This is a charming, small and peaceful place located in Nungwi. Booking was easy through their web pages (www.flametreecottages.com) and was answered by Elizabeth or Seif, the owners. 30 percent deposit must be paid via bank transfer, but I paid the whole amount and didn't need to carry so much cash with me. Credit cards are not accepted, only US dollars, euros and Tanzanian shillings. What comes to currencies anyway, do change your money into shillings in Stone Town or Dar es Salaam because there aren't any exchanges in Nungwi. And you get a better value by using local currency rather than dollars.
It's about 1 hour drive from Zanzibar airport to Nungwi and I booked the transportation (50 USD) from hotel. Local minibus #116 also comes to Nungwi, but it leaves from Zanzibar Town's bus station which is 7 km from airport and takes about 3 hours.
Room, or should I say cottage, was very nice. A big bedroom with double bed surrounded by mosquito nets which were sprayed every night, wardrobe and desk with kettle and toaster. Bathroom was also spacious with properly working shower. However, sewage was sometimes stuck leaving water on shower floor. Air condition worked well, but I mostly used just the fan on the ceiling and left windows open - there were mosquito nets on them of course. There was no safety box in the room, but you
can leave valuables to owner's safe located in the main house.
Every room has its own terrace or verandah where breakfast was served. Fruits to start with, then eggs to order, bread, coffee and juice. You just step out of your cottage and someone will come to ask you when would you like to have your breakfast, what a service! You could also order lunch to your own verandah, or have it in the outdoor restaurant where dinner was served.
Service was excellent. There are enough staff and once you've introduced yourself they remember your name. Those wearing green shirts are supervisors so should you have any problems talk to them. There are various trips available. I recommend a snorkelling trip to Mnemba by owners' boat, it was truly amazing undersea world.
Electric cuts were common so take your torch with you. However, there was own generator so the cuts weren't very long, but torch helps you walking on the beach after sunset. Flame Tree is right on the beach. I couldn't understand someone writing it's not. You can walk along the beach or through the village to nearby restaurants and bars. It's safe and there is a lot of night life within 5-10 minutes walk.
All in all, this is a perfect place to relax and enjoy the pole pole (slow) days!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Flame Tree Cottages. A small 16 room beach hotel in a private garden. It is one of the newest developments at the quiet end of the North West Nungwi tourist area, which boasts some of the nicest beaches in Zanzibar. We are beachside & West facing for perfect sunset views & it's a close walk to numerous restaurants and bars of Nungwi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Flame Tree Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Flame Tree Cottages Hotel Nungwi
- Flame Tree Cottages Zanzibar Island/Nungwi