We were looking for a place to completely refresh and recharge ourselves and that is exactly what we got. From the moment you step inside until the moment you leave you feel cocooned in luxury and style.
The hotel is simply beautiful, a combination of contemporary, art deco and traditional African but in a very cool and minimalistic way and we were in one of the bungalows near to the ocean which followed the main hotel theme. The bed was huge and so comfortable – almost too good to leave some mornings!
Although we had been on a three day Safari at the start of our trip we had expected to explore the island at least a little, however, we found we had everything we could possibly ask for at the hotel and, apart from a couple of days diving and some long beach strolls, did not leave for the remaining 11 days. I must just say here that this is not usually like us as we are always out and about exploring wherever we may be, but we did not want to leave – we had no need to.
We were on a half board basis and after a late breakfast of outstanding choice and quality, did not have the room to sample lunch at the pier restaurant (where the lobster looked amazing). Dinner was 4 courses and could almost be described as ‘fine dining’.
The drinks were all very reasonably priced and, in the evenings, were always accompanied by delicious canapés – be sure to leave room for dinner though.
The staff cannot do enough for you and seem really happy to be there – we had particular soft spots for both Amani (a lovely very sweet and brilliant barman) and Fortunata (our breakfast waitress with a big personality and cheeky smile who obviously loved making us feel special).
The managers were very hands on and made sure all was to our liking and, in particular, Nicolas the general manager, really went the extra mile to make sure we were made to feel special.
To sum up, this hotel is truly a five star and in our opinion is excellent value for money. If you want to feel bathed in cool, calm luxury you will not find much better than this regardless of where you are in the world.
Andrea & Harvey
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take a deep breath of fresh Indian ocean air, relax and unwind. Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove in the north east coast of Unguja (alias Zanzibar). Essque Zalu Zanzibar combines contemporary luxury with a real sense of place. This boutique hotel has the turquoise waters of the Indian ocean to one side and lush green forest to the other, and there is just a hint of spice in the warm and fragrant tropical air. At Essque Zalu Zanzibar, create your own personal paradise, your own kind of luxury, an experience of a lifetime. Choose from 40 individual suites and 8 villas all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Our suites offer a luxurious-styled space crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched makuti roof. From farm to table, we take great pride in our sumptuous cooking. Satisfy your taste buds with a choice of two unique restaurants, three well stocked bars and a variety of destination dining experiences. Unashamedly indulgent, the Spa comprises of two couples treatment rooms, four single rooms, vichy shower, a sauna and steam room - a haven of restorative and rejuvenating perfection. Using only 100% truly organic and natural ingredients, our focus is on capturing the intelligence of nature in the restorative process. We know that the essence of nature can synergistically interact with the energy system, and this knowledge forms the basis of our Africology creations, all orchestrated to help you lead a more holistic lifestyle. Essque Zalu is your outpost into the first steps of the wildness and tranquility of Zanzibar. Reconnect with nature and experience a land rich in life and uninhabited space. We offer guests the opportunity to partake in activities to experience some of the islands most Spectacular and scenic excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Preferred Hotels, Hotels.com, Jovago.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), HostelWorld, 5viajes2012 S.L., Agoda, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Nungwi