1,806 results
All reviews aqua restaurant carnivorous restaurant jacuzzi suite resort spa teppanyaki restaurant gosht gala dinner all inclusive package our honeymoon a la carte restaurants guest relations diving center infinity pool special thanks kids club amazing resort beach bar
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The resort is brand new, the rooms ( the standard junior suite) are big and comfortable, the service is available 24 h and pretty good for African standards. Barbecue at night on the beach. During the day the beach given the position is pretty much only for the resort's clients so very peaceful. Scuba diving or snorkeling a must. Only remark for the all inclusive package is the overall quality of the food could be better but again I am very happy about my stay there.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Lucie M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Snowman76, Thank you for your recent trip advisor review we are delighted you enjoyed your stay at our beautiful resort. I have passed on your comments regarding the food onto our newly appointed Food and Beverage manager. With our new team now nearly completed our restaurants are improving daily as we are able to offer our valued guest more choice in all areas. We very much hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort, Regards Lucie

Reviewed 29 November 2013

This resort is gorgeous and the artwork displayed is even more gorgeous. There's just one problem...the artwork is stolen. The images displayed are by prominent photographer Nick Brandt and they are instantly recognizable. I have two of his books and the images he creates are iconic. The resort is adorned with several of his more noteworthy pieces and they definitely add to the ambiance. However, they are cheap reproductions and definitely not the high quality prints that sell for thousands of dollars.

The resort itself is fantastic and the staff was more than accommodating, but again, I was just put off by the fact that they were stealing. As a photographer myself, if I came to vacation at a place and saw unauthorized reproductions of my work on display, I be livid. I can only imagine how Mr. Brandt feels as he is much more renown than I. Something needs to be done with the stolen artwork on display there as it's degrading the quality of work produced by Mr. Brandt.

I also had a very disappointing time with the scuba shop on premises. We scheduled a two tank dive to Mnemba along with a couple snorkelers. What started out as a leisurely boat trip around to the other side of the island turned into a choppy vomit-inducing thrill ride to our dive site. Upon arrival, the divemaster instructed us to don our gear and hop in. Never mind the 6 ft swells, just jump right in! In all honesty, the dive should have been called off. It was way to dangerous. Even one of the shop pros got back in the boat as he had panicked when he first got in. However, we continued with our dive and saw 3 fish. The snorkelers were left on the surface and I'm not really sure how they fared with the surf conditions. I can't imagine it was too good. When we were out of air, we came back up to swap out on the boat and venture to another dive site. Trying to get back on the boat was an exercise in futility and several times, the boat nearly landed on my head as it bobbed in the swells. Rule of thumb, if the propellor comes out of the water in the waves, you probably shouldn't be diving.

Once back on the boat, I immediately vomited over the side and called it quits - burying myself under a towel for the remainder of the trip. Surprisingly, the rest of the group did take the second dive, although for only about 15 minutes.

The journey back to the Hideaway was rather uneventful, except for the divemaster in his speedo and legs spread wide to showcase himself for the ladies on board (one of them being my wife). That was a disgusting display and very unprofessional. My wife was thoroughly disgusted and I'm not sure if her vomiting was caused by that or the swells we continued to endure.

Everything else at the resort was very nice. The food was decent, not excellent. There was a nice buffet on the lawn our first night there and the rest of the meals were pleasant, but not overly great. I imagine it was just because they were still getting their feet wet after only just opening to the public, so I'm guessing it will improve as time goes on. Trying to get into the other high end restaurants was impossible and we were not able to experience them.

The rooms are gorgeous. The decor was spectacular and the quality was amazing. We were thrilled with our room, even though it was a bit further from the dining and beach/pool. Again, the only thing that was disappointing about the room was the stolen artwork. I know Mr. Brandt's work was prominently on display in the rooms, so I wonder if the other work was stolen as well. It's just a shame that such a nice place is ruined because they are dishonest.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank goillini34
Lucie M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear goillini34,
we thank you for the remarks concerning your stay at the resort, we appreciate any comments may be useful in order to improve our services to customers. We wish to clarify that we actually bought the images displayed on Tripadvisor from a well reputed supplier of hotel furniture located in Bali (Indonesia), among many other furniture items. Therefore, we were definitely not aware about any misuse or unauthorized exploitation of Nick Brandt’s images. The above being stated and clarified, please be informed that, to avoid such circumstance may affect our name and reputation, we are currently removing any and all such images both from the websites where the same are displayed and physically from the walls of our resort’s accommodations, as clear good faith behavior from our side.
With regards the scuba diving since your visit in June we have changed some of the team members and safety is of utmost concern to us and Team Aqua Zanzibar, dives would be cancelled if it were too dangerous on the day. I know you had correspondence with the dive center at the time and that you were not charged for your experience as a good will gesture. I hope you will consider returning as you seemed to enjoy the resort. With kind regards, Lucie

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Fantastic surroundings, very close to good scuba diving areas. Night barbecues in the beach surrounded by candles and tasting local fish, quiet beach with incredible colours and .. service all day offering a big smille.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear iaugustin, many thanks for such a nice review. We are happy to hear that you had an excellent stay with us and that you enjoyed our candlelight beach dinner. I will share your comments with our staff who will be certainly very motivated by it. Hoping to hosting you again soon. Best regards, Lucie

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Hideaway with some friends and we had an amazing time.everything seemed to be very well done probably the only hotel i have seen in Zanzibar that you can call a proper 5 star.Service is average compared to what you would expect in a leading hotel but i understand this is the norm everywhere in Zanzibar.The beach the po and Spa are world class.If you are looking to go to Zanzibar book this resort.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear jinja2, we thank you very much for your nice review and are delighted to hear that you and your friends had such an excellent time with us. We are striving every day to meet our guests’ expectations and will definitely share your comments with our staff, as it very rewarding and encouraging for all of us. We hope to have the chance to welcome you and your friends again at the Hideaway of Nungwi. Kind regards, Lucie

Reviewed 23 November 2013

It was a great stay at hideaway Nungwi.Right from the welcome at the reception by the front office staff,to the rooms,and the restaraunts.It was great.The rooms had great decor and potrayed a true african way of living with the pictures.The only unfortunate bit was that the tv was hardly working.It could hardly show any channel and if one was lucky to come across any,it was only after midnight.I dont know whether the remotes had problems or the screen itself,but something needs to be done.
Otherwise the food and drinks at the different restraunts and bars was nice.I had an opportunity to go for steam bath and shed off some fat and cooled at the bubble birth.It was breath-taking.
The beach area had great fine sand and indeed its well managed.
Generally the environment at Hideaway is well mantained in its natural setting by letting "the green" rule .Its nice to conserve the environment and i picked a leaf from this.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Akankwasa, Thank you for your Trip advisor review, we are truly delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and so appreciated our beautiful resort. We all at The Hideaway of Nungwi are very proud of our wonderful hotel and work hard to keep it as green as possible, in every sense of the word. I apologise that the television signal in your room was not good, i will get this looked into.
We very much hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort, Regards, Lucie