“friendly”

Mnarani Beach Cottages
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel during july, my daughter loved the pool and rabbits walking around,
staff is very friendly very good place to relax, beautifull view of the sunset and the sea has amazing color.
the bungalows are small and too small for a longer period if you have an option to book a larger room I would do that.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here 6 nights and felt like home. The staff was very accommodating to all our needs and we were impressed by everyone - reception, drivers, beach bar and restaurant server. Initially on our first night we were ready to leave due to my allergy of the cleaning/ air freshener chemical but the reception immediately took care of it by providing us another room by the sea and instructing cleaners to use different products. The Rooms are small but clean and most of our time was spent on the beautiful hammocks overlooking the water. On our last night for dinner the hotel arranged a surprise romantic dinner for two which was amazing and beat the sea food we had next door at the "top rated" Essque Zalu restaurant. Highly recommend this place for anyone (couples or families) seeking to relax. Turtle conservation project is a few minutes walk away and the other beach bar/restaurants/ night life spots are less than 20 min via the beach during low tide.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at Mnarani beach cottages, and what a great place to relax it was! It offers a safe, quaint environment, with sprawling views of the wonderfully blue Indian ocean, and a lovely pool. The staff was helpful and when our AC failed in the middle of the night, the next day we were upgraded (not free, but cheap). I suggest going for the bigger rooms that have places to sit, as the small beach bungalows are cramped for more then a single person. Dinners at the restaurant were delicious, although the portions were small. If you are hungry, ask for more, and the Chef will provide it. He likes to keep portions small to favor presentation. I would suggest bigger portions of the Restaurant in general. There is really no quick access to other food, so make sure you either bring some snacks, or eat plenty to tide you over. The bar is fun to hang out at at night and listen to the waves, but they were poorly stocked with drinks when we were there (albeit, it was the offseason).

There is a small local village very close, that I would suggest walking through to really get a feel for the culture. Also, north of the cottage is a little fishing village that is very interesting to walk by along the coast line. They suggest to take care when you walk on the beach, and don't take valuables (although we never felt threatened), but I definitely suggest sunrise/sunset walks on this beach. They are not to be beat!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelatheart85
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My 11-year old daughter and I spent 4 nights at Mnarani Beach Cottages in July 2014. Everything about our visit was fabulous. The Cottages are immaculate and have a retreat-like feel with a quiet atmosphere. The staff are attentive, skilled, and friendly. They helped us book a range of activities and offered advice without pushing us towards any particular excursion. The food is superb--well prepared, beautfully presented, and lots of variety. We booked a spacious superior room with an ocean view and liked having the second floor sleeping area and balcony. My daughter and I enjoyed wading into the tide flats at low tide and found amazing sea stars and crabs. We also appreciated being so close to the life of the Nugwe fishing village and watching the traditional fishing boats come and go and the village women gather fish and octopus from the shallow water.

1  Thank Lisa G
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed on Zanzibar in June 2014 at the Mnarani resort. We booked the honeymoon cottage.
The communications regarding the booking were very good and timely. I overbooked my transfers from the airport on line and was notify immediately by the front desk staff of the error. They were very quick at offering a credit to the reservation.
The staff at the resort were very attentive to all of our needs and courteous. The food at the restaurant was good , I do recommend the seafood dishes which were served daily. It all felt very fresh. The bar was always available and ocean front, with a great view from any of the beach front units. The pool was clean and not crowed . The staff did served the dinners in various locations, some evenings at the restaurant with ocean view ,or poolside by candle light. Our last night at the resort we were surprised by a private table setup at the edge of the board walk above the beach with the ocean splashing at your feet, surrounded by candles. A nice way to enjoy open air dining.
With the suite we had a private access to the beach, next to the massage hut which I thought was a nice touch. The beach at the resort is well kept and well watched by the local security.
We bungalow was large with plenty of space. It did have an upstairs bedroom which offered an open air concept to the outside. The mosquitoes had full access due to the open concept but the nets around the bed made sleeping while listening to the ocean comfortable. The bathroom did require some upgrading . No AC but a nice fan above the bed

Room Tip: The unit next to the Honeymoon suite has a great view also but has Air Conditioning .
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Surfpro98
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Beautiful location alongside turquoise sea, that rolls in under the deck at high tide, so that you feel almost at sea. Lovely gardens with hibiscus hedges, provide a shady respite from the sun. The rooms were small, but were very clean, with nice views, across gardens and deck, of the sea. Nice, authentic locally made sun loungers to relax on. Great snorkeling and diving opportunities close by. The food was good - we really enjoyed the Swahili buffet, and the staff was very friendly. Would definitely choose Mnarani again.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My trip to Nungwi was my first solo holiday, and I was a little bit nervous. However, the staff at Mnarani were so positive, friendly and fun that I felt really at home and very safe and comfortable. The hotel is absolutely beautiful and (in May at least) very peaceful. It is a short stroll away from the main hub of hotels at Nungwi, but this makes it nice and quiet. I would strongly recommend the spa - the lady there is lovely and the service is great.

The beach isn't great for swimming because of the coral and the tide. But they have a nice pool (a little small). But that is the only negative I can think of!
I would recommend this place to anyone!

Room Tip: You might want to choose a sea view room, but both are lovely to be honest
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
#9 of 19 in Nungwi
Flame Tree Cottages
Flame Tree Cottages
#16 of 19 in Nungwi

Been to Mnarani Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!