“paradise”
Review of Azanzi Beach Hotel

England
“paradise”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

After a wonderful 5 night stay I can highly recommend this lovely relaxing hotel. After a busy week on safari in Tanzania this place was just what we needed. We arrive to a refreshing welcome drink before being shown to our room by the amazing staff, who were so helpful an friendly throughout our stay. Our room was absolutely beautiful with an outside shower and Jacuzzi. The food options were brilliant with the lunches being our personal highlight, especially their club sandwich. The beach and the coastline in general are both stunning and the beach boys do not annoy unlike in Some places I have travelled. All in all an amazing stay which we thoroughly enjoyed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GemGem84
Glen F, General Manager at Azanzi Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your posting on Tripadvisor. We proud to receive such positive feedback from our valued guests.

I am so glad that your island holiday was a memorable one and thank you sincerely for your compliments, which I will gladly pass on to my team.

Kind Regards,

Dewald van der Berg
Azanzi Beach Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Greek first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We had our first holiday away at Azanzi beach resort we loved every minute of it, the staff are always willing to help and make your stay memorable.
The room was amazing overlooking the resort pool. we loved the outside shower .
Some days we were the only people at the resort so we got to pick what we would like to eat . this included seafood platters. we were also given a private dinner on the beach.

We thank all the staff for making I a memorable holiday

Room Tip: Rooms close to the pool and beach
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LynseyM995
Glen F, General Manager at Azanzi Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest

Kind Regards,

Dewald van der Berg
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Flight Centre sold us a "5 star Luxury Boutique hotel" with "A 5-star quality dining experience"

Azanzi is far from this.

All taps rusty
Lounger mattress ripped and decrepit
On 6th request our door was fixed. Locked in and out each time
Salt water shower
Food mediocre
No snacks
Terrible loud music all day
Slow service
Hot tub not hot and salt water
Out side room light not working
Every one had issues with their rooms
pool Towels old and tattered
Broken toilet
Broken general toilet by bar
Cock roaches

The pool is completely under cover and all water is salt water so NO FRESH WATER

After a long complaint process with flight centre the hotel offered us a R950 ($88usd) refund, this is even after we paid to upgrade our room with an upgrade fee of R1670 ($155usd)

We are well travelled and we have never had such a difference in what we were sold and what was delivered.

Room Tip: Dont stay here!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank GucciKit
Glen F, Manager at Azanzi Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear sir/madam

Thank you very much for your posting on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback and use this to continuously rectify and improve our product.

I can assure you that a number of the issues mentioned were already in the process of being resolved during your stay. To address the balance, we were closed for three weeks in April for a general maintenance upgrade. Upon our re-opening, we showcase a much improved Azanzi experience with a fresh feel and a new invigorated staff compliment.

Our marketing and sales team is also ensuring that the agencies that sell Azanzi are aware of all details regarding our offering.

I realize that my reply is probably small consolation to you after the fact, but would like to invite you to contact the office of our Managing Director with a view to revisit us sometime in the future. Please speak to Samantha Shuttleworth, the Johannesburg office manager, on + 27 87 740 9261 or samantha@ahagroup.co.za

Kind regards
Boksburg, South Africa
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My husband and I have just returned from the most amazing week at Azanzi Beach Hotel. Our room was stunning and in immaculate condition. Loved the outside shower!! The resort itself is beautiful, clean, well maintained and has stunning seaviews from the bar and dining areas. Waiters were friendly, helpful and acommodating. Especially Jackson, Angelique and Peter. I was given an amazing Birthday treat with a romantic dinner served outside under a beauganvillia filled gazebo with candles and a Birthday cake from management. The manager Glen and his assistant Antionette were extrememly acommodating when it came to arranging excursions for us.I am a photographer and they asked Ali who is an outstanding guide to accompany us on our tour to Stone Town. He knew exactly where to take me in Stone Town and helped me to communicate with the locals. Snorkeling directly outside the holtel was amazing and we saw so many fish. The only bad part was having to leave this little piece of heaven and go back to the real world. We will most definitely be going back!Thank you to all the staff and management of Azanzi for our very special stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laetitiakenny
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Hi Guys,

We just returned from our honeymoon at Azanzi. All I can say is what an amazing experience, on arrival we were greeted by Glen the GM of the hotel. He gave us a quick run down of how the hotel operates regarding serving times for breakfast, lunch and dinner. He also suggested a couple of excursions for us to do but must importantly we just needed to relax.

We were given free room upgrades without having to ask, he personally showed us to the room and gave us a nice bottle of champagne to celebrate our weeding.

About the hotel itself, after reading some of the more recent posts that mentioned maintenance problems and that it was horrible hotel we were a little concerned about the hotels upkeep.... I must say that we were amazed at how well the place was looked after. All I can say is that the people who posted those maintenance issues must have been so bored, they probably spent their whole week there trying to find problems with the hotel.

About our room, as I said previously we were upgraded to a luxury suite with the outside shower. The rooms are very spacious and were cleaned daily by very friendly staff. The outside shower is amazing. We loved the fact that there was no TV or telephones in the room. It actually feels like your having a holiday and getting away from it all.

About the Staff, the staff are very friendly and always willing to go the extra mile.

The food was great, we ere spoiled for choice everyday. The portions are massive and some days we would skip meals as we were too full from the previous sitting.

The only two points I can critique are the following(And I should have told Glen while we were there but it didn't bother me that much)

1. I would love a little more non-motorised watersports to be available, the glass bottom kayaks are great but they need a little attention. Free snorkelling would also be great for when the tide is high.

2. It would also be great if we had a waiter come and check on our drinks while we were lying on the beach.

In summary,
This is a great hotel, we were sad to leave. If you want a true rustic feel and you want to truly relax and get away from it all, then this is the place for you.

Jurie and Rene

Top tips for Zanzibar

1. This is Africa and it is allot more rural than places like Mauritius.
2. Go to Nungwi early in your trip, you will probably want to go there again
3. Stone town is quite a long day if you are not into history
4. The spice tour is amazing
5. Safari Blue is an amazing experience
6. Go Dive/Snorkel with Scuba fish it is amazing
7. The Canibal party is a blast

Room Tip: Top tips for Zanzibar 1. This is Africa and it is allot more rural than places like Mauritius. 2...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank JurieEn
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We spent a once in a lifetime holiday at this quiet, private resort. The staff was absolutely amazing, they could not do enough! When we arrived, one room had a faulty aircon. We were immediately upgraded to an upstairs room with a balcony and stunning view of the ocean - at no extra cost!

Our boys are regular scuba divers and were spoilt rotten by the staff at Scubafish. We saw the most amazing marine life and had the opportunity to swim with dolphins - twice in 5 days!

If you appreciate peace and quiet, privacy in an idyllic environment, this is the place to!
Rene

Room Tip: As for a room on the top floor, view to the east.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 18Rene21
Cape Town
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Wow reading the other reviews I think maybe I went to a different hotel or didn't stay long enough. The room I had was the best hotel room I've had in the last five years with the only better one being Azambezi in Victoria Falls. The driver who picked me up at the airport was fantastic giving me a detailed history and explanation about each and every area we drove through. At the hotel I was greeted like royalty by front desk staff and even had the Manager, Carrie awaiting my arrival. The food was good, the barman was superb - I believe not long after my stay he won a bartender competition and was pouched by a top hotel in Dubai. The access to the beach is great. This was a business trip so I was alone but I will definitely be returning with my wife and son . This trip was mid 2012

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Shaun R
Veronica O, Regional Sales Manager at Azanzi Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Shaun
Thanks very much for your review. Really do appreciate you taking the time to do that.

We have made some changes at the hotel since your last stay with us and look forward to getting your feedback on your next visit.

Warm regards

Veronica Otter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matemwe
Zanzibar Retreat Hotel
#2 of 17 in Nungwi
Melia Zanzibar
Melia Zanzibar
#1 of 11 in Kiwengwa

Been to Azanzi Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!