My wife and I have stayed in quite a few boutique resorts around the world and this ranks right up with the best of them. We booked this for a week at the end of a 4 week African safari holiday on the strength of reviews and the hotel website etc On arrival we were treated as valued guests and this treatment was maintained by all of the staff and, especially, the Manager, Nicolas, who went out of his way to contact all guests seemingly daily to attend to our well being - well done Nicolas - very thoughtful and personal and thank you for adding value to our stay re advice on the Hotel organised tours (we went on Safari Blue, Stone Town, Spice tour and a sunset dow sail - all fantastic, well run.and relaxing). On arrival the impact of the vast atrium / reception is quite stunning as was the walk with our 'Navigator' Edgar, to our lovely Garden suite where drinks were ordered for us on arrival and turned up as we entered - nice. The suite itself was sharp, modern and roomy with a private balcony on the second floor. Nice flowers scattered about when houskeepng turned our beds down nightly. Very very comfortable and private. The bed was absolutley huge and also very comfortable. All conveniences were 'first class' and a very reasonable mini bar provided! The Garden suites overlook an absolutely impecable and lush tropical garden and provide an immediate and tranqil environment to relax. The hotel enjoys many pleasant paths to wander through and all are lush and highly maintained. Being only 18 months old the Hotel seems to be up and running very smoothly. When I reported an issue with the toilet immediate action was taken to rectify while we we out enjoying the Hotels facilities. we dined regularly at the main restaurant for breakfast and dinner and the food was excellent - presented and cooked to perfection by the resident Chef who, I understand has been on the island for some 15 years and he certainly knows his produce and craft - so fresh and delicious - we did not venture out of the Hotel for dinner elsewhere! The traditional Swahili 4 cource menu choice (3 menus offered) was my favourite. On our last night we booked a table upstairs, where there is also a gallery, in the fine dining restaurant and tried the warthog and Impala main courses - simply wonderful with music provided by a great local band through the evening. The main salt water pool with spa and massage falls is absolutley stunning with 'forever' sides, that seemingly blend with the sea from within and you cant but help to relax in one of the many in or by pool balconies while having an ocassional fruit kebab and refreshing drink (soft or coconut) provided gratis while you lounge and idle your time away. The staff are all so attentive and appear from nowhere if you need to move an umbrella or look as though you are in need of a drink or whatever. The main hotel building itself is architecturally very asthetic with high vaulted African woven trianglular roofs providing an enormious spacious, open and airy environment built seemingly in traditional pole and woven construction - quite amazing. At night the complex is well light but quite subdued and comfortable and we felt very safe at all times - security staff are always around but not apparent. 2 very different but excellent bands played outside the main restaurant on 2 nights and provided excellent 'African' ambience to while the mild evenings away. There is a choice of 3 bars, all very different and with excellent service. One of the restaurants open for lunch - with a bar, is located at the very end of a Jetty beyond the main pool. The walk, as with all walks in the Hotel complex is a photographers dream. Its very difficult to take a bad photo at Zalu with so much care taken in the design, construction and high level of maintenence, the affiliation with the environment is magnificent with a stunning bluer than blue sea and the occasional Dow sailing past. After returning from an excursion the reception staff where keen to seek our feedback on how our day was and interested in our well being. Ahh such memories we both take away - I long to return again some day and will try one of the Sea view suites or larger complexs next time........ not because they could be any better, just to experience more of the hotels wonderful facilities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take a deep breath of fresh Indian ocean air, relax and unwind. Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove in the north east coast of Unguja (alias Zanzibar). Essque Zalu Zanzibar combines contemporary luxury with a real sense of place. This boutique hotel has the turquoise waters of the Indian ocean to one side and lush green forest to the other, and there is just a hint of spice in the warm and fragrant tropical air. At Essque Zalu Zanzibar, create your own personal paradise, your own kind of luxury, an experience of a lifetime. Choose from 40 individual suites and 8 villas all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Our suites offer a luxurious-styled space crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched makuti roof. From farm to table, we take great pride in our sumptuous cooking. Satisfy your taste buds with a choice of two unique restaurants, three well stocked bars and a variety of destination dining experiences. Unashamedly indulgent, the Spa comprises of two couples treatment rooms, four single rooms, vichy shower, a sauna and steam room - a haven of restorative and rejuvenating perfection. Using only 100% truly organic and natural ingredients, our focus is on capturing the intelligence of nature in the restorative process. We know that the essence of nature can synergistically interact with the energy system, and this knowledge forms the basis of our Africology creations, all orchestrated to help you lead a more holistic lifestyle. Essque Zalu is your outpost into the first steps of the wildness and tranquility of Zanzibar. Reconnect with nature and experience a land rich in life and uninhabited space. We offer guests the opportunity to partake in activities to experience some of the islands most Spectacular and scenic excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Jovago.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, Odigeo, HostelWorld and Hotel.de so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Nungwi