1,786 results
All reviewsaqua restaurantcarnivorous restaurantjacuzzi suiteresort spateppanyaki restaurantgoshtgala dinnerall inclusive packageour honeymoona la carte restaurantsguest relationsdiving centerinfinity poolspecial thankskids clubamazing resortbeach bar
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Thank you Hideaway and the friendly staff! Hakuna Matata!!
Warm welcome, perfect stay and upgrade to the magnificent pool villa...thank you!!, value for money all inclusive package - definitely worth it, lekker crystal clear water, soft white sand - no rocks,definitely best beach in Zanzi. You made us feel like a king and his queen. Every need attended to. The BBQ on the beach - a must!
Thanks for making our 10 year anniversary special and very memorable. Mr Christian Garcia, your food is tops, thank you. Sushi the best! What can I say more....? go try it out, we will definitely go back. But the next time we will take the Mango flight...

ps. 1hour 30 min drive from the airport, just be prepared. But all worth it.
Have patience, little bit difficulty with language at times, but all in good spirit and fun at the end.

Room Tip: pool villa!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Lucie M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear adelai_11, we thank you very much for your nice review and for having chosen the Hideaway of Nungwi to celebrate your 10th year anniversary. We are glad that you had such an excellent stay and that you did not regret the 1 hour drive! We are proud of our Chef Christian and delighted to see that you appreciated his cuisine as well. We hope to have the chance to welcome the both of you again soon! Kind regards, Lucie

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Wow..... this was our first reaction when entering receiption ready to book in for 10 days.
The view and the staff were fantastic. We had flown Kenya Airways from Heathrow, fab flight, food and staff. We were signed in very quickly, staff introducing themselves and whisked away to our suite. We had booked a Junior Suite and it was amazing, plenty of room to relax in. We had room 266, fantastic view out across the grounds from our balcony and over the blue shimmering sea. We had a problem with the A/C that night and the staff moved us to another room. It was worked on the next day and fixed so we were able to stay in that room for the whole stay.

We had booked through Kuoini and their local representative from Fisherman Tours came to meet us. He went through trips that were available to book. We did the Spice tour and Prison Island in one day. Spice tour is not to be missed, so worth the cost. We had a great Tour Guide, Harry who was just fab and made our day to interesting and enjoyable.

We also went on a snorkling day with the Dive Centre in the hotel grounds, again fabulous. We were looked after so well with a guide who came snorkling with our little group. We went to Nmemba Island and was a glorious place that was, so much to see, coral and fish of all sizes and colours. A different world under the sea.

We were there to relax and chill and that certainly happened. Spending hours in the sun, relaxing or snorkling from the hotels beach. Pure bliss, didn't want to leave.

The service from the staff was very good, ranging from the chap who set out the sun beds through to meeting the General Manger. Never did we see a person who wasn't friendly and smiling.

We had booked as All Inclusive so didn't have to worry about extra costs for the eating and drinking. The food was good, eating in the Auqa restaurant. Always a buffet style with plenty of choice. The freshly made pizza is a must to try as well. Restaurant staff were great, very attentive. The sunset Bar was a lovely place to sit and chill in the evenings. Only down side there were unfortunately the singers. When they sang in their native language it was wonderful, very orthentic and pleasant to hear. When trying to sing songs in English it was a different matter, same songs at same times each evening.

The Spa treatments were wonderful, total relaxation. All in all, an excellent holiday that we will remember and wish to go back to again, hopefully next year. If your looking for a lot of activity or night life, may not be the place for you. Time alone to reconnect and relax, its a must.

Thanks to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Nita M, Thank you for your nice comments on trip advisor we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and so obviously loved our wonderful resort as much as we all here do. I am pleased you enjoyed the snorkelling and indeed the various excursions, the Spice tour is a particular favourite of our valued guests. Thank you also for your comments regarding our wonderful team they will be passed on and very much appreciated. I have noted you comments regarding the evening entertainment these have been passed on and we be duly noted. On behalf of the entire team here at The Hideaway of Nungwi we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the resort. Regards, Lucie

Reviewed 30 November 2013

The resort is brand new, the rooms ( the standard junior suite) are big and comfortable, the service is available 24 h and pretty good for African standards. Barbecue at night on the beach. During the day the beach given the position is pretty much only for the resort's clients so very peaceful. Scuba diving or snorkeling a must. Only remark for the all inclusive package is the overall quality of the food could be better but again I am very happy about my stay there.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Snowman76, Thank you for your recent trip advisor review we are delighted you enjoyed your stay at our beautiful resort. I have passed on your comments regarding the food onto our newly appointed Food and Beverage manager. With our new team now nearly completed our restaurants are improving daily as we are able to offer our valued guest more choice in all areas. We very much hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort, Regards Lucie

Reviewed 29 November 2013

This resort is gorgeous and the artwork displayed is even more gorgeous. There's just one problem...the artwork is stolen. The images displayed are by prominent photographer Nick Brandt and they are instantly recognizable. I have two of his books and the images he creates are iconic. The resort is adorned with several of his more noteworthy pieces and they definitely add to the ambiance. However, they are cheap reproductions and definitely not the high quality prints that sell for thousands of dollars.

The resort itself is fantastic and the staff was more than accommodating, but again, I was just put off by the fact that they were stealing. As a photographer myself, if I came to vacation at a place and saw unauthorized reproductions of my work on display, I be livid. I can only imagine how Mr. Brandt feels as he is much more renown than I. Something needs to be done with the stolen artwork on display there as it's degrading the quality of work produced by Mr. Brandt.

I also had a very disappointing time with the scuba shop on premises. We scheduled a two tank dive to Mnemba along with a couple snorkelers. What started out as a leisurely boat trip around to the other side of the island turned into a choppy vomit-inducing thrill ride to our dive site. Upon arrival, the divemaster instructed us to don our gear and hop in. Never mind the 6 ft swells, just jump right in! In all honesty, the dive should have been called off. It was way to dangerous. Even one of the shop pros got back in the boat as he had panicked when he first got in. However, we continued with our dive and saw 3 fish. The snorkelers were left on the surface and I'm not really sure how they fared with the surf conditions. I can't imagine it was too good. When we were out of air, we came back up to swap out on the boat and venture to another dive site. Trying to get back on the boat was an exercise in futility and several times, the boat nearly landed on my head as it bobbed in the swells. Rule of thumb, if the propellor comes out of the water in the waves, you probably shouldn't be diving.

Once back on the boat, I immediately vomited over the side and called it quits - burying myself under a towel for the remainder of the trip. Surprisingly, the rest of the group did take the second dive, although for only about 15 minutes.

The journey back to the Hideaway was rather uneventful, except for the divemaster in his speedo and legs spread wide to showcase himself for the ladies on board (one of them being my wife). That was a disgusting display and very unprofessional. My wife was thoroughly disgusted and I'm not sure if her vomiting was caused by that or the swells we continued to endure.

Everything else at the resort was very nice. The food was decent, not excellent. There was a nice buffet on the lawn our first night there and the rest of the meals were pleasant, but not overly great. I imagine it was just because they were still getting their feet wet after only just opening to the public, so I'm guessing it will improve as time goes on. Trying to get into the other high end restaurants was impossible and we were not able to experience them.

The rooms are gorgeous. The decor was spectacular and the quality was amazing. We were thrilled with our room, even though it was a bit further from the dining and beach/pool. Again, the only thing that was disappointing about the room was the stolen artwork. I know Mr. Brandt's work was prominently on display in the rooms, so I wonder if the other work was stolen as well. It's just a shame that such a nice place is ruined because they are dishonest.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank goillini34
Lucie M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear goillini34,
we thank you for the remarks concerning your stay at the resort, we appreciate any comments may be useful in order to improve our services to customers. We wish to clarify that we actually bought the images displayed on Tripadvisor from a well reputed supplier of hotel furniture located in Bali (Indonesia), among many other furniture items. Therefore, we were definitely not aware about any misuse or unauthorized exploitation of Nick Brandt’s images. The above being stated and clarified, please be informed that, to avoid such circumstance may affect our name and reputation, we are currently removing any and all such images both from the websites where the same are displayed and physically from the walls of our resort’s accommodations, as clear good faith behavior from our side.
With regards the scuba diving since your visit in June we have changed some of the team members and safety is of utmost concern to us and Team Aqua Zanzibar, dives would be cancelled if it were too dangerous on the day. I know you had correspondence with the dive center at the time and that you were not charged for your experience as a good will gesture. I hope you will consider returning as you seemed to enjoy the resort. With kind regards, Lucie

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Fantastic surroundings, very close to good scuba diving areas. Night barbecues in the beach surrounded by candles and tasting local fish, quiet beach with incredible colours and .. service all day offering a big smille.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear iaugustin, many thanks for such a nice review. We are happy to hear that you had an excellent stay with us and that you enjoyed our candlelight beach dinner. I will share your comments with our staff who will be certainly very motivated by it. Hoping to hosting you again soon. Best regards, Lucie