We stayed here for the final 7 nights of our honeymoon and it was perfect for what we wanted and needed at the end of our trip. It was incredibly relaxing and the service was fantastic.
The room had everything we needed and was very spacious. The added verandah was lovely when the rains came for the half an hour a day. Having breakfast delivered to your verandah was pretty special. The staff set it up for you every morning at around 7. The tinkering of the cutlery and plates is a lovely alarm clock!
Flame Tree Cottages is very well placed because it is a little away from the main strip of hotels and bars of Nungwi but only about a 1 minute walk! We did find that there wasn't anywhere better to eat than Flame Tree in the area and so were glad that we went Half Board. The bars were also quiet with everything winding down around 10.00pm. This was fine for us because we were looking for relaxation but if you are looking for a party place (as The Lonely Planet describes Nungwi), I definitely wouldn't describe it as that!
The trips and excursions that the hotel offer are pretty pricey and you can get cheaper down the beach. We were advised only to buy them from the guys who have stalls and can give you a receipt. Watch out for Olesimba (the fake Masai) as my husband found out, once you engage with the guy, he never leaves you alone. There are quite a few people who walk past while you are sat in the sun lounger area and they will try to sell you lots of things. You learn to ignore them eventually...or go and hang out by the pool which is a lot more private.
We did some yoga which was absolutely beautiful with the sun setting in front of us. We also borrowed the kayak which was lots of fun.
The owners are very welcoming and they have a chat with all the guests in the evening.
Overall we had an amazing time and I am so sad we are home!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Flame Tree Cottages. A small 16 room beach hotel in a private garden. It is one of the newest developments at the quiet end of the North West Nungwi tourist area, which boasts some of the nicest beaches in Zanzibar. We are beachside & West facing for perfect sunset views & it's a close walk to numerous restaurants and bars of Nungwi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Flame Tree Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Flame Tree Cottages Hotel Nungwi
- Flame Tree Cottages Zanzibar Island/Nungwi