“Fantastic Place!”

Flame Tree Cottages
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed 29 September 2011

My friend and I spent 5 nights in the Flame Tree Cottages and I cannot fault anything here! The staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was great, the setting fantastic, even with the odd power cut! I cannot believe anyone that would complain about this wonderful place, I would suggest they stay in a Hilton Hotel in London rather than go to Africa if all they can moan about is a door getting stuck and a bit of chipped paint!

I booked my trip to Zanzibar with Zanzibar Travel a chap by the name of Michael Sweeney who was extremely helpful and offered us lots of advice and information and I honestlly do believe that our trip would not have been as memorable as it was without his help.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 September 2011

I was disappointed with my stay here despite it being adequate and the staff were very friendly the cottages are very expensive for what they are. The door got stuck in our room and a railing in the bathroom fell down and there was an overall feel that the place was falling apart and could do with a renovation. It was clean however but I was surprised at how expensive it was for quite a basic room and bathroom. Anywhere else we stayed that demanded this price in Zanzibar and in Kenya were simply luxurious and although this was fine it is certainly not luxury. All extras that usually are included in other hotels with a higher price were not included here such as wifi which is an additional $10 per stay. I would definitely not stay here again if I was back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Stayed for a week at Flametree and had a very relaxing visit.
The property is one of the nicest in Nungwi with lovely gardens - lots of room for guests to hang out so you don't feel like you are on top of each other. The rooms are big and comfortable. The food is very good, I didn't feel the need to eat elsewhere. It was great having access to a pool and also being able to swim at the beach.
However the best part of the stay was the yoga - Marissa held great morning and evening classes and the rooftop and yoga chalet were fantastic locations. She is able to cater for all experience levels so I highly recommend her classes whether you are staying at Falmetree or not.
Also the owner, Elizabeth and her husband were very welcoming and it was lovely to see them going around talking to the guests at dinner in the evenings.
There is wireless internet available and I felt very comfortable as a solo traveller - there were a variety of guest, not just all couples.
I would love to go back again anytime I need a relaxing break however this is not the place for a fast paced, high action holiday.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Kat70Dubai
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed here for a week whilst visiting Zanzibar and the cottages in the garden were well equiped and comfortable,set out so not overlooked. The private beach is fantastic and quiet. The family boat which we chartered twice with the Captain and crew, a picnic and snorkelling kit was absolute bliss, swimming with the dolphins and picnicing on the boat, stopping when we wanted as it was just the two of us.

The food produced by the restaurant at anytime of the day was superb, fresh and the flavours are light and reflect the islands vibrancy. We ordered lobster and had a feast.

A car and driver was ordered for us for our day in Stone Town which was brilliant as it meant we could take our time and visit the spice farm on the way back.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and owners. Hope to be back one day

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I cannot recommend this place highly enough!It was the perfect combination of being close to all amenities but still feels secluded.
It comprises a number of cottages enclosed within a garden that leads down on to the beach. Its only a short walk away from the bustle of nungwi. There are some hustlers on the beach but this is worse up near the resorts of nungwi.

The owners were extremely welcoming and we certainly enjoyed the personal touches they added to the atmosphere (recommending trips/ quick chats.) All the staff are extremely friendly and helpful.

We did the snorkling trip/ turtle trip/ spice tour. All well worth a visit. WE arranged everything through flame tree as we were short on time but the owner tells you himself hes not the cheapest option from the outset. His honesty was much appreaciated but I actually felt the extra money waswell spent on the trips as you were at the sites first and less people on the boat!

Ate most nights in flame tree. Great food at reasonable prices. Doesnt always have everything on the menu but very beautiful setting.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed here for the final 7 nights of our honeymoon and it was perfect for what we wanted and needed at the end of our trip. It was incredibly relaxing and the service was fantastic.

The room had everything we needed and was very spacious. The added verandah was lovely when the rains came for the half an hour a day. Having breakfast delivered to your verandah was pretty special. The staff set it up for you every morning at around 7. The tinkering of the cutlery and plates is a lovely alarm clock!

Flame Tree Cottages is very well placed because it is a little away from the main strip of hotels and bars of Nungwi but only about a 1 minute walk! We did find that there wasn't anywhere better to eat than Flame Tree in the area and so were glad that we went Half Board. The bars were also quiet with everything winding down around 10.00pm. This was fine for us because we were looking for relaxation but if you are looking for a party place (as The Lonely Planet describes Nungwi), I definitely wouldn't describe it as that!

The trips and excursions that the hotel offer are pretty pricey and you can get cheaper down the beach. We were advised only to buy them from the guys who have stalls and can give you a receipt. Watch out for Olesimba (the fake Masai) as my husband found out, once you engage with the guy, he never leaves you alone. There are quite a few people who walk past while you are sat in the sun lounger area and they will try to sell you lots of things. You learn to ignore them eventually...or go and hang out by the pool which is a lot more private.

We did some yoga which was absolutely beautiful with the sun setting in front of us. We also borrowed the kayak which was lots of fun.

The owners are very welcoming and they have a chat with all the guests in the evening.

Overall we had an amazing time and I am so sad we are home!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ClaireStrong
Reviewed 10 August 2011

A great place to most trips.
Not to basic and not to resorty.
I will go back no problems.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple