“Great place, thoroughly recommended”

Flame Tree Cottages
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
UK
“Great place, thoroughly recommended”
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We stayed five nights at Flame Tree. I thought the accommodation was really good, perhaps the only improvements I would suggest would be a safe in the bungalow (but must say there was a safe available in the owner's house) and possibly a suitcase stand would have been nice. Having breakfast on your own verandah was so laid back. Food was good and because of the good food and the restaurant setting just beside the beach, we actually ate at the Flame Tree all the time. The beach was just there but if you preferred the swimming pool, that was there as well - what more could you want? If you preferred to try somewhere else for eating, you could wander along the beach and there were other cafes/restaurants quite close.

My daughter's case didn't arrive with her and when Seif, the owner found out, he was going into Stone Town and made a detour to the airport and found the case and sent it back to Flame Tree. That was really appreciated.

We would recommend doing the snorkelling trip just off Mnemba Island, very enjoyable, with a brilliant packed lunch.

I would definitely return. I loved my holiday in Zanzibar and if I went to Nungwi, I would book at Flame Tree Cottages.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 21 October 2011

In my opinion the best in Nungwi. its got a great loaction - 5min walk to the beach bars, the couple who run the place are very nice and there is always a friendly welcome around the place. the pool is great if you want a break from the beach (which is litteraly at the end of the property) would definatly recommend

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2011

We were at the Flame Tree in May of 2010. My daughter has forgotten her beloved bear that she sleeps with at another hotel in Stone Town, Zanzibar. Seif ( the Flame Tree owner) picked it up for us while he was in Zanzibar town for business. We stayed at the Flame Tree in low season so the staff were super attentive. The rooms could use a bit of a spruce up but the meals were excellent and you cannot beat sitting by the beach and eating by candlelight each night. The beach is wonderful and the privacy of the cottages is much appreciated for a low key relaxing vacation.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2011

My friend and I spent 5 nights in the Flame Tree Cottages and I cannot fault anything here! The staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was great, the setting fantastic, even with the odd power cut! I cannot believe anyone that would complain about this wonderful place, I would suggest they stay in a Hilton Hotel in London rather than go to Africa if all they can moan about is a door getting stuck and a bit of chipped paint!

I booked my trip to Zanzibar with Zanzibar Travel a chap by the name of Michael Sweeney who was extremely helpful and offered us lots of advice and information and I honestlly do believe that our trip would not have been as memorable as it was without his help.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I was disappointed with my stay here despite it being adequate and the staff were very friendly the cottages are very expensive for what they are. The door got stuck in our room and a railing in the bathroom fell down and there was an overall feel that the place was falling apart and could do with a renovation. It was clean however but I was surprised at how expensive it was for quite a basic room and bathroom. Anywhere else we stayed that demanded this price in Zanzibar and in Kenya were simply luxurious and although this was fine it is certainly not luxury. All extras that usually are included in other hotels with a higher price were not included here such as wifi which is an additional $10 per stay. I would definitely not stay here again if I was back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dubai
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Stayed for a week at Flametree and had a very relaxing visit.
The property is one of the nicest in Nungwi with lovely gardens - lots of room for guests to hang out so you don't feel like you are on top of each other. The rooms are big and comfortable. The food is very good, I didn't feel the need to eat elsewhere. It was great having access to a pool and also being able to swim at the beach.
However the best part of the stay was the yoga - Marissa held great morning and evening classes and the rooftop and yoga chalet were fantastic locations. She is able to cater for all experience levels so I highly recommend her classes whether you are staying at Falmetree or not.
Also the owner, Elizabeth and her husband were very welcoming and it was lovely to see them going around talking to the guests at dinner in the evenings.
There is wireless internet available and I felt very comfortable as a solo traveller - there were a variety of guest, not just all couples.
I would love to go back again anytime I need a relaxing break however this is not the place for a fast paced, high action holiday.

Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Kat70Dubai
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed here for a week whilst visiting Zanzibar and the cottages in the garden were well equiped and comfortable,set out so not overlooked. The private beach is fantastic and quiet. The family boat which we chartered twice with the Captain and crew, a picnic and snorkelling kit was absolute bliss, swimming with the dolphins and picnicing on the boat, stopping when we wanted as it was just the two of us.

The food produced by the restaurant at anytime of the day was superb, fresh and the flavours are light and reflect the islands vibrancy. We ordered lobster and had a feast.

A car and driver was ordered for us for our day in Stone Town which was brilliant as it meant we could take our time and visit the spice farm on the way back.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and owners. Hope to be back one day

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends