“a lovely place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Matemwe
Geneva, Switzerland
“a lovely place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed here last week for two days and nights and recommend it highly. The hotel itself is clean and comfortable, the food in the restaurant is very good and the hotel is in a beautiful quiet location right on a white-sand beach. I felt well there and found it easy to be able to relax, which is not something I do so easily. It was very meditative to sit on the cushions in the open-air restaurant under the palm trees listening to the methodical sound of the waves rolling in.

The staff are polite and seem happy and well-treated by the management, who are warm, friendly and professional. They went out of their way to help me feel comfortable and welcome. I am female and was traveling alone, yet I felt taken care of, from the start when I got picked up at the airport to the end when we made a dash from the spice market to the airport to make my flight by the skin of my teeth!! I really enjoyed my few days' stay and wish I could have stayed longer. Highly recommended :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kristinehamn, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

A cosy styled hotel far away from the tourist areas, but close to the perfect beach and the best diving areas. I had some wonderful dives and snorkeling with fabulos fish life, enourmous turtles and beautiful dolphins.
Diving and snorkeling companies are just some minutes away with car, or a nice walk by the beach.

All staff are very service minded, much above average in this part of the world, especially with this price. They always do their best to make your wishes come true. And this is about all areas, like off the meny requests at the restaurant, requests for special trips and taxi arrangement, and nice flower decorations on the bed at arrival.

I would recommend this hotel for adventurer (like me), families on vacation (like me), or anyone that want a totally relaxing place.

Room Tip: Small hotell with good standard on all rooms, The second floor rooms have a better view (if you plan...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Retreat is a cozy little place, situated under palm trees directly on Matemwe beach. I arrived from a noisy and busy Kampala looking for somewhere to relax for a few days, and I could not have found a better place! The Retreat is very laid back: it is quiet and peaceful, the staff is friendly (always smiling!) and there is a good restaurant with a nice veranda/terrace, serving great food from Zanzibar.

The Matemwe beach is gorgeous with turquoise water and white sand - and as a bonus the beach was almost empty when I was there in the end of April. Karin, the assistant manager at the Retreat, helped me arrange a snorkeling excursion (which included both the "Finding Nemo" fishes, as well as swimming with dolphins) - so if you do not want to hang out on the beach all day there are also great diving and snorkeling opportunities.

I warmly recommend this place and I plan to return to the Retreat this autumn - then brining my parents!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Our 5 night stay at the hotel was excellent. The atmosphere is quiet and relaxed. When we told them we were on our honeymoon they gave us a free bottle of champagne and a massage. The rooms were clean and the food was excellent. All the staff were really helpful. We would definitely recommend and go back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Valletta, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Havent been to other places in Zanzibar but this small hotel / guesthouse was perfect for us. A very relaxing setting, its literally on the beach with coconut trees all around. We asking the staff for fresh coconut and they sent up the gardener to pick some for us.

Since we stayed for a week we tried most from the menu i the including many of the daily specialties which i recommend to try. Ask for extra piri piri if you like spice food, it was perfect for me and my wife, abit of asian touch.
On Wednesday eve they made a huge bbq with beef fillet, fish and lobster plus various salads and sauces, simply one of the best bbq´s i ever attended.

Nothing to complain about the room was clean and cosy, staff was always smiling and friendly.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper floor, even more privacy and you get your own terrace with seaview.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just spent 3 nights at this hotel that is situated on the quiet and long beach of Matemwe on the island of Zanzibar.This hotel is small with about 12 rooms, rooms have a/c and a fan, fairly comfortable bed, Zanzibarian style with a mossie net. Rooms also have wifi, a desk and reading lights on the bed which was good. Rooms are small, I had a double and would feel crowded if I was sharing with someone. Rooms are dark, at least the room I had. Bathroom showers need to have new attachments, mine needed repair when I was there. Pool was decent, big enough to cool off, not large enough for laps and there was enough lounge chairs with pads. Manager, Jan was helpful and most of the staff were helpful and attentive. I had full board and was glad I did, menu was very good, they have a new head chef a young Swedish woman with experience and is highly motivated. Easter Sunday was a special Swedish style buffet, it was fantastic. Supplies in the kitchen and bar ran out when we were there, of basic essentials (tea, tonic, etc). During breakfast there was a huge issue with flies, not sure why as I didn't see any garbage sitting around, maybe just another thing we put up with living in Africa. Possibly installing ceiling fans in the eating area would help.

Room Tip: All rooms are about the same- however there are bigger rooms upstairs that might be lighter and a li...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank julesntanza
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is a small place with a great location on the beach. The food was exellent. None probs to wake up to exellent breakfasts, like rest of the food. Great chef. If you want to explor more of Zanzibar the staff help you. Good rooms on side of the pool. The staf friendly and help you out any way. Go and relaxs.

Thanks Jan and Karin :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matemwe
Zanzi Resort
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
#1 of 6 in Pwani Mchangani

Been to Zanzibar Retreat Hotel? Share your experiences!