Zalu is a relatively new hotel in Zanzibar in the northern side (about 45min - 1 hour drive from the airport). Been around for last 3 years, owned by an Italian, on the northern beach of Zanzibar. Hotel structure and design, especially around the lobby, bar, and pool is beautiful and breezy, with a modern chic taste and an amazing view of the ocean. (Note that there is no beach in front of the hotel depending on the tide, and if you'd like to lay on the beach, you need to walk on the beach during low tide to another place 10mins away). Great villas for couples and honeymooners, but the family style larger villas were also amazing. The best part of this hotel was the food, which was comparable to restaurant food in NYC or Tokyo. Service of most staff was also very friendly and hospitable. The only downside was service around the pool, which was slow and sloppy, but most high end luxury hotels in Tanzania had some aspect of that, despite the extremely steep prices vs world standard high end hotels. Communal group tip will be asked at checkout. I would suggest getting full board, given the food is very good, and typically you will be staying at Zanzibar at the tail end of your Tanzania safari trip where you are tired of exploring and just want to relax.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take a deep breath of fresh Indian ocean air, relax and unwind. Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove in the north east coast of Unguja (alias Zanzibar). Essque Zalu Zanzibar combines contemporary luxury with a real sense of place. This boutique hotel has the turquoise waters of the Indian ocean to one side and lush green forest to the other, and there is just a hint of spice in the warm and fragrant tropical air. At Essque Zalu Zanzibar, create your own personal paradise, your own kind of luxury, an experience of a lifetime. Choose from 40 individual suites and 8 villas all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Our suites offer a luxurious-styled space crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched makuti roof. From farm to table, we take great pride in our sumptuous cooking. Satisfy your taste buds with a choice of two unique restaurants, three well stocked bars and a variety of destination dining experiences. Unashamedly indulgent, the Spa comprises of two couples treatment rooms, four single rooms, vichy shower, a sauna and steam room - a haven of restorative and rejuvenating perfection. Using only 100% truly organic and natural ingredients, our focus is on capturing the intelligence of nature in the restorative process. We know that the essence of nature can synergistically interact with the energy system, and this knowledge forms the basis of our Africology creations, all orchestrated to help you lead a more holistic lifestyle. Essque Zalu is your outpost into the first steps of the wildness and tranquility of Zanzibar. Reconnect with nature and experience a land rich in life and uninhabited space. We offer guests the opportunity to partake in activities to experience some of the islands most Spectacular and scenic excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, HostelWorld, Southall Travel, Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Nungwi