“Money Grabbers”

Zanzibar Watersports
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

As experienced deep sea fisherman we thought we would take advantage of the wonderful opportunity to fish off the coast of Zanzibar.
We arranged a half day deap sea charter on the Timimi at the Kendwa Rocks branch. Upon booking we were informed that they would need to check the Internet to confirm the weather was good to go out, after not receiving a call we assumed that we should be there at the time requested to leave 06:30. We had travelled 45 minutes from our hotel only too arrive and find that they had not prepared the boat and although we could tell the weather was not great they didn't try to reschedule the trip. I looked on the board to see if any charters were booked and there were none so I can only assume that it is was about money and not the clients experience.
As a person who has more than a 200+ days out to sea I can honestly say it was one of the worst with heavy winds and rain. The issue comes when the crew say that the day is a waste and no fish will be caught. I can only wonder why they didn't change the trip instead of wasting $580 of clients money. If I wanted a sight seeing cruise I would of gone elsewhere.

Although the staff were pleasant and hard working on the boat the gear is outdated and limited and as I read in another post the one outrigger was not operational with the same excuse of it breaking the day before. In addition to this we only realized when the sea was too rough and the boat could only manage to travel close to the shore there was only one engine working. When I asked about it they said it was not sounding right that morning so they decided it would be best not too use it.

I would not recommend this outfit as I cannot with confidence say they are hoping to give their client a trip of a lifetime and the equipment is poor if working at all.

1  Thank WazFi
chrisGoodwin, Owner at Zanzibar Watersports, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Zanzibar Watersports takes negative feedback very seriously. We feel that to be referred to as “Money Grabbers" is unprofessional and incorrect, and we’d like the opportunity to set this straight.

Zanzibar Watersports, offers a professional fishing operation with a fleet of three fishing boats and over 12 years in the business in Zanzibar.

If sea conditions are too rough or considered to be unsafe, we will cancel all sea activities. We feel in this case the conditions, while windy and choppy, where fine and therefore commenced with the charter. Unfortunately fishing was poor and the clients did not catch anything. The clients, if feeling that the conditions where un-safe and not ideal for fishing, should have requested that they return early and a part refund would have been given. They did not complain during the fishing trip and they did not request to return early – otherwise we clearly would have done so and we would have happily offered a part refund.

All tackle provided is Penn International and it all in good working condition and regularly serviced. To be accused that the tackle is in poor condition, bearing in mind that tackle was not used, as no fish was caught, we feel is an unfair assessment.

The vessel mentioned, is powered by two engines. Only one engine is used at a time for trawling, so as to maintain a reasonable trawling speed of 7 knots. Engines are rotated during the course of the fishing charter.

The clients did not come and see us at our booking office, after the fishing charter, so as to make their complaint. We feel we did not have the opportunity to rescue the situation or offer a reasonable explanation. If they had come by our office, they would have learned in person that we take their complaint seriously and Zanzibar Watersports would have offered a part refund on the basis of the complaint and the clients not been happy – it’s part of our policy.

There are newer reviews for Zanzibar Watersports

Reviewed 17 June 2014

A group of us went diving here after negotiating a good deal. They were all friendly and helpful although they did say the dhow ride to Mnemba Atol was only 1 hour after I specifically asked them and then when we got on the boat it was 2 hours. Not such an issue as the ride was fun albeit a little rough for some.

Lunch was nice and plenty of water to drink. The diving was good with lots of large fish to see, visibility was about 10m and the coral had previously been dynamite fished so was pretty trashed, although there was lots of soft corals there. The divemaster was not very interested in our experience and seemed to be going through the motions a little. He also moved really really slowly so was always behind the group.

The feedback from those form our group who were snorkelling was average at best, with the reef often too deep to be seen easily. We chose Zanzibar Watersports over Scuba-Doo as they were able to give us answers quicker but after diving with them I think I would try Scuba-Doo next time.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I had an amazing experience with Zanzibar Watersports. The day snorkelling trip to Mnemba Atoll was stunning and totally worth the money. The sail along the coastline in a dhow is fantastic and very relaxing. Our guide was very friendly and knowledgeable and always made sure our group was safe and sound. Our Captain seemed very experienced. I went out with four other people and all agreed the whole day was excellent. Chris Goodwin who runs the show is brilliant, incredibly attentive and certainly knows his stuff. He definitely went out of his way to make sure my overall experience was 10/10.

1  Thank Silverlici0us
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Arranged to do my PADI open water dive course with these guys and a friend decided to join me at the last minute. Chris, the managing director, was incredibly helpful and flexible and did us a very good deal. Khamis, our instructor, was excellent and good fun. They also helped arrange kite-surfing for my friend on our last day in Nungwi. Would highly recommend them.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

The day trip to Mnemba Atoll was amazing. The snorkling was outstanding and the guide did a good jobb with diving and telling us what we saw. Lunch pack was good.
Bargain (hard) on the price, and you will get good value.

The "big game fishing" was, on the other hand, horrible. I was looking forward to fish, but the fisherman forgot(!!!!) the fishing lines... So we were just driving around for 5 hours trolling. The fisherman didn't speak much english, so we didn't get any information about what was happening. Not worth the money.