We arrived at the Gemma Dell Est after safari in Kenya. We were really looking forward to just relaxing however upon arriving at our hotel room we were met by workmen lifting up manhole covers and checking the drains! Great start to our beach honeymoon.
After complaining to the front desk who seem to only understand Italian and not English the work men stopped, then 20 mins later drilling started in a room 5 doors away from us. We were moved eventually but really not a good start.
Hotel is set in a superb location unfortunately it says it’s a 5 star hotel however I felt the standards were not 5 star at all.
The restaurant was nice; albeit the food was a bit samey I counted Lemon Chicken for lunch and dinner two consecutive days. The salad bar was very good as well as breakfast. We had dinner at the Coral Cove restaurant which we both really enjoyed food and service was brilliant. It’s a shame that couldn’t carry through to other parts of the hotel. Maybe it’s just me but I really have an issue with waiters or waitresses taking plates whilst the other person is still eating.
The leisure and fitness facilities were okish. The spa was set out in lovely surroundings although they advertise African Hot Stone Massage per couple, however you actually can’t have the massage together as they do not have enough stones for two people – Bizarre I thought for a 5 star hotel. We did however book a different massage, which was very nice.
The gym area, don’t hold you breath as another review said something from the 70’s. It’s not great at all.
We have stayed in All-Inclusive resorts before and enjoyed our stayed unfortunately this hotel didn’t live up to our expectations.
We did complete the departure questionnaire, explaining all our issues and nobody has been in contact.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within exotic tropical gardens and water features inviting guests to enjoy the pristine view over the Indian Ocean, Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est is located on the north-western shores of the magical spice island of Zanzibar. This enchanting, luxurious and environmentally friendly resort is famous for its magnificent beach and large wharf built onto the open waters of the Indian Ocean and stretches out towards the sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Odigeo, Jovago.com, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamonds La Gemma Dell` Est Hotel Zanzibar
- La Gemma Dell Est Zanzibar
- Gemma Del Est
- Diamonds La Gemma Dell' Est Zanzibar Island/Nungwi