“Paradise Resort!!!”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Genoa, Italy
“Paradise Resort!!!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had a really good stay here. Resort was clean and safe. The staffs were amazingly helpful and friendly AND always greeting us by name this is a very fun and interesting group of beautiful people who obviously love their job as much as we loved staying there. You got the feeling that they really enjoyed their work. All three restaurants served a very good food .Good location too .Our suite was very spacious and kept clean daily. Hopefully come back.
Thanks to Giuseppe Recreation manager!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Daniela G, Guest Relation at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear paol796
Thank you for your fantastic and incredible review on Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa. We don’t found word how to thank you for appreciate your comments regarding your stay about all entire Resort . Once again thank you for your absolutely wonderful review and very kind recommendation will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.
Thank you again we look forward to serving you in the future.
Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have stayed at the Hideaway of Nungwi (HON) with a friend for 5 days in July.

We were very excited to stay at the HON as it is a member of Leading Hotels of the World of which I am very fond, as an alliance of the best hotels of the world.

The only word that comes to my mind to sum our experience, is "catastrophic", thus the title of this review.

I will start with the pros before moving to the cons.

PROS:
-The hotel location is very serene and Idyllic for total relaxation;
-The hotel infrastructure is 5 stars: The lobby, the pool, the restaurants (decor) and beach facilities;
-The beach is absolutely fabulous;
-The spa is great;
-Francesca, the front desk manager is brilliant (the only brilliant employee they have - ok in addition to one other Thai gentleman at the Spa).

CONS:
-The internet is nonexistent in the rooms (which hotel in the world doesn't offer internet in the rooms nowadays!!?) and is slow, if available elsewhere;

-They had no beach towels for 2 consecutive days. It is a beach resort, towels should be more readily available than sand!

-The scale in the room was not working. Called reception and asked for the scale to be changed. Nothing happened. I thought maybe the next day with the cleaning. Next day, nothing. Called again, they promised to send it within 20 minutes. 20 minutes later, nothing. Called again and started screaming, scale was changed.

-At the pool bar: "Can I please have some more of these chips". "Let me check". Let me check?!?! Seriously? What is there to check?! 20 minutes later, no chips... We left.

-The small mirror in the room had fingerprints on it (not ours) and some dirt (the first day). I hoped the next day the cleaning staff will clean it. next day and the one after that... Nothing. I cleaned it myself. (Pictures attached).

-The food. What can I say about the food. Catastrophic comes to mind again. We had food at a small shack in town for 14$ for 2 (Taperia, absolutely brilliant btw), that was way better than the 80$ buffet at the hotel. The Aqua restaurant food is so bland and tasteless and repeated everyday. The food at Ichi Teppanyaki (supposedly Japanese) is really not Japanese (as you can see from the attached menu) and even the ones which supposedly are, don't taste like anything Japanese you have tasted before. To avoid. Carnivorous is actually good, for a change.

-I asked the waiter at the pool if he can kindly bring me an internet pass (log in + password) as mine had expired (I find it weird that it lasts only for 2 days when we are staying for 5!), he answers me with "you have to go up to reception and bring it". When I pay 500$ a night I expect the waiter to rush to reception and bring me one! After I told him to call his manager to speak with me, he finally brought one from reception!

-Bed nets. Every afternoon I closed my bed-nets (this is after all a Malarial region) just to come back to the room and find them fully opened! I called the first evening asking reception to ask the turn-down staff not to touch my bed-nets again and leave my bed like they find it. At any 5 stars hotel this would be the end of it. The next day, I come back from the beach at 6 pm, I find my previously closed bed-nets open yet again. I closed them, called reception and complained again, then went to dinner. Back from dinner, the bed-nets were open again!!!! Leave those bed-nets and tell your staff to leave them!

