“Fantastic place to visit”

Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My wife and I decided on Matemwe retreat for our honeymoon. Upon arrival we were met by Martin, our butler, who took us through to our villa Nuru. The place is amazing and was certainly everything we had hoped for. Everything and anything is catered for and Martin went out of his way to ensure that we had the most memorable honeymoon. We will certainly be back next year as matemwe just allows you to get away from everything and relax. Thanks to all the staff that made our honeymoon unforgettable and especially Martin for an unbelievable experience.

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We recently spent a week of our honeymoon at the Matemwe Retreat. I could not be happier with the choice of staying at the Matemwe Retreat. The staff - whether it's the management, the servers in the dining room, the bartenders, the spa, or the housekeeping - all were extremely professional - and knew our names on day 1. The food was excellent - better than any meal we had eaten during our 3 weeks in Africa. The property itself is beautiful and serene. The beach is not meant for swimming - and that was ok for us - we were much more interested in the views, the people, the charm - and we ended up taking a driver to a nice swimming beach for a 1/2 day. Glad we stayed in a quiet place instead of the tourist traps of the main beaches of Zanzibar. The only downside/constructive feedback i would give to Matemwe Retreat is to fix the roads leading into the resort - team up with the other resorts in Matemwe and pave or gravel the road. The daily 25 minutes on the short 3-4 km could easily be fixed (and not wait for the local gov't to do so).

Regardless, we will recommend the Matemwe to all our friends that plan to visit Zanzibar.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This place is everything it says on the tin and more. We stayed in the Retreat - our own villa, not overlooked, plunge pool and sunbathing on the flat roof with long sofa seating in the shade and bedroom, bathroom, outside verandah on ground level. Views of the ocean and the fishermen and palm trees - bliss. We had our own 'butler' George who was brilliant - very personal, tailored attention - comes when you want something or meal times and stays away when you don't! The whole team are very friendly and although we only met other guests on the BBQ night when we went down to the lodge for dinner - everyone seemed mellow and relaxed. We stayed four nights - and will definitely return. The Spa is stupendous - the messages are to die for if you like it strong to relive the tension of two weeks safari- ing

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 535alisonb
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Beside the standard bungalows you can book one out of four villas. These have a plunge pool on the roof and there is a separate cook for the four villas plus a personal butler for each Villa.
Our butlers name was Ndaki and I only can highly recommend to ask for him. He made our stay exceptionel, arranged the impossible, was very attentive and stocked each time our favorite drinks.
While I would not recommend the kitchen in the main hotel, our cook was cooking to perfection and special wishes were never a problem.
Its a dream place for a couple looking over the Indian ocean. A limitation is the beach which is not well maintained by the hotel and full of sea urgens. Otherwise a perfect place....

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My amazing partner surprised me with this booking as he organised everything. I must say I was slightly apprehensive this time around as I had never been to that side of the peninsular before. As we embarked on the journey there was lack of proper directions for those driving to the retreat. So we had to ask around the Matemwe village a good few times before getting there. After a bumpy ride through what felt like a never ending dirt road by the time we got there we were extremely tired and not very pleased. However, This phase literally melted away as soon as we were greeted with a drink and cold wet towel and shown to our villa SAFINA. We were completely blown away especially me as I did not know what to expect. SAFINA has spectacular panoramic views, it's spacious, super clean. relaxing and the sounds of the waves bashing near by made it all seem like an absolute paradise.

The retreat is organised in such a way that you felt like you were the only guests around. The privacy feeling was out of this world. When in our villa we felt like the only two people in the entire existence until we made our way to main restaurant and pool that's when we met other guest. The bar man Rashid was lovely and chatty which was nice.

Our private battler GEORGE is the man for you if ever you decide to embark on this epic journey. George was beyond professional,calm, he facilitated everything, he was patient and relaxed (especially having to deal with two undecided playful people who could hardly decide what they wanted for dinner and occasionