We recently spent a week of our honeymoon at the Matemwe Retreat. I could not be happier with the choice of staying at the Matemwe Retreat. The staff - whether it's the management, the servers in the dining room, the bartenders, the spa, or the housekeeping - all were extremely professional - and knew our names on day 1. The food was excellent - better than any meal we had eaten during our 3 weeks in Africa. The property itself is beautiful and serene. The beach is not meant for swimming - and that was ok for us - we were much more interested in the views, the people, the charm - and we ended up taking a driver to a nice swimming beach for a 1/2 day. Glad we stayed in a quiet place instead of the tourist traps of the main beaches of Zanzibar. The only downside/constructive feedback i would give to Matemwe Retreat is to fix the roads leading into the resort - team up with the other resorts in Matemwe and pave or gravel the road. The daily 25 minutes on the short 3-4 km could easily be fixed (and not wait for the local gov't to do so).
Regardless, we will recommend the Matemwe to all our friends that plan to visit Zanzibar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy your own private tropical escape at Matemwe Retreat. The four elegant villas that make up the retreat are set high in the palm trees with uninterrupted Indian Ocean views. With its secluded location and dedicated private butler, the retreat is considered one of the most exclusive choices of accommodation on Zanzibar Island. If you are looking for pure escapism, these villas - which combine the spirit of Zanzibar with the highest standards of comfort - were designed for you. The private plunge pool, personal bar and spacious roof terrace with day bed and loungers are so appealing that we would not blame you if you relaxed in your hidden sanctuary for your entire holiday. Echoing the white sand beaches and the changing turquoise hues of the tropical waters, the fully air-conditioned Matemwe Retreat villas are a reflection of their tranquil island surroundings, filled with locally produced materials and furnishings. The ground floor of each villa features a private bar area, cool and airy double bedroom with king-sized bed and en-suite bathroom with double basins, shower and a sunken bathtub with impressive views of the sparkling ocean. Outdoors, impressively comfortable and very private lounge areas invite you to make the most of the tropical climate.The rooftop deck with sparkling blue plunge pool offers panoramic Indian Ocean views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Jovago.com, Ebookers and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa Zanzibar Island