-Service. Service is catastrophic. I am being nice when I say catastrophic. Seldom does any uniformed employee greet you (they should see what other employees at LHW elsewhere do!). At lunch or dinner, they interrupt you in full conversation to ask if you would need anything else (if I clearly have food on my plate and wine and water and napkins and utensils on my table, what else would I need!!!). Most don't have manners nor courtesy. Local staff are very friendly and smiley and they wanna help, all they need is training, so train them! Saying the local staff don't have high service level is hideous! I don't think Indians in Agra or Jaipur were born with high service standards, Oberoi taught them or the ones at the Four Seasons Maldives, etc etc etc. Train them! Follow them around, listen to them, fine-tune what they say and do and how they say and do it!

-The cheapest materials are used in the rooms and around the hotel (trash bins, toilet paper, shampoo, body lotion, soap dispenser, etc.) For 500$ a night one would expect better (i.e L'Occitane at worst, preferably Hermès!

-Devil is in the details and whoever is running the show at HON is surely not detailed, as you can see in the attached pictures...

After many complaints, Francesca offered us a massage, which was both a very nice gesture and a very good massage (Kudo for the Thai masseuse), however our vacation was already ruined.

It is very unfortunate that such a nice hotel and setting had such a low level of standards and service. I would give it a maximum of 3 stars. I am convinced that if LHW audit the hotel they will surely lose the alliance.

My advice is, spend your money elsewhere, you will surely get more bang for your buck.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
13 Thank Akkkk
Daniela G, Guest Relation at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you much for your feedback on your stay Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa.
We are quite surprised to read about your dissatisfaction during your stay at our luxury resort , which so far on tripadvisor achieved so far 289 Excellent, 74 Very Good, 27 Average, unfortunately for you only 16 poor and 8 terrible including yours, after only 15 months operations.
Being a LHW property we have to follow high standards in service. For example The Housekeeping cleans the rooms 2 times a day, three times a day also change the linens, the bathroom is clean and disinfected. All cleaning is done with new cleaning mops suitable and different materials in order to give the best and no piece of paper as shown in the photo.
The mosquito net was arranged as requested by you, and the last time your screaming and swearing to our local staff was quite rude and unnecessary.
The electronic scale that we put in the rooms is always controlled prior to arrival and is 'always in perfect working order, and when some of you reporting as in your case we substitute them on the same day.
All the material and the interior design of the Resort is handcrafted in Indonesia with the highest refined materials. The interior design reflects the heritage and history of the Zanzibar island, as our whish is to make guests bond with the destination and eventually come back for it s uniqueness.
Our restaurants are very popular in the Zanzibar island as we get guests of other hotels also joining us for dinners, both for the panoramic view and the special cuisine and menus.
At the main Aqua restaurant we actually got the impression that you were enjoying the food by gently noticing you filled up the dish more than once. If we would know you had a particular dish request, I am sure our Executive Chef would have prepared it with pleasure.
Despite all, the word “Catastrophic” is beyond acceptance and tolerance of what our great Resort really has to offer in terms of service, accommodation and facilities.
We would be glad if you would contact us and perhaps come back again in order to review your impression on the Resort and our Team.
We remain at your disposal for further clarifications and additional information.
Kind regards
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

What a great place. 1st time visitors to Zanzibar and we will definitely be back. Hideaway was a great choice. Top notch staff who knew our names and our every move. Great food and service in the restaurant. Amazing beach with good bar facilities. More sunsets than you can shake a stick at. The all inclusive option is a real winner. Fantastic 'gala' themed dinner evenings on Tuesdays and friday nights. The only thing we found odd was the lack of a dedicated tea/coffee station in the room and then the noise coming up from the pool terrace at night. Make sure you get a room further up. Apart from that... Amazing!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Dave T

Thank you for your great review on Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa. We appreciate your comments regarding your stay It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback in particularly about the Staff, The Food, The Service. Once again thank you for your absolutely wonderful review and very kind recommendation will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.
Paris, France
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The rooms are very confortable and big. i was very surprise with the proximity with the sea which is very closed. The service is perfect and very fast. The employees were very kind with my children The restaurant was very good. I hope to come back soon

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Alon R
Daniela G, Guest Relation at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Alon R ,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, the comments we receive are key to our continued process to improving the quality of our service. We are happy to hear how much you liked our resort and our staff and in particular the food. Thank you for your planning and we all hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Tervuren, Belgium
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 10 nights and absoluetly loved it! The resort is just beyond beautiful and so peaceful. Service and food was amazing -lots of variety offered and staff was very friendly. All hotel employees were welcoming and extremely helpful at all times! I will definitely go back and recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fenna7
Dear fenna7,
Thank you for your great review on Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa. We are so happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations. We are proud of our great service and even more so of our hardworking Team. Once again thank you for your absolutely wonderful review and very kind recommendation, please do let us know when you wish to stay with us next, it would be our pleasure to welcome you with all the staff
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Beautiful resort - chose the all inclusive package (accomm, all meals and limited alcohol (excludes imported brands). Rooms, food and service were excellent - the calamari and passionfruit mojitos in particular were delicious! The only complaint was that the aircon in the room is motion-sensored, so at night it got very hot! So advise to turn on the fan. Spa was quite good. Beach front was absolutely wonderful. Stone town is about 1 hr away but not really our scene anyway. Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank parsifal18
Once again thank you for your absolutely wonderful review and very kind recommendation, please do let us know when you wish to stay with us next, and it would be our pleasure to welcome you with all the staff
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 22 July 2014

A terrible experience for a family of 12. The rooms were very average relative to other resorts in Zanzibar. The shower ran out of hot water (not pleasant after a day on the beach); the WiFi did not work in the rooms; the food/drinks were absolutely terrible; and the service was horrendous (it took over 90 minutes to get snacks ordered from the pool bar). For an all inclusive 5 star resort, the drinks were very 2 star from pool bars stocked with no-name alcohol brands, and the food was grim, even by average buffet standards. The sheesha bar had only 2 working sheeshas stocked with expired product. The only saving grace was the beach...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Waheeda2
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Thank you for your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor although I am really surprised to read about your comments and reviews .

All the clients coming to Hideaway of Nungwi Resort are very happy and excited to have experienced high operating standards and great food quality and choice, thanks to which our number of repeating guests is increasing. Of course we also get many compliments on the accommodation size, interior design and view towards the ocean.: the biggest leading room is a Luxury Junior Suite with 45 sq. MT2, 14 sq. MT2 Bathroom, an 20 MT2 balcony and terrace. All the clients and guest are surprise for the high level of service and the high level of professionally of the staff that we have and get us very proud. At our Resort we have the most advanced control system called Osmosis that is a water purification system with European machinery. At the head of the Kitchen we have a very important international Italian Executive Chef and an Oriental Sous Chef supported by 37 cookers. Also we apply daily procedures and controls HCCP, and strict controls of food and beverages which arrive only from top Tanzanian trusted suppliers. (For example all the row fish is stored at -30°C refrigerators and then it is ready for cooking and for being served)
I would like to bring to your attention that Hideaway of Nungwi Resort &Spa has been opened for 15 months and as you will see the resort has received a very high approval rate and high scores of guests satisfaction.The food in a particular way is very much appreciated and praised by all customers who stayed at the hotel.We have received approximately 407 reviews in comparison to many there hotels that have been opened for more than 4 years with, reaching a Trip Advisor satisfaction of 88 % for Hideaway of Nungwi Resort.From these 407 reviews we only have 6 bad reviews with yours. Our Horizon Terrace and Sunset Bar are second to none, facing every day incredible sunsets, and serving our guests exotic cocktails and soft drinks.The 'Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa has a well-equipped medical center with a specialized doctor who provides his service seven days a week and he is at complete disposal of the hotel guests. It would be a great pleasure for me, the staff and the management to have you and your family again as our guests to show the truly 5 star experience at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa , hopefully for more than only one night like your recent stay.
I remain at your disposal for any further assistance.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
Essque Zalu Zanzibar
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est
The Z Hotel Zanzibar
The Z Hotel Zanzibar
#2 of 17 in Nungwi

Been to Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!