“Honeymoon treat!”

Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
“Honeymoon treat!”
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic and welcoming experience we had at Hideaway Resort! Before I write my review I would like to point out that these negative reviews do not match up with what you actually get! We came across some rude, demanding people on their holidays that treated the staff with no respect so if like me months ago your reading these reviews thinking hmm maybe not just ignore these people. If like any hotel something is not to your liking then deal with it there promptly and not wait until you travel a days worth home and then review! The staff simply could not do anymore to please and are the friendliest people to talk with. Book hideaway!

As it was our honeymoon we upgraded to privilege area well worth it as you get whatever you want whenever and the room is massive and the butlers are so attentive and friendly. We had beautiful views and could dine in any of the various restaurants and thoroughly enjoyed the food and ambience! Zanzibar operates at a different speed of life but the maximum wait for drinks as we lay by the pool was 10 mins (cocktails being freshly made) and food was varied and enjoyable! They do a gala night and Africa night with different food and entertainment ! We made the effort to learn people's names and try Swahili and the staff really appreciate that. We loved our stay and have travelled many places around the world so if you love travel like us ignore the petty gripes of uptight people and enjoy a first class stay!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kimhop
Marie G, Guest Relations Manager at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2014

Jumbo ! Mambo !
We sincerely would like to thank you for your great post on Tripadvisor ! We appreciate your extremely positive comments and it always gives a lot of satisfaction and pleasure to all the staff to read that their efforts for an excellent service are meeting the expectations of our guests. Asante from the team ! Furthermore we are also happy that you appreciated the privilege of an upgrade for your honeymoon as an exceptional attention we provide upon availability. We are thrilled that you chose Hideaway of Nungwi to celebrate your honeymoon and that we made these special holiday unforgettable.
“Karibu Tena” for your wedding anniversary next year !

Guest Relation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We split a seven night stay between the Melia and the Hideaway. It cost us a lot more then doing a seven night all inclusive at one hotel only, but didn't mind since it was a very special occasion and we wanted to experience both sides of the island as well. My last 3 days was at the Hideaway ,and was told that it was way above any other 5• property but I was so disappointed ! It was a very special birthday as it was my 50th and thought that this was by far more superior and special and and Ideal for the occasion! We arrived to a long wait for check in , there was no special welcome even though my partner had informed that it was a special occasion. We were told that the rooms were not ready and were sent to the bar only when we asked We arranged for an early checkin so that we could settle in , relax at the beach or in our rooms and get ready for a celebration that night, we waited for about 5-6 hours for our rooms we couldn't go down to the beach as our clothes where in our bags and the reception was very far up. We waited and waited and were very hungry since our last meal at the Melia was a long time past. We were shown to some sandwiches but the tray was empty (an all inclusive package)by the time we were given our rooms was so late and our friends and us were so far apart that it was a mission to get to each other. As if that long a wait was not bag enough we also had to wait another 2 hours for our luggage. By that time a night that we so looked forward to , turned out a total anticlimax as we were TOO tired to go elsewhere. We went to bed at Eight. (So much for a big birthday bash) The staff and management did not even have a cake or a greeting for my special occasion. Then the meals were just as big a disappointment too. One venue for all three meals. Whereas at the Melia there were different options of Resturants , locations and meal choices. Here it was the same food everyday, with very few differences in dishes I felt that the meals were pathetic!!fruit was very standard and service was very bad. I really felt that it was a big mistake to have come here. There was no apologies

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Smita1963
Marie G, Guest Relations Manager at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 October 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. Kindly accept our apologizes for the inconvenience cause during your stay in October 2013. Please be informed that since last year our service has been highly improved and the whole team of Hideaway of Nungwi is doing its utmost for every guests to enjoy excellent holidays in paradise.
We are looking forward to welcome you back to show you our success !
Sunny regards from Zanzibar !

München, Deutschland
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Stunning location overlooking the large Pool and the sea. Spacious room with a great view in bungalow-style building - jun suite -
a small but very nice sandy beach and tasty food make it worth the long ride from Stonetown. Very friendly and attentive staff in the restaurants

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank docholiday57
Dear Valued Guests,

The team is happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort and Spa. The staff is always doing his utmost to offer the best service and we are happy that we met your expectations.
We hope to welcome you again at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort and Spa with friends or family.

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We arrived at Zanzibar airport and had to take a minibus taxi for about an hour to get to our hotel. But it goes quickly and the driver was very nice and drove like mad max.

I am going to keep this sort -
Pros:
Wonderful staff, helpful and always friendly
Scenery beyond compare. 'Post card' blue water and white sand
Above average food.
Really accommodating staff and personal
Wonderful excursions available
Clean spacious rooms

Cons:
Wifi is almost non existent , slow connection and connection drop every 5 min
Language barrier very apparent. Really had difficulty communicating even with personnel at front desk.
No bath tubs in bathroom.

Overall a really wonderful stay. Good for any vacations type - families, couples, honeymoon.
Choose a room close to the beach - even though all the rooms have a wonderful view, the rooms higher up are quite far from the pool and eating areas.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hugosa001
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your excellent feedback on Tripadvisor !
We are thrilled to read that your stay was really wonderful. The team shared your comments concerning the Wi-Fi and in December 2014 a new internet connection service will be provided to our guests. Furthermore the staff is impatient to participate very soon to the new English lessons organized for the team members in order to improve the language communication.
We truly thank you for the excellent notes concerning the Cuisine, the Suites and the friendliness of the team members.
We wish to welcome you back soon at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa.

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I travelled to Hideaway on my own and I was slightly apprehensive because it's been a long time since I've travelled solo but my fears were eased from the moment I arrived. The staff was excellent and very attentive. The restaurant staff in particular made a point of remembering my name and would offer me reading material because I was on my own. They'd come and chat with me but without being intrusive and they made my stay all the better.

The room was fantastic with a beautiful and uninterrupted view of the ocean. Even the maintenance and housekeeping were very efficient; for instance when my A/C developed an issue on the 3rd day, it was quickly repaired while I was away.

I'd chosen the all-inclusive package and the buffet food was wonderful and so was the house wine.

I enjoyed my 4.5 hour Upya spa treatment, which didn't feel that long and my spa therapist, Hamida, was very professional and fantastic at her job. I felt like a new person by the time she was done. I'll definitely be going back for a massage.

I also went on a half-day snorkelling trip organised by the Diving Centre at the hotel and it was an amazing experience that I would recommend to anyone staying at Hideaway.

My only issue is the evening entertainment on "African" night. The traditional dancers were too risqué and some of the dances were completely inappropriate for the GE audience as there were several people with children.

Overall, I would most definitely recommend Hideaway to anyone who wants some time to recharge especially because phone network is scanty and wi-fi is only available in the common areas. This literally means one has little choice but to enjoy their surroundings and everything the hotel has to offer with little to to interruption.

I will most definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Marie G, Public Relations Manager at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

The whole team of Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa would like to thank you for your great feedback shared here on Tripadvisor and thank you for the nice comments about the staff and their excellent service. The shows we offer to our guests are all different during the week; we offer the African show for the African traditional culture, the music band also for the international music and the acrobatic show for the local culture. We apologize if you were disappointed by one of them. We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed your relaxing stay with us.
We are looking forward to meeting you again at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa.

Warm regards,
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We spent a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing week at Hideaway of Nungwi. Apart from two minor hickups (lack of daily mini bar restocking and shortage or bathroom towels on the odd occasion), our experience was memorable. Thank you to Elizabeth, Mary, Faith and all the other staff at the resort for your friendliness and making our stay most enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alimers
Marie G, Guest Relations Manager at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

We are pleased to read that our staff and the service provided met your expectations and that you enjoyed your relaxing stay at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort and Spa. The entire team would like to thank you for your great comments, it was a unique pleasure to make your stay a memorable experience.
We will be more than happy to welcome you back soon in Zanzibar !
Sunny regards,

Nairobi Region, Kenya
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hideaway of Nungwi, A Leading Hotel Of The World is surely an exceptional and place of dreams located in North West Zanzibar. It exceeded my expectations in all ways.

My boyfriend and I are more than glad to have chosen Hideaway of Nungwi as our choice of hotel. We couldn't have asked for anything better. Friends and colleagues always tell me, service in Zanzibar is much slower than Mombasa , but the staff of Hideaway of Nungwi proved my friends wrong and blew us away totally. We had booked directly with the hotel through a very friendly and extremely helpful gentleman called George who handles the sales and marketing. Thanks George for making our 4 nights of stay spectacular.

We arrived at the hotel in approximately 60-70 minute from the airport. On arrival, we were warmly greeted by Mr Capucino who then directed us to the reception to check in where we were welcomed with a drink, cold towel and cheerful smile from the receptionist. Unfortunately our room was not fully ready at this time and since my boyfriend was not well, the management kindly offered us a bottle of champagne brought to our room to show an appreciation of apology which we were really grateful of the consideration. Thanks Nora!

As we entered our prestige junior suite,we were received by a subtle flowery scent. All elements in the room including the bathroom, the Italian & Omani decor, the beds, views of the room were remarkably thought through. The large king size poster bed was super comfortable and just from our bed we enjoyed the lovely view of the hotel and the ocean. On the left side of our bed, we had a lounge area with a sofa set, coffee table and a tv which was perfect to relax on after a swim. The views from our room were spectacular especially the sunset every evening which are definitely not to be missed. The room had a huge balcony with 2 sun beds. The bathroom and walk in closet are well designed with 2 sinks, a powerful rain shower, a separated washroom in the bathroom and the walk in closet where we could hideaway our suitcases. The black marble, the light fittings really gave a warm feeling to the room. The rooms was spectacularly clean and well kept. Every night the housekeepers came to the room for a turndown service and made the room look clean once again. Thanks to the housekeeping team for the outstanding work.

The layout of the hotel is such that, it is on a slight hill and this makes views of the ocean from almost all the rooms fantastic. Even if you do happen to get a room close by to the reception, the club cars will always be there at your service if you do not fancy a short walk. The landscape is filled with lush green grass and beautiful flora and it is very well maintained with not only automatic water sprinklers but hardworking gardeners who take care of it everyday.

We decided to spend 4 nights at the beautiful hotel. The location of the hotel is great as they are only 2 or 3 hotels clustered around the same area and this makes it less commercial as they are not as many people on the beach. Also, Stone Town for sightseeing is only an hours away drive from the hotel.

Moving onto food, my utmost favourite thing! The dining area is located right next to the beach so guests had the opportunity to enjoy a fresh breeze and stunning views of the ocean and beyond whilst dining away. Every single time we came down for a meal, we were warmly welcomed by our first names, assisted us with our beach bags to our table which made it very special. Thanks to Mariamina for the great service and always having a smile on her face. No doubt the rest of the staff were excellent too.

Breakfast included a selection of fresh fruits, fresh juices, smoothies with a large variety of ingredients to choose from, egg and pancake live station, breads, paninis and hot dishes such as sausages, potatoes and much more. A selection of more pastries would have been great however we enjoyed every bit of it. Lunch and dinner was extraordinary too. They had pizza and pasta live stations with different varieties every day. A considerable selection of local and international hot dishes, live station of seafood, a variety of salads and desserts too. At times we felt there was a repeat of the dishes that were served however those dishes were tasty. Thanks to Chef Sanjeewa and his team for the enormous effort they put in everyday. Chef Sanjeewa also cooked us food that was not on the menu on request. They also had a good selection of cocktails and the best thing was they used international alcohol as opposed to local. Also on the Friday we were there we enjoyed an extensive gala dinner with great entertainment by Giuseppe. However the night entertainment is somewhat similar everyday, so having something different would make it awesome.

We enjoyed spending our day by the pool and the beach, the beach bar and the spa. The swimming pool is an infinity pool so expect phenomenal views. The pool attendants were super and always at your service whenever we needed assistance. The towels were always laid out on the sun beds. As we were on all inclusive, we got the chance to order tasty food such as sandwiches,hot dogs, burgers, fries, fruits as we would always get hungry after our swim. What excited me most was freshly made popcorn by the pool bar as this was the first time I saw this in a hotel. The beach has a beach bar and sun beds. These two put together, was definitely a relaxing moment. Guests also have a chance to use the non motorised water sports complimentary. The spa was magnificent with a gym facing the ocean, an outdoor jacuzzi, massage rooms, steam room and sauna room. It was very quiet as they weren't any other guests apart from two more people.

Once again, we had the most pleasant time and can't wait to be again at the hotel very soon. Kudos to the entire team. I am sure the service will only get better.

Room Tip: Try and get a room closer to the dining and pool area.