So I arrived to be greeted by an old college mate of mine who is now the Executive Sous chef @ Essque Zalu hotel. His name, Ian van der Walt, his characteristics, charming, sophisticated and wise. He has an in depth understanding about this beautifully created yet somewhat gargantuan establishment. As a chef myself, at Mnemba Island, I was blown away by not only the kitchen and its toys but by the food produced by it. There are 3 dining areas at Zalu, the ala carte restaurant, the Market kitchen (including full deli) and the restaurant out on the Jetty. All of which have incredibly tasty plates to choose from and to my surprise, very reasonably priced.
My meal @ Market kitchen:
Starter: Spinach and feta ravioli in a beurre noisette
Main: Beef Fillet (cooked to perfection) with trufflued brocolli puree, classic chips and Bearnaise sauce
Dessert: Collared creme brulee with passion fruit ice cream
Oh my word, twas all thoroughly delicious and served without pretense.
An upper bar area casts an incredible view over the architectually astounding infinity pool that creates an atmosphere of iminent freedom, complete with fountains and a built in hot tub.
The staff...all welcoming...literally...Karibu sana voiced at you with smiles of true sincerity. The rooms, what can I say, I pride myself on having slept on some comfortable beds in my lifetime and valued many good nights sleep but @ Zalu the bed I slept in made me feel at home in paradise. Waking with such rejuvination and hopping into a well pressured luxury shower room with high end European toiletries (which I did not knick btw).
All in all even with the extravagent design that, at first, I will admit to be a bit intimidating, it all comes together. Once you explore the art gallery, the 50 meter jetty, the elborate entrance hall and of course the unparalleled professionalism of all involved, it simply just works. I will be back again without a doubt
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take a deep breath of fresh Indian ocean air, relax and unwind. Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove in the north east coast of Unguja (alias Zanzibar). Essque Zalu Zanzibar combines contemporary luxury with a real sense of place. This boutique hotel has the turquoise waters of the Indian ocean to one side and lush green forest to the other, and there is just a hint of spice in the warm and fragrant tropical air. At Essque Zalu Zanzibar, create your own personal paradise, your own kind of luxury, an experience of a lifetime. Choose from 40 individual suites and 8 villas all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Our suites offer a luxurious-styled space crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched makuti roof. From farm to table, we take great pride in our sumptuous cooking. Satisfy your taste buds with a choice of two unique restaurants, three well stocked bars and a variety of destination dining experiences. Unashamedly indulgent, the Spa comprises of two couples treatment rooms, four single rooms, vichy shower, a sauna and steam room - a haven of restorative and rejuvenating perfection. Using only 100% truly organic and natural ingredients, our focus is on capturing the intelligence of nature in the restorative process. We know that the essence of nature can synergistically interact with the energy system, and this knowledge forms the basis of our Africology creations, all orchestrated to help you lead a more holistic lifestyle. Essque Zalu is your outpost into the first steps of the wildness and tranquility of Zanzibar. Reconnect with nature and experience a land rich in life and uninhabited space. We offer guests the opportunity to partake in activities to experience some of the islands most Spectacular and scenic excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Southall Travel, HostelWorld, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Nungwi