Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Serious Paradise”

Ras Nungwi Beach Hotel
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed 22 January 2014

There are no words for this place. It's absolutely beautiful. The only complaint I had about the place was that the website does not do it justice. It's exquisite. I loved my stay there so much that i want to come back get married there or do my honeymoon. The grounds are lovely, the rooms or chalets are out of a movie, the staff are friendly and thoughtful. I did the Half board all inclusive which is breakfast and dinner included. The meals are out of this world - dinner is a four course meal that is to die for! Safes in all the rooms, nothing went missing or stolen. The Chalet was cleaned everyday. If you are looking for a nice quiet place to relax - this would be the place. The pool and beach are are great - but the resort also has kayaking, snorkeling and diving to partake in. They will also assist with going into Stonetown if you want to do Spice Tours, sight see or shopping. I bought so much stuff that I had to go to a local market to buy an oversized piece of luggage to fit all my buys! Hands down the best vacation I have ever taken. This would be the only place I would stay at in Zanzibar.

Room Tip: Ask for a chalet on the ocean. You can hear the wave crashing against the rocks every night. It'...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Wow! What an absolutely incredible place. I stayed in 4 hotels on Zanzibar and Ras Nungwi is by far the best one. So much to say about it, so have to do bullet points; Stunning beach and views. Beautiful, relaxing pool. Incredibly friendly staff. Fantastic food (a huge range available and very fresh produce). Luxurious bedroom with modern features such as an ipod docking station. Fun games area with pool table, table tennis and darts for some holiday competition. The whole hotel and grounds were always spotless, not a leaf out of place. Great internet connection (always nice to have, and rare in Zanzibar!) So many great little touches too, including waiters bringing fresh fruit and cold face towels to you on the sunloungers every couple of hours. As a hotel manager, I always have a (rather annoying) habit of seeing faults in hotels I stay at, but here I found none at all - much to the relief of my partner! She has made me promise to take her back to Ras Nungwi within the next 12 months - a promise that I cannot wait to fulfil!

2  Thank 5starwanted
Reviewed 16 January 2014

What a fantastic stay! Our daughter is a Peace Corps Volunteer and has been serving in Southwest Tanzania near the Malawi border for over a year and a half. We traveled to spend Christmas with her and brought her to The Ras Nungwi for 4 nights over Christmas in an effort to "spoil" her a bit since she lives without electricity and running water. Shaun, Angelica, Bacari and the entire staff made our stay absolutely incredible ... "Spoil" is not the right word ... The folks at Ras Nungwi anticipated every move and treated us like royalty. From coming out of the Indian Ocean on Christmas day and having chairs and drinks set up for us on the beach, to the extravagant shows and meals on Christmas eve and Christmas day, they pulled out all the stops. There's no other place to stay on Zanzibar for us. Should we be able to return to Zanzibar, I already know who I'm Calling! Thank you Shaun, Angelica, Bacari and staff for taking such good care of us. Dave, Linda and Mandy Kendall.
p.s. Congrats on your marriage ... our best to you both as you become husband and wife.

Room Tip: We were in a Deluxe Ocean View Villa ... wow ... you can't get any closer to the ocean than that...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Outstanding property. The website does not do it justice. It's situated on a pristine stretch of beach that is breathtaking. The hotel offers every amenity you could want or need without being overly pretentious. Stayed in Garden room and then upgraded to a Superior Deluxe Chalet. Worth every penny to upgrade.

Besides the location and amenities, what makes this such a special hotel are the staff. I've rarely experienced such warmth and graciousness while traveling. They treat you like family, an amazing group. The food is fantastic. Samir balances creativity, bold flavors and flawless execution. Plus he is always good fun to hang out with and get travel tips for exploring the island.

Loved having the Dive Center on site. David and team are the best! Got certified to dive and can't imagine doing it in a more gorgeous location. Dhow sailing is a must.

Highly recommend taking the bicycle and riding into town. Nungwi is fascinating to explore.

I've traveled extensively and Ras Nungwi is by far one of my favorite places I've stayed. It will not disappoint. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Definitely worth the extra money to get a room with a sea view. Sunsets from your patio, overlooking...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ClementineOlive
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Very nice hotel: lovely bungalows, open-air lounge areas and dining room, nice clean pool, all overlooking the irridescent waters of the Indian Ocean.
Amazing food: impressive variety (considering this is Zanzibar) and fresh, fresh, fresh! Excellent service: Shaun is an attentive and devoted manager who's always checking to make sure guests are satisfied. And all the wait staff (dining room, bar and beach area) are genuinely nice and eager to please.
On-site dive shop (Aquarius Divers) is terrific. Equipment is well-maintained, staff is accommodating and helpful. David & Cholo made this an unforgettable experience for our teenage daughters (both novice divers). I also liked that they are eco-minded and genuinely interested in preserving the fragile marine environment.

Room Tip: We stayed in garden view rooms #33 and 34, adjoining rooms that share a very large outdoor terrace...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Very nice experience, ideal location to get some rest after the safari. Beautiful beach just in front, very nice spa.
And the food is just amazing. Chef Samir is extra-ordinary and the main reason that I visited Ras Nungwi for a second time.

1  Thank Peter W
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We went here for the 2nd part of our honeymoon. Beautiful, quiet, romantic location. Smaller hotel so quite intimate. Staff were very nice. Genuine and very attentive. It's more costly than I expected- prices compare to the US for food and drinks and perhaps a little more than US. We spent Christmas here and they had a wonderful dinner. The chef is amazing, he comes around and talks to all the guests personally. Wifi is free which is good- but not available in the rooms. We walked along the beach, played in the warm water, played pool, darts, read while lying in hammocks overlooking the white sand and beautiful blue-green ocean. Rooms were adequately sized and pretty. Bathroom is a bit small but not an inconvenience. We had a garden view room - number 14 but it overlooked the ocean so it's a good choice. We borrowed diving boots and walked along the ocean when the tide was out. Towards the north side of the island ( going left from the hotel on the beach) you will find other hotels and a pier with an amazing restaurant/ bar at the end. Great place to take pics.

Room Tip: ocean view or garden view on the lower half of the hotel closer to the restaurant