We just completed a trip to Tanzania that included staying here for a week.
In short, it was a spectacular hotel, beautifully presented and idyllically located.
We stayed in suite 54, and it was massive, we loved the layout.
The service was amazing, first rate. Nothing was ever too much for the staff. What I think they have done here is manage to maintain the status of a major hotel chain in terms of scope, size and service, whilst adopting the attitude of a boutique hotel in that every customer is important.
Just so people are aware, if you don't tip after each meal, they kind of expect it when you check out, so be prepared.
I found the meals slightly pricy, but nothing that would downgrade the status of this hotel.
The beach connected to the hotel isn't one you really sun bathe on. However, for us, given the layout of the pool and the views from it, I never felt the need. Still, you are in Zanzibar, you won't be short of beautiful beaches.
I have to say, if you go here and don't enjoy it, you're a very hard person to please because I've been lucky enough to travel the world and this hotel is one of the very best. Truly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take a deep breath of fresh Indian ocean air, relax and unwind. Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove in the north east coast of Unguja (alias Zanzibar). Essque Zalu Zanzibar combines contemporary luxury with a real sense of place. This boutique hotel has the turquoise waters of the Indian ocean to one side and lush green forest to the other, and there is just a hint of spice in the warm and fragrant tropical air. At Essque Zalu Zanzibar, create your own personal paradise, your own kind of luxury, an experience of a lifetime. Choose from 40 individual suites and 8 villas all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Our suites offer a luxurious-styled space crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched makuti roof. From farm to table, we take great pride in our sumptuous cooking. Satisfy your taste buds with a choice of two unique restaurants, three well stocked bars and a variety of destination dining experiences. Unashamedly indulgent, the Spa comprises of two couples treatment rooms, four single rooms, vichy shower, a sauna and steam room - a haven of restorative and rejuvenating perfection. Using only 100% truly organic and natural ingredients, our focus is on capturing the intelligence of nature in the restorative process. We know that the essence of nature can synergistically interact with the energy system, and this knowledge forms the basis of our Africology creations, all orchestrated to help you lead a more holistic lifestyle. Essque Zalu is your outpost into the first steps of the wildness and tranquility of Zanzibar. Reconnect with nature and experience a land rich in life and uninhabited space. We offer guests the opportunity to partake in activities to experience some of the islands most Spectacular and scenic excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Jovago.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Southall Travel, Hotel.de, Agoda, HostelWorld, Odigeo, TravelUp, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Nungwi