Two friends and I recently rounded off a trip to Zanzibar by staying for a few nights at the incomparable 'Essque Zalu'. On arriving at the imposing and awe inspiring cathedral height entrance, we were immediately greeted by Edgar, our fantastic 'Navigator', (Butler). No tedious check in here but, straight way Edgar guided us to our accommodation pointing out the myriad choice of restaurants and bars, the jetty, spa and enormous main pool with jacuzzi and hydrotherapy jet.
We were lucky enough to be staiying in one of the there bedroom Private Villas and with no word of a lie we were all rendered speechless by the luxury of it all: three vast bedrooms all with plasma screens, huge marble bathrooms with freestanding bath, power shower, heaps of fluffy towel, gowns & abundant luxurious products. We even had our own massage room with yet another amazing bathroom as well as a fully euipped kitchen. The ground floor 'Great Room' overlooking our private deck & pool had yet another plasma screen enormous sofa piled with cushions and a dining table seating up eight. Outside was another huge table for Alfresco eating and some super comfortable recliners. Edgar took great delight in pointing out at the touch of a button our pool became a frothy jacuzzi!
We checked in here which took a matter of minutes while our welcome drink of a chilled, fresh coconut each arrived - delicious! That evening we had invited some friends to the resort's jetty bar for sundowners & I realised I needed clothes pressed pronto. No problem - Edgar whisked them off and within half an hour they returned immaculate on hangers.
Pre arranged bottles of bubbles awaited us at the gorgeous jetty bar out on the Indian ocean with an incredible view of the sparklingly lit hotel behind us, the stunning sunset in front. Yummy complimentary nibbles including some delicious prawns arrived without evn asking. Needless to say, our guests, all staying in other establishments in the locality were suitably impressed!
All meals we had whether on the Jetty, Market Kitchen or A la Carte restaurant were top class and even when we arrived embarrassingly late for breakfast one day, it didn't even raise an eyebrow from the ever helpful and friendly staff.
My Spa treatment with a lovely lady called Philomena was absolutely fantastic. I was only sorry that I had to leave the following morning, otherwise I would have booked some more!
We had to leave the hotel at the ungodly hour of 4.30 a.m but, again, this wasn't a problem at Zalu. Our alarm call awoke us in plenty of time, our bags were collected despite protests that we could manage on our own and we even received freshly baked pastries for our breakfast en route. Amazing!
A big thank you to the charming General Manager, Nicholas, and his team for looking after us so well. We will most certainly be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take a deep breath of fresh Indian ocean air, relax and unwind. Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove in the north east coast of Unguja (alias Zanzibar). Essque Zalu Zanzibar combines contemporary luxury with a real sense of place. This boutique hotel has the turquoise waters of the Indian ocean to one side and lush green forest to the other, and there is just a hint of spice in the warm and fragrant tropical air. At Essque Zalu Zanzibar, create your own personal paradise, your own kind of luxury, an experience of a lifetime. Choose from 40 individual suites and 8 villas all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Our suites offer a luxurious-styled space crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched makuti roof. From farm to table, we take great pride in our sumptuous cooking. Satisfy your taste buds with a choice of two unique restaurants, three well stocked bars and a variety of destination dining experiences. Unashamedly indulgent, the Spa comprises of two couples treatment rooms, four single rooms, vichy shower, a sauna and steam room - a haven of restorative and rejuvenating perfection. Using only 100% truly organic and natural ingredients, our focus is on capturing the intelligence of nature in the restorative process. We know that the essence of nature can synergistically interact with the energy system, and this knowledge forms the basis of our Africology creations, all orchestrated to help you lead a more holistic lifestyle. Essque Zalu is your outpost into the first steps of the wildness and tranquility of Zanzibar. Reconnect with nature and experience a land rich in life and uninhabited space. We offer guests the opportunity to partake in activities to experience some of the islands most Spectacular and scenic excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Jovago.com, Odigeo, HostelWorld, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Southall Travel, TravelUp, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Nungwi