“Daily aggressions”

Munich, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Daily aggressions”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

During all my travels I have never meet such a awful person as the general manager and owner of Zanzibar Watersports. He shouted at me and my friends while we were paying customers. Furthermore he had his daily aggressions towards his local employees. He created a atmosphere where you definitely don't want to spend your vacation in. His negative personality doesn't fit into this beautiful spot of our planet.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank deeger84

London, United Kingdom
“A True African Diving Experience”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I've recently returned from a fantastic trip to Zanzibar and spent two weeks diving with Zanzibar Watersports. I would firstly like to point out that diving this island in the month of December can be tricky - the annual winds that come in during this month can make for some 'interesting' journeys out to the dive sites and, as a Divemaster with many dives and worldwide locations under my belt, I take my hat off to any individual who completed their Open Water during this month - they will certainly be far, far better divers in the long run. Having dived in some challenging conditions in the past I found the boat crews and Dive Guides to be immensely helpful and friendly and you can always tell if your Dive Guide genuinely enjoys the sites they are diving and the job they do - I certainly found this with the staff at Zanzibar Watersports. Although I dive with my own gear I was impressed by the condition and upkeep of the in-house gear and was particularly impressed and felt secured by their investment into a new compressor, guaranteeing clean air in the tanks. It was also a first for me to be diving from traditional Arab dhows - after 9 years diving the Red Sea I've never done that before and it was a hoot! Diving in Africa has a way to go before you experience the totally slick operations of the Red Sea or Barrier Reef - but I went there for a new diving adventure - and thats what I got - and the crew at Zanzibar Watersports made me feel safe, secure and comfortable with this new diving location to me - I will certainly return.

Visited December 2013
Boulder, Colorado
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Amatuer operation for Open Water Cert and Post Cert Dives”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I got my open water cert In December 2013 at Zanzibar Watersports at Kendwa Rocks (same company). The instructor was nice and fun but when it came time for the written test I was more than unfamiliar with much of the material. We were never instructed on timing dives relative to time under, depth, and other dives. The instructor said "no problem, Ill help you." He had told given two examples before the test as I recall. Well when I did not understand he got pissy and just told me the answers. I passed the test with only one incorrect answer. Then I just reckoned this must be standard operating procedure for PADI certs and dismissed it. The next day I was given a good price for two dives. Long story short I ran out of air in my first dive. I signaled to the "dive master" that I was out of air even though my gauge indicated 30 as well as that I was 18m below the surface. The DM did nothing. I indicated out of air about 6 times in desperation. He did nothing. I indicated I was surfacing and he shrugged his shoulders. Are you getting this? My first dive. I get to the surface panicked and with no air for my BCD. I am treading water when he comes up and I can hardly speak. He tells me to blow in my BCD and swims to the boat. Sorry, I dont like to name call, but this guy is an idiot. On my next dive there are 2 different dive masters. About half way into the dive they argue underwater about which way to go. Then again. Then when it is time to equalize they argue. Underwater arguing is special. One turns and gives us the thumbs up to surface. We start up and the senior DM tells us to come down. Now we are bobbing up and down and totally confused. We equalize for another 5 minutes before we are shown to surface again and the other DM again disagrees. Now I am freaking out bc I am running low on air and dont like this second threat of dying in the same day. I saw some other people that dove with us that had their own equipment surface so I followed them and did not get the bends. Seeing octopus make love and not getting bends were both amazing.

Visited December 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fanatastic diving”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This was the second time that I dived with Zanzibar watersports (I specifically came back to them after having such a great time the first time round about 18 months ago) and wasn't disappointed. I already had my PADI open water and they were very accommodating organising suitable diving for me (I did 3 days diving this time). All of the team are so friendly, easygoing and competent which, for me, is just so important and can make or break the whole experience. I had such an awesome time that I'm already trying to plan a return trip to dive with them again soon!

Visited July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Fishing in Nungwi”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Hi All, I had a great 1/2 day fishing trip with Zanzibar Watersports. Although the weather was a little windy that day, I still managed to pull in a great fish, a 20+ Kg Wahoo, a first for me. The staff were professional and friendly, showing me how to do all the right things to get the fish into the boat.

Although I didn't stay there, the area of Nungwi also looks like a great place to stay, as there's a great atmosphere there.

Visited August 2013