1,785 results
All reviewsaqua restaurantcarnivorous restaurantjacuzzi suiteresort spateppanyaki restaurantgoshtgala dinnerall inclusive packageour honeymoona la carte restaurantsguest relationsdiving centerinfinity poolspecial thankskids clubamazing resortbeach bar
Reviewed 13 July 2015

This resort is outstanding....

Suite - The rooms/villas have an authentic African design, lots of dark wood and brown colours. There is a large balcony area overlooking the resort's wonderful garden space and all with a sea view. The bathroom is HUGE and very clean, with two sinks, a separate toilet are and cupboard space. Each suite has a 4 poster king size bed, which is extremely comfortable.

Staff - The majority of staff were locals and typically African, extremely friendly, happy and always welcoming. Not too intrusive but always ensure that they can accommodate your requests.

Beach - This is the best beach we have been to! The sand is so soft and clean and the water is crystal clear. Even in off season (July), it only rained once during the day, otherwise it was scorching hot (usually between 1pm - 4pm). We booked jet skiing with the hotel's diving centre. Cost was $100 for a couple to share a jet ski for 30 mins which is reasonable. Most of the water sports are outsourced, and you get picked up directly from the beach.

Food - The food was always good and plenty of variety to cater for all dietary requirements.. There was a lot of Indian options - authentic vegetarian and chicken curries but also a strong Italian influence - plenty of fresh pasta and pizza options. The best food we had was on 'African night' when we had green banana soup and local african curries. The food can be repetitive and sometimes served at a luke-warm temperature at times, though this was not enough to take away from the taste.

Grounds - The grounds are full of lovely and well maintained garden space, full of nicely arranged flowers. The villas are in blocks which are well separated, which meant we often enjoyed walking through the garden space to get to breakfast or go to the beach.

Overall, a fantastic customer focused resort with excellent facilities! We would definitely return

Stayed: July 2015
1  Thank Andrew L
Reviewed 11 July 2015

Just returned from a 6 day break here , the setting and layout with the open space between the Accomadation blocks is a rare thing in modern hotels. Large rooms , the beach is pure paradise, the selection and quality of the food also great.
However there is quite a few negatives about the place ,The air conditioning in your room totally inadequate , it works on a movement sensor so when your asleep or trying to sleep due to the heat it doesn't work , our room never went below 22 deg at night it was 26-28 deg , the ceiling fan has no impact.
The drink service around the pool area ,can be at best described as infrequent , we asked 2-3 times for the same order giving up sometimes completely.
Don't bother paying extra 40 $ each for the ,Tapanyki it sits 6 people only so you all just sit down for a Chinese meal which is ok not fantastic.
We still had a fantastic holiday though .

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2015

Was an unforgettable vacation, everything what we expected was there, good ambiance, service, infrastructure and great selection of food.
One can tell that the resort is pretty new, because it is in a very well looked after status

Room Tip: since I dont know all the rooms, it is difficult to make a comparison - take a villa with pool
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank marcobicocca
Reviewed 8 July 2015

we stayed here LAST YEAR and enjoyed every minute starting from the booking process to the check out stage,

THIs YEAR was not as good unfortunately,
overall the resort has great facilities, great beach and warm staff and service, however, the buffet food (Indian cuisine) seem to be repetitive over the 4 days we stayed, there are other options like pizza, italian and chinese so not so dull, but food made and presented nicely.

some hiccups on the check in (waited approx 3 hour for the room) but i presume that is only once off hiccup, i would recommend to make sure everything is very very clear on booking stage , preferably in writing as the reservation office seem to have short memory.

the free Wifi is not good, hardly have signal in most of the hotel areas, but since you're on vacation, that might not be very important for some.

the WORSE PART that I'm afraid will not let us go back to this resort is the aweful water sport and diving centre facility,
the owner/manager seem to care more about making money than the wellbeing, safety and enjoyment of the guests.

The snorkelling and diving equipment is old, poorly maintained and deteriorating,
last year when we visited the usage of the stand paddling board was free, this year they decide to charge a ridiculous amount to use the SUP, charging for such a petty service show the policy and mission statement of the center.

further more, we booked a dive where the weather was lovely sunny and clear sky, the next morning it was heavy raining, cloudy and didn't seem like a weather to dive, we told them that we prefer not to dive as the weather seem very bad (i have rescue diver license with over 100 dives and i live in Dar es Salaam so i know the conditions pretty well), also explained him that my wife doesn't feel so comfortable diving in these cloudy, rainy and wavy conditions, first the woman on the counter said she will not charge us, then the owner (called Andrea) jumped and said he have to charge us, leaving us no choice but going for the dive.

while gearing up, two wetsuits tore down while trying to wear them, also asked for soap to clear the mask which the owner said "its on the boat" which i found out later that there is no soap on the boat.

then when the boat reached to the site after the captain literally was GUESSING THE LOCATION, we geared up and jumped to the very wavy water, the local dive master realised we are off the site so we had to go back on the boat and go further to the site, while one of the divers is hanging on the side of the boat from the rope (which he could easily get loose and chewed by the engine).

while diving down, the dive master didn't seem to know the bottom and kept taking us to flat sand locations where there is simply nothing to see, in addition toward end of the dive, he took us against the current where it was hard and had to kick hard to get forward.

then when on surface, the guys on the boat came to pick us bit too fast so no one could actually hold on to the boat (luckily no one got hurt) , so they turn around and came again, they were way too lazy and we needed to remind them to help us to get the gear onto the boat.
the fruits and refreshments on the boat seem like someone chewed them already and not so pleasing.

the second dive was even worse, poor visibility, the dive master again didn't seem to know where to dive, my wife got stung by some fire coral so when going on the surface asking for first aid kit or even vinegar to ease up the burn - they said they don't have !!

im not so sure, but i doubt if PADI will certify this centre again, i will definitely make sure PADI int'l will get the info about this club to ensure they are up to standards.

to sum up - if you are planing to do some diving while you visit Zanzibar - then Hideaway Diving Centre is DEFINITELY NOT YOUR BEST CHOICE !!!

other than that - the place does have its charm and magic, their Spa is also a must visit !!

Room Tip: Room 160-165 have lovely view and close access to the beach. rooms 203-208 great ocean view but bit far to reach.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Shay M
Reviewed 8 July 2015

I do not where to even start. I felt like i have a family there and missing it all so much. I surely left my heart at Hideaway and in Zanzibar. From the time i got in and out- the feel and service was so personal and amazing! This resort, this island and its people are beyond beautiful from inside to the out. My first ever island trip and 5 star luxurious resort&spa stay- was perfect!

10 months ago i booked my flights and eventually after TripAdvisor reviews and booking.com price search- i found this perfect indeed hideaway of Zanzibar!
From the time i arrived- the friendliness and Zanzibari culture came across in every staff member i dealt with. My drive to the hotel form the ZNZ airport was a perfect one hour drive just after 1:30am we arrived at the resort. Got in filled in a form, got my inclusive blue band and info doc (which is still have on), and was escorted by a friendly golf cart driver called Ali, he showed me around the room.
The next morning- the room view of the ocean and gardens was beyond magical- i could not believe how beautiful it was!
As you walk down to the pool area and restaurant the view is amazingly beautiful! The beach is AMAZING! White Sand and turquoise blue waters. Magical. So here is my take on the highlights and general view ( my experiences) of Hideaway and Zanzibar:

The location of this resort is so perfect in Nungwi. The beach you can get, warm waters and low tides- so you can swim all day- feels like a giant swimming pool of crystal clean waters. Got nicely burnt by the sun :)

The food was very satisfactory and great variety- the pasta and rice stir fry are so tasty. although i felt the food was repetitive and lacked seafood. Like prawns and more fresh fish- they did have braai fish and fish curry on one day. Special thanks to Mr Gosh for always making sure i was well fed and happy- and sending me the left overs i could not finish to my room- which i enjoyed when i was hungry later.

The room- beyond beautiful- the ambiance was so modern and stylish. I loved the energy efficiency- light and air conditioning came on when you were in the room and on interval just so the room stayed cool enough. The room scent- loved it! The fresh wood scent of the furniture and a very woody orangey scent to it. Every time i walked in i felt wow! The cleanliness ( room was made in the morning and then a special turn done service every evening- where they would close the curtains in a very coordinated manner and do up the bed and net. Amazing! The bathroom has this impeccable design and luxurious feel.

The staff- so friendly and so attentive-helpful and always willing to make you comfortable and abide to your request. indeed special- they try so hard and it is definitely commendable. The receptionist- addressing your name- returning your calls. Claudia- such a warm person- always willing to help with a smile. Thanks so much for everything Claudia. Marie i know we never met- but our 60+ emails in last 6 months was so worth this trip and all my requests were adhered to. Thanks so much!! Mr Ghosh- so friendly and helpful and making sure i had eaten and offering to do anything more. Very kind of him. Ali- the bell boy as they call them- so friendly. The 3 people at the padi centre-Italians- so down to earth and special mention to Suleiman- the guy handling the water sports activities- he was so good- and helped me to my first snorkel ever and had my catamaran boat ride! Wonderful experience. Godfrey- for showing me around-thanks! Ali- the security officer by the beach-thanks for onlooking after my belongings. The lady at the sunset bar- warm and offering me best cocktails (Zanzibar on the beach) only cocktail i enjoyed and very good. The sheesha flavour quality could have been better but was enjoyable late at night. The barman at sunset bar at night was also helpful. Ami at the spa- was very good with my treatment and attentive. Mohammed and the other guy at the yoga sessions. The guys at beach bar for keeping phone and serving my cocktail. Generally everyone is friendly and wiling to assist.

The resort- is truly world class- Zanzibar standard- great look and feel- loved it because of its modern urban young African and Arabic influences- that is why i chose this resort apart from its location and room ambiance. Leading Hotels of the world- yes- but you must remember to all of you that have reviewed this resort- this is Africa and like any other country there are the perks and cons- and that is what makes Africa- its beauty- don't expect so much- but be content. My pros- the beach, the pool, the room and the staff! And the wifi was so good- it did have intermediary do but was generally great- and don't understand how so many reviewers turned it down- best places for good wifi signal are the pool areas, reception, it even worked well at the beach and was averagely good in the room.
The cons- the food- more seafood variety please- never ate prawns, bream whole fish and fresh coconut water? (Zanzibar is so near the ocean and has a abundance of fresh coconut trees everywhere), the bell boys took long at some times to come and the the geyser water was just luke warm- but after 2 calls it was sorted and had hot water :)

Some of things i did while i was in the island:

The snorkeling- go with Suleiman- its right close to the resort and is free with all inclusive package. The catamaran boat ride is also free- go with Suleiman- he is a great guy!
The Dhow sunset cruise- magical and must be done!!

The Rock restaurant- a four hour return drive in Michamvi- but worth the trip- this place is beautiful and go visit the Jozani Forest on the way. i was blown away by the Paje beach- kite surfing, green water and white sand. It is on the way to the the Rock Restaurant.

Had an opportunity to do use Hideaway was a exclusive backdrop to do some portraits photo shoot. Thanks to management for allowing this to happen- Claudia and team. My pictures just not from this shoot but from my phone and cam,era will last forever and stay with me forever...

Stone Town- was great experience to see the pure culture of this island- very old and run down and busy but that is the beauty. Must see- slave market, dharjani market( bought the masala tea bags), the six degrees restaurant, the mercury house, the narrow streets and house of wonders- all close by from each other- and have your heart in your moth as you drive through those narrow streets- but walk it- i believe that is the best way- i was short ion time so did a mini tour.

Spice tour- did a mini tour and was enjoyable. Do Stone Town,spice tour- on the way to the airport so you save up on transport fees.Just my suggestion. It is far.

The drive to and from the hotel during the day is so tropical and exotic with coconut tress, banana trees, run down small houses, vegetable/fruit markets and even in the rain this place is truly beautiful.
Met some amazing families with their adorable children at the resort and will cherish the memories of Hideaway and Zanzibar forever!
I will definitely return again! Highly recommended and a dream resort to relax, unwind and refresh. True tropical, exotic and dreamy holiday.

Room Tip: Room 160- close to the pool, restaurant and beach- quite central and had a lovely view of the ocean and gardens. Ground floor.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo