“Good snorkling, horribel fishing”

Zanzibar Watersports
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The day trip to Mnemba Atoll was amazing. The snorkling was outstanding and the guide did a good jobb with diving and telling us what we saw. Lunch pack was good.
Bargain (hard) on the price, and you will get good value.

The "big game fishing" was, on the other hand, horrible. I was looking forward to fish, but the fisherman forgot(!!!!) the fishing lines... So we were just driving around for 5 hours trolling. The fisherman didn't speak much english, so we didn't get any information about what was happening. Not worth the money.

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

So, myself and two friends wanted to dive during our stay in nungwi.

Mnemba seemed the best place.

We spoke to various operators regarding the conditions.

Only ZW seemed to have trips running there every day.

Others would offer a local site trip or a Mnemba trip dependent on conditions.

There had been a serious boat accident with fatalities due to rough waters between Stone Town and Pemba passing Nungwi 2-3 days previously.

ZW ensured us all was fine.

We travelled by large wooden dhow for two hours each way.

Throughout it was extremely rough and unpleasant, none of the approx 15 passengers enjoyed the journey. One in particular felt very ill.

The dives themselves were quite nice and I enjoyed the variety of corals (though not colourful). The visibility was just ok.
The divemaster was very competent; even swapping my mask for his underwater when my strap snapped minutes into the dive whilst I was adjusting it due to frequent water leaks!
(Could have been avoided if I had been given a good mask to begin with)

The rest of the crew and office staff in Nungwi were pleasant and helpful.

However the really rough journey with waves lashing up and into the boat all the way there and back-4hours! completely marred the experience for me and made me not really want to get on a boat again for the rest of my time in TZ; not even for the 15 min trip to see the giant turtles I had been planning.

In my opinion ZW knows that Mnemba is the main attraction for scuba diving in the area and so keeps constant trips to the island running regardless, as it knows it's a good money earner.

I prefer honestly from a dive shop at all times.

1  Thank wholewideworld1
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I had a very great diving experience with the Zanzibar Watersports Club Padi 5 Stars (located at the Kendwa Rocks Hotel). I’ve made 4 dives and I’really have great time with all instructors: Faudel, Shida Salum and Chris (owner of the club). The team was very professional and I felt very safe on the boat and underwater. I dive 4 times while it was not planned but I wanted to take adventage of good conditions that were offered to me. The equipment was good, clean and safe, the meals on the boat were delicious. I’ve dive in Wattabommi, Kichawni, Hasi Reef, Wawa wanana and it was amaizing and so wonderful. I want to give a versy special thanks to Chris for his kindness and will never fordget our last dive where we saw a turtle.... I highly recommend all of you to dive with this club especially if you want to have a unique, safe, and magic experience of diving in Zanzibar! It is sure that I'll come back !

1  Thank mariam a
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I recently dived with Zanzibar Watersports in early January. It was the two of us, my girlfriend and I. We had decided to do a 4 dive package each. We did two dives at Mnemba atoll, and two dives locally. Our over all impression of Zanzibar Watersports was excellent. The two dives at Menmba atoll, where amazing. Our dive master, was excellent, very conversant with the marine life, dived in a safe manner, and prior to our dive made an excellent and detailed dive briefing. The local dives where also very good. The visibility was not as good as Mnemba, but the over all experience was excellent. We found Zanzibar watersports to very safe, good equipment, which looked well maintained. The centre looks well organised and the staff are all welcoming and friendly. I strongly recommend diving with Zanzibar Waterports, if you are going to be diving in the north of Zanzibar.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

On email and at their office, this outfit appeared helpful and professional. However, once on the boat it was a completely different story. First of all we were promised a dhow with a sail. The sail would have helped move the vessel a bit faster and provided some shade. Was told by the dhow's captain that all the sails on their dhows had recently been removed for replacement. I wish we would have been informed of this earlier (such as prior to registering and paying), as our boat struggled to make it back against winds/currents on return from Mnemba while we all ended up sunburned with little shade offered by this boat.
The boat staff was a complete joke. They never got into the water once and were disinterested and unhelpful to say the least. At both diving sites they rushed everyone to get back on the boat and leave early after only 20min each time. I and several other passengers (basically the entire paying party) had to argue and beg with the captain to stay an extra 15min at the 2nd diving site. As it turned out, we left Nungwi at 9:40 and returned at 3:25, and the vast majority of the time was wasted just in traveling both ways to Mnemba in a woefully underpowered dhow.
The snacks and lunch provided were simply atrocious. Hard stale donut balls and overcooked 35cent pasta with canned corn, respectively.
A terrible experience to say the least, and no amount of rebuttal and empty excuses by staff comments under this review will be able to change that. We ended up using one of the other diving outfits in Nungwi for our next trip and were very satisfied.

3  Thank sammy321321