The rooms, food and setting were excellent- I will echo another reviewers comment that available photos haven't done justice to this resort. On that note I came across a photographer during my stay hired by Asilia to presumably improve on this.
Will briefly relate an anecdote from my trip which has greatly influenced my impression of this resort. I was travelling from Serengeti to Zanzibar via plane with stopover in Arusha. My flight number was cancelled, had to transfer airports to Kilimanjaro, new flight delayed many many hours meaning my 3pm arrival didn't happen until after midnight which would violate the one piece of consistent advice I'd been given prior to coming to Africa- don't drive at night.
Managed to get WiFi for just long enough to contact Asilia's booking agent to notify them of my delay but then it stopped working.
When I arrived at the Zanzibar airport (8+ hours late) the driver from Island Transport was there waiting despite not knowing my flight number/delay and when I arrived at the Lodge was greeted by no fewer than 6 employees that got me settled. Most incredibly they insisted that I eat dinner knowing I was stuck in an airport for the previous 11 hours- and promptly sat me down for a 3 course meal despite the restaurant having closed for the last meal over 3 hours prior.
Everything else was truly fantastic as others will relay but am extremely grateful for the hospitality provided to me at the end of a horrible travelling day. Thank you all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vibrant yet relaxed Matemwe, one of the first lodges in Zanzibar, has perfected the tropical island experience. Perched on an outcrop overlooking a shallow coral fringed lagoon on the quieter northeast coast of Zanzibar, Matemwe’s peaceful location and famed relaxed atmosphere, makes it the ideal place to unwind. Guests quickly ease into the laid-back rhythm of island life, planning their day around the tides and their mood. The relaxed daily routines of Matemwe’s guests include enjoying fresh seafood, poolside cocktails, massages or simply hanging out in a hammock. The lodge has plenty on offer for the more active with superb diving and snorkeling off the renowned Mnembe Atoll; a highlight for many. Built from local materials and surrounded by beautiful lush gardens, each of the 12 spacious suites has a private veranda with a hammock and sofa and expansive views of the Indian Ocean with its constantly changing hues of blue. Here you can watch the fishermen head out every morning at dawn or listen to the songs of the village women as they harvest seaweed. The large bathrooms have both a deep bathtub and walk-in shower and all beds are enclosed by mosquito nets. The open-air restaurant sits just above the sea and has a tranquil lounge area with beautiful views of the palm fringed beach and gently rocking dhows. Seafood is the specialty of the house, with all produce bought daily from the local markets. Lunch is a buffet offering a delicious mix of African and European flavours. Dinner offers a choice of main courses with fish, meat and vegetarian options. Matemwe has a multi-level swimming pool surrounded with lounge chairs overlooking the ocean. Freshly mixed cocktails are served at the poolside bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Jovago.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Matemwe Lodge, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Main Lodge, Asilia Africa Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Bungalows
- Matemwe Lodge, Asilia Africa Zanzibar Island