“Wonderful small hotel direct next to The beach”

Zanzibar Retreat Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Matemwe
Reviewed 13 May 2014

A cosy styled hotel far away from the tourist areas, but close to the perfect beach and the best diving areas. I had some wonderful dives and snorkeling with fabulos fish life, enourmous turtles and beautiful dolphins.
Diving and snorkeling companies are just some minutes away with car, or a nice walk by the beach.

All staff are very service minded, much above average in this part of the world, especially with this price. They always do their best to make your wishes come true. And this is about all areas, like off the meny requests at the restaurant, requests for special trips and taxi arrangement, and nice flower decorations on the bed at arrival.

I would recommend this hotel for adventurer (like me), families on vacation (like me), or anyone that want a totally relaxing place.

Room Tip: Small hotell with good standard on all rooms, The second floor rooms have a better view (if you plan...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Zanzibar Retreat Hotel

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Retreat is a cozy little place, situated under palm trees directly on Matemwe beach. I arrived from a noisy and busy Kampala looking for somewhere to relax for a few days, and I could not have found a better place! The Retreat is very laid back: it is quiet and peaceful, the staff is friendly (always smiling!) and there is a good restaurant with a nice veranda/terrace, serving great food from Zanzibar.

The Matemwe beach is gorgeous with turquoise water and white sand - and as a bonus the beach was almost empty when I was there in the end of April. Karin, the assistant manager at the Retreat, helped me arrange a snorkeling excursion (which included both the "Finding Nemo" fishes, as well as swimming with dolphins) - so if you do not want to hang out on the beach all day there are also great diving and snorkeling opportunities.

I warmly recommend this place and I plan to return to the Retreat this autumn - then brining my parents!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Our 5 night stay at the hotel was excellent. The atmosphere is quiet and relaxed. When we told them we were on our honeymoon they gave us a free bottle of champagne and a massage. The rooms were clean and the food was excellent. All the staff were really helpful. We would definitely recommend and go back.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Havent been to other places in Zanzibar but this small hotel / guesthouse was perfect for us. A very relaxing setting, its literally on the beach with coconut trees all around. We asking the staff for fresh coconut and they sent up the gardener to pick some for us.

Since we stayed for a week we tried most from the menu i the including many of the daily specialties which i recommend to try. Ask for extra piri piri if you like spice food, it was perfect for me and my wife, abit of asian touch.
On Wednesday eve they made a huge bbq with beef fillet, fish and lobster plus various salads and sauces, simply one of the best bbq´s i ever attended.

Nothing to complain about the room was clean and cosy, staff was always smiling and friendly.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper floor, even more privacy and you get your own terrace with seaview.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just spent 3 nights at this hotel that is situated on the quiet and long beach of Matemwe on the island of Zanzibar.This hotel is small with about 12 rooms, rooms have a/c and a fan, fairly comfortable bed, Zanzibarian style with a mossie net. Rooms also have wifi, a desk and reading lights on the bed which was good. Rooms are small, I had a double and would feel crowded if I was sharing with someone. Rooms are dark, at least the room I had. Bathroom showers need to have new attachments, mine needed repair when I was there. Pool was decent, big enough to cool off, not large enough for laps and there was enough lounge chairs with pads. Manager, Jan was helpful and most of the staff were helpful and attentive. I had full board and was glad I did, menu was very good, they have a new head chef a young Swedish woman with experience and is highly motivated. Easter Sunday was a special Swedish style buffet, it was fantastic. Supplies in the kitchen and bar ran out when we were there, of basic essentials (tea, tonic, etc). During breakfast there was a huge issue with flies, not sure why as I didn't see any garbage sitting around, maybe just another thing we put up with living in Africa. Possibly installing ceiling fans in the eating area would help.

Room Tip: All rooms are about the same- however there are bigger rooms upstairs that might be lighter and a li...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank julesntanza
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is a small place with a great location on the beach. The food was exellent. None probs to wake up to exellent breakfasts, like rest of the food. Great chef. If you want to explor more of Zanzibar the staff help you. Good rooms on side of the pool. The staf friendly and help you out any way. Go and relaxs.

Thanks Jan and Karin :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We recently stayed at Zanzibar Retreat Hotel for a week in March. Had a very nice stay and we got off to a good start when we got lost upon arrival, ending up at another property. Jan sent over a taxi for us right away which was most kind!
Our room was close to the pool which worked out well - spacious and well appointed.
The staff are very friendly and helpful as well, including Karin. A highlight was the food: really enjoyed breakfasts and I highly recommend their spicy chicken pasta. If you are looking for something more touristy and not as laid back, then by all means look elsewhere.
However, if you are looking for a great beach and an excellent place to stay, then look
no further. I would highly recommend Zanzibar Retreat Hotel to friends and family.
Graham

Room Tip: pool side rooms are great as not noisy as you might expect, however you can request a non-pool side...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matemwe
Zanzi Resort
#2 of 17 in Nungwi
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
#1 of 6 in Pwani Mchangani

Been to Zanzibar Retreat Hotel? Share your experiences!