We spent a peaceful weekend at Flame Tree Cottages this September. The cottages are set in a beautiful and peaceful garden. There is a swimming pool with plenty of loungers and hammocks. There are several hammocks perfectly positioned to lie in and watch the sun set over the ocean!
The beach is just the other side of a small stone wall. We went at full moon so the tide was out for most of the morning. However, the owners will lend you old shoes to go walking in the low tide to see the sea creatures. In the afternoon/evening the tide was right up to the stone wall and the currents were too strong to swim in. However, it didn't matter as we were happy swimming in the lovely pool.
The accommodation was comfortable. We had hot water in the afternoons and evenings but not in the mornings. Fast Wifi is available for a small price and there is an electronic safe in each room. Each cottage has a veranda with comfy chairs. Breakfast is served each morning on the veranda. We had juice, hot drinks, bread, butter, jams, a fruit platter and a choice of eggs/omelettes and pancakes.
Food was available throughout the day at the hotel restaurant. It was reasonably priced. I spent roughly £30 during the two days for lunch, dinner and soft drinks. The food was a bit hit and miss. I had a lovely curry on the first night (the nicest in my month long stay in stone town) but the stir fried vegetables with cous cous that I had the second night was a little bland. The fruit crumble was also bizarre as it had watermelon and banana inside.
The couple who owned the cottages were very welcoming and gave good advice about local attractions.
All in all we had a lovely weekend at Flametree amd would thoroughly recommend it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Flame Tree Cottages. A small 16 room beach hotel in a private garden. It is one of the newest developments at the quiet end of the North West Nungwi tourist area, which boasts some of the nicest beaches in Zanzibar. We are beachside & West facing for perfect sunset views & it's a close walk to numerous restaurants and bars of Nungwi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers and Hotels.com so you can book your Flame Tree Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Flame Tree Cottages Hotel Nungwi
- Flame Tree Cottages Zanzibar Island/Nungwi