to wait for 2 hours and then only got half the order so ended up not eating here.)
Just relax and enjoy the view and remind the waiter that you have ordered food! Langilangi restaurant was good, but particularly enjoyed lobster and very good pizzas at Paradise restaurant next to Paradise beach.

Checking out at the Hilton was very slow and the upper management is nowhere to be seen, but we were dealt with finally by a very pleasant and helpful young man who did a great job in the end. I think the more trained higher management needs to be more available and not leave it all up to the local staff.

The hotel is basically set in part of Nungwi fishing village, and the view of the dhows in the morning is superb. The local people along the beach are exceptionally friendly and although they do try to sell you boat rides, snorkelling and so on, they leave you alone if you are not interested and if you are they take you on great snorkelling trips (US$25 per person) for a quarter of the price of the dive centers ($85 per person!) and in very good boats too, complete with life jackets and snorkelling gear.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2011

1. Very poor service generally
2. Airport transfer never turned up - refused to action
3. Dozens of people always looking for beach beds - ended up on the floor everyday
4. Food is poor
5. Bill on checkout was a mess - took an hour to sort out
6. Advertised as babysitting available - this was NOT the case
7. Staff canot speak or understand English well
8. Restaurant was a mess - half cutlery always missing!
9. The beach is NOT PRIVATE.
10. THIS HOTEL IS MORE LIKE A 3 STAR

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
DonnaThomas, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this review, 11 January 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide your value feedback. This has been raised with the management team and will certainly be followed up with each department to ensure they are addressed appropriately.
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I've never been so upset with an accomodation before as I am with this Doubletree.I'm happy go lucky and traveled day by day through out Tanzania booking on the whim everyday.This hotel and The Al Johori in Stonetown were the only places I pre booked upon depature.My cousin was going to join me in my stay in Nungwi however being a school teacher she wasn't sure how logical it would be since I'd be here before the holiday break.So thinking I was doing the correct thing I booked a Queen bed room with seaview just single occupancy.Tanzania is the only country that I have found to charge more for double occupancy.I didn't want any hassles for the end of my safari.Last minute my friend was able to occompany me to the Doubletree.I thought wonderful.Especailly with the room I had booked.Not so wonderful.Upon arrival I was told it was booked as a single and it would be a extra $50 USD."Would that be ok?" Well where would he go?!On the other side of the gate that closes u in the compound for two days and look at it!I sure couldn't do that.After asking for company thinking I was being nice it cost me more and more.Than the occupations manager was to get back to me the next morning.He watched us go & get breakfest.I was sure this issue was going to be resolved in the correct manner.After all I'm paying $145USD on off season.Not so much.He watched him get his tomato which were sliced in half and cooked.And two cups of coffee.That came to an extra $10 USD a day.That wasn't included in the extra fee for my guest!!!They are straight CROOKS!!!!!!Then the manager had the reception boy handle the situation while he ran off!!!He responded that he didn't want to tell us before breakfest and start the day like that.However there are plentny of other options for breakfest there or else where for someone with a minimal appitite then being charged an extra $10 USD for a tomato & two cups of coffee.I was beyond disappointed with the establishment and their service.It was just my experience with them and I'm beyond shocked since my mother is a prefered guest with Hilton Hotels.I made out much happier and less stressed with the cheaper accomodations along my journey.this was suppose to be the relaxing beach end to a wonderful safari.It just stressed me out the most along my travel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
DonnaThomas, Resort Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi, responded to this review, 6 January 2011
Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations.

I have looked at the history of your reservation and can confirm it was booked for single occupancy at a discounted rate in one of our deluxe rooms on the seafront, during our high season. Our rates are based on amount of people sharing a room, hence the additional cost.

Our buffet breakfast is not always included in the room rate and our guests can eat as much or as little as they wish for a set price. I do understand your frustration over this and realise we could have been more flexible. Full information of your inclusions should have been provided to you upon check-in. I will ensure your feedback is discussed with the relevant departments and this will be incorporated into our ongoing training program.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
Essque Zalu Zanzibar
My Blue Hotel
#10 of 17 in Nungwi
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Zanzibar - Stone Town

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi? Share your experiences!