We went to Matemwe at the tail end of a safari in Tanzania. It was one of a number of Asilia properties we stayed in and we were not disappointed.
The bungalows are incredibly spacious, nicely decorated and the bathroom is fantastic. My only criticism is that if you choose to sleep on the upper level, it can get a little hot and uncomfortable.
Other than that, we loved the location of the lodge, the incredible views and the lovely meals. We relaxed by the pool (it is smaller than you may expect but perfectly fine), drank at the bar during happy hour, indulged in a massage (fantastic), went walking on the beach, snoozed on the day beds on the verandah of our bungalow, took a dip in the Indian Ocean, took a day trip to Stone Town and generally spent the few days we were there relaxing and enjoying the down time. This was such a pleasurable experience and I would recommend it highly!
And the free wi-fi was a welcome addition.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vibrant yet relaxed Matemwe, one of the first lodges in Zanzibar, has perfected the tropical island experience. Perched on an outcrop overlooking a shallow coral fringed lagoon on the quieter northeast coast of Zanzibar, Matemwe’s peaceful location and famed relaxed atmosphere, makes it the ideal place to unwind. Guests quickly ease into the laid-back rhythm of island life, planning their day around the tides and their mood. The relaxed daily routines of Matemwe’s guests include enjoying fresh seafood, poolside cocktails, massages or simply hanging out in a hammock. The lodge has plenty on offer for the more active with superb diving and snorkeling off the renowned Mnembe Atoll; a highlight for many. Built from local materials and surrounded by beautiful lush gardens, each of the 12 spacious suites has a private veranda with a hammock and sofa and expansive views of the Indian Ocean with its constantly changing hues of blue. Here you can watch the fishermen head out every morning at dawn or listen to the songs of the village women as they harvest seaweed. The large bathrooms have both a deep bathtub and walk-in shower and all beds are enclosed by mosquito nets. The open-air restaurant sits just above the sea and has a tranquil lounge area with beautiful views of the palm fringed beach and gently rocking dhows. Seafood is the specialty of the house, with all produce bought daily from the local markets. Lunch is a buffet offering a delicious mix of African and European flavours. Dinner offers a choice of main courses with fish, meat and vegetarian options. Matemwe has a multi-level swimming pool surrounded with lounge chairs overlooking the ocean. Freshly mixed cocktails are served at the poolside bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Matemwe Lodge, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Main Lodge, Asilia Africa Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Bungalows
- Matemwe Lodge, Asilia Africa Zanzibar Island