“Really inconsistent”

Ranked #19 of 43 Speciality Lodging in Nungwi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Really inconsistent”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The bungalows are right on the beach, with a great view from the front porch. Unfortunately, that means entrepreneurs can walk right up to the front porch with their wares, so you sometimes have to go inside to end the sales pitches. One night a man came and banged on the windows and shouted. I presume he walked off the beach? Some staff were incredibly friendly and kind, but the front office was invariably rude. We'd negotiated a price when I arrived, and they'd agreed to transport me to the dala dala stop when I checked out. When the time came, they charged a good deal more and told me to walk to the station. Not such a big deal- it's only a mile or so, and people don't melt in the rain- but the chorus of "f*** you's" on the way out seemed unnecessary.

Room Tip: I'd go elsewhere, but if you stay, the separate bungalows farther from the reception area are mo...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank juniper p

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I spent around a week at Jambo Brothers, as it was towards the end of a 3 month solo backpacking trip, and I was getting a little wore out. First off, if it's low season, you can negotiate a pretty good price. I think I paid around $10 a night (Canadian) for a room with 2 bunk beds, and a private bathroom. It's not right on the water, but it's only about a 30 second walk to the beach. My toilet worked, my shower had hot water most of the time, and the room was reasonably clean. It's pretty central, close to everything. It's also one of the first stops the shuttle makes on the trip up from Stonetown. There's no wifi, but you can head up the beach to the Hilton and just leech off of them. I'd stay at Jambo Brothers again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 February 2014

It was a fine place compared to the price (It's possible to discuss the price). We had some problems with our toilet and shower, but we did not expect much since it was so cheap. There are many young people staying there, and it's close to everything.
The manager, Jimmy, told us that he wanted to help us book tickets for the ferry back to Dar, but he needed to give 20$ for the booking, and then we could pay the rest when we arrived to the ferry. When he came back he told us that everything was fine and he had made the reservation for us. The day we were leaving I had to make sure again, and then he told me that he had not booked any tickets and he came up with lots of stories. I asked him about my 20$ and he said they were in a hotel in Stonetown (where some of my friends were going to stay), and he had used the money to book the room at the hotel, and we would get the money in the reception. When we arrived to the hotel -of course- there were no money and when we called Jimmy again he said that the money was still in Nungwi with him. It was so sad that he cheated us like that, because besides that we were very happy with Jambo Brothers.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sara C

Travellers are raving about these Nungwi hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

For the price you pay, you can't really moan about it! $30 per night per room with nice big bed, fair size bathroom and generally clean.
We spent all day everyday on the beach which was a stumble outside the front door and was just everything as perfect as you can imagine.
Can't go far wrong really not too bad. Although try not to leave your stuff hanging on the line outside, we had a one pair of shorts pinched the one time we forgot to bring it in. No big deal though!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nicola C
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 November 2013

cheapest place I could find(last week of travels..)
Very nice spot still, close to the beach, sweet owners: I was in sick for a day, they came asking if I was alright because I didn't show up for breakfast.
About the breakfast: nothing special. Rooms okay, not more than you need.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank geurie
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The rooms are bare, the pillows hard and breakfast leaves much to be desired but hey you are in Nungwi and practically on the beach for only $30 a night! You are paying for location here, no doubt about it. Close to the restaurant and bar strip, plus the massages, souveneirs, food and activities are all cheaper down that end too! Might I just suggest you may like to bring your own linen.....

Room Tip: Check the facilities before you agree to the room, our hot water never worked.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank allycat03
kinshasa
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Choosing Nungwi was easy from the reviews and feedback received from fellow travelers as its one of the most beautiful beaches in Zanzibar.....where the water is pristine .....and the views are mesmerizing.....well we choose Jambo brothers as we were on a budget and the location and price suited us perfectly ....our room was 30 meters from the beach and it was like an extended part of the accommodation ....the bathrooms were clean and the room was of decent size with lots of space and comfortable bed....breakfast was included in our stay and they served some pretty good meals too.....i would definitely recommend it primarily because of its location.

Room Tip: If you are on a budget and need a place right next to the beach..this one is for you...!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends