“Nice Break”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
“Nice Break”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We arrived at the Hotel after two weeks trekking in Uganda and on Safari in the Serengeti.Our room was comfortable and the bed was enormous. The room was acceptable but the bathroom let it down. No towel hooks and poor water pressure were also a small issue. We had a sea view room which although was not entirely of the sea we did have the sea to see! The hotel itself offered most things one would like to have at a hotel and a busy dive/watersports operation too. The swimming pool and umbrellas are a must and was great to have as too much beach and sunshine adds up. The beach is notable because of the security there!. The security issue in Tanzania is remarkable and was a shock as we had encountered NONE in Uganda. To be told by beach security that we could walk one way down the beach but not the other as it was extremely dangerous is sad. However we witnessed first hand security dealing with an "intruder" or beach boy. Enough said! The beach itself though was wonderful and a two hour walk out to the reef at low tide is a must.Borrow some rubber booties from the dive centre.
Shaun the Hotel Manager was helpful indeed and made sure he was on hand to assist us with anything we needed. He also took the time to see us off on departure.The staff generally were either very good or rather average. Mostly very good in fact although service at night seemed to be the poorest especially around the bar area where trying to get a drink was tricky unless you went and got it yourself. Being given a blank envelope at check out for a staff gratuity was unacceptable. I had already tipped throughout our stay on EVERY single drink or meal bought and left money in the room on departure for house cleaning. I also had to fill in a long winded feedback form on check out which I honestly did not have time for but think it should have been left in the room for us to consider carefully during our stay.
Dinner varied from rather good and tasty to poor or to " we have run out of" this or that... Breakfast being a buffet required the usual work to get up and down every five minutes to bring something else you need to the table. A lot of staff lingering around during breakfast which in fact was not helpful but a hinderance. We had just one lunch at the hotel and that was at the beach bar Jahazi. It was excellent!!!,and smashed the hell out of the miserable meal we had up the beach at Hotel Essque.
Tripadvisor is simply that; an opinion offering advice from first hand experience. This hotel was more than fine but seemed to me to be just missing something which i can not quite put my finger on. I think it was lacking in some atmosphere somewhere or maybe it was the staff at breakfast or in the evening time........overall though it is a hotel in a stunning location where the beach is raked at low tide and you have facilities on hand that you need and the drinks are cold!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

We had an amazing time staying at this hotel! The staff was extremely friendly! The food was just delicious! Rooms were clean. Very beautiful beach with a diving centre just next door. We enjoyed a lot! Definitely the place to come back. Thank you Ras Nungwi!

Stayed November 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We spent 5 nights at Ras Nungwi after a week safari and could nto have asked for a better way to spend the second half of our honeymoon. The staff was extremely friendly and went above and beyond to make our stay outstanding. We never had to ask for anything as we were always being surprised with drinks or snacks throughout the day. the food was tremendous and the special private dinner on the beach our last night made was the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: Ask for unit #1 right on the beach. The view was beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I stayed for 13 nights at the Ras Nungwi .
At first I was a bit skeptical , but after the check-in , all my doubts were gone. The place is very pretty and very well maintained. The rooms are cleaned every day with lot of love and decorated with flowers. Although the beach is very small and the fluctuations of the tidal environment, it is very nice. The entire staff , management to the cleaning staff are super nice and accommodating. Because we stayed so long, the management has surprised us with a private dinner on the beach . Sensational!! The food was very, very good. '' Samir , you're one of the best chefs in the world! " The 5 Star Dive Center "Aquarius" , is also highly recommended. Divemaster " David " and Dive Instructor " Jollo " and the team are very trustfull and very gifted to teach new divers. The Spa offers a pleasant ambience and high quality massage. The tours organized by the Reception, we also liked very much.

I can only express my thanks for the best holidays to the whole team of the Hotel Ras Nungwi :

Angelika , Shaun , Bakari , Samir , David, Jollo , Roger , Juma , Sharif , Obodea , Michael , Harrieth , Grace , Burhan , Cornel , Yusuf, Jaqueline and all other whose name I have forgotten .

Room Tip: We recommend the room 6
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at ras nungwi after climbing kili and doing a safari. We found it a bit difficult to decide on an area to stay in Zanzibar as there was not a great deal of consistent and thorough information out there but we finally settled on nungwi, as it was supposed to be quieter than some of the other areas but still with great diving, beaches and hotels. we are so glad we chose nungwi and ras nungwi in particular!!

What can I say about ras nungwi that has not been said before. From the moment we entered the gates we truly felt relaxed and in paradise! We were greeted with an ice tea and warm welcome by bakari, the manager, who showed us around. We chatted to him throughout our stay and he genuinely seemed to enjoy his job and was warm, intelligent and friendly!

Our garden room was beautiful with a giant bed canopied by a mosquito net. The room was filled with boganvillia flowers. The bathroom had a big sink, flushing toilet and great shower with hot water and lots of lovely toiletries.

The pool area, man made beach and sitting areas were all welcoming and well thought out. The tides are really unusual in nungwi. Whilst we were there is was generally low tide in the morning, when you could walk all the way out to the reef and high tide was when the water lapped the rocks of the hotel during the late afternoon and early evening- although this changes all the time. The ocean water was spectacularly blue and warm and the hotel provided free booties to swim in the ocean as there are sea urchins and rocks.

The food at ras nungwi was spectacular and the chef Samir was super passionate about fresh produce, fish sustainability and was generally very warm and welcoming. We chose to get breakfast only - instead of full board- so we could have the flexibility of lunch and dinner elsewhere, although most of the time we ate at ras nungwi anyway. You can walk along the beach at low tide and there are lots of hotels and restaurants along the beach but I thought our hotel looked the most inviting!

We also did a refresher diving course in the pool and a dive on the nearby reef, which was great and convenient as ras nungwi has a padi centre on site.

The amenities were excellent and the hotel has been well thought out. the wi fi was excellent in the communal areas and the staff were wonderful. During the day the staff would walk around with freshly baked cookies and fruit!

We would definitely recommend ras nungwi and would stay again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden area which was lovely. The ocean rooms looked lovely too.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent 4 nights at Ras Ningwi and really enjoyed it.

The pool and beach are great. Excellent large rooms and bathrooms. The staff deliver professional, very helpful and friendly service.

The food is outstanding, cooked by the excellent and enthusiastic Samir and his staff. The fish dishes in particular were super fresh with great flavor combinations.

We only went for one dive, but the dive center was well equipped and the staff there were very helpful and fun as well.

Everything was really well thought through and executed seemlessly. Great job! This is how it should be done in my opinion.

• Stayed November 2013
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Our stay at Ras Nungwi, was an interlude between the busyness of Nairobi and the various safaris we were doing in Kenya.

What a pleasure it was and it certainly fulfilled all our expectations of a coastal delight. We changed our booking from a Garden View room to a beach-side cottage and felt it was well worth the additional expense. From our verandah we had fantastic views over the ocean with its magnificent turquoise colours and the bright-white of the sand.

The room was fabulous! Lots of space, cool breezes through the louvres and a great big bed that was oh so comfortable to sleep in. The bathroom was well fitted out and we were very happy with the room's other facilties as well.

The staff were just wonderful -so friendly and welcoming. Smiles and Greetings everywhere. Many of them have been there for a long time and we thought that there was a true sense of community among them. They were just plain good fun.

We were spoiled with a beach dinner which was just fantastic and the staff dancing with us was just the icing on the cake. I love how they announce dinner every night with drums and some of the staff dancing. Fun!

The food was fabulous thanks to Samir's cooking and also that of his sous-chef James who won an award while we were there (http://rasnungwi.com/wordpress/2013/09/15/ras-nungwi-chef-wins-competition/).

Samir visits each table to chat and see if people are happy with the food and he's a real character so we had lots of conversation and laughs. I have some food allergies and Samir and the team had made sure I was catered for at each meal. There was always a choice of menu at each meal so people could pick and choose what they felt like, but I also knew Samir had made sure I knew there was nothing that would cause me problems.

We did the day snorkel/dive trip and while my phobias stopped me snorkelling I couldn't fault the team. The rest of our party who did snorkel had a great time thanks to David and his team, as the whole process is run very professionally, and safely.

I had a relaxing pedicure which just lasted and lasted. It was quite blissful just sitting on the verandah in the breeze while being pampered.

One of the things I especially liked about Ras Nungwi is the ready availability of shady nooks to be outdoors. Aussies are much more sun-smart (apparently) than others so it was a treat not to have to go inside to avoid risking sunburn. The pool was fine and there didn't seem to be many people actually using it though it was a quiet time.

Among the wonderful staff we'd like to especially acknowledge Juma at the Jahazi Bar; Mary, Grace, Roger and James (Bond) among the wait-staff; Sharima at the pool and David and Sherifu from Aquarius Divers. I've probably forgotten to mention some of the staff who looked after us, but we can honestly say we found them all so very helpful and friendly.

If there was a downside it was being too relaxed and lazy to venture to Nungwi other than briefly on the last morning. Do talk to Samir about when to go and check out the fish auction and tie it to the tide times.

Thanks to one and all for a fabulous stay...memories to last, especially of the happy staff.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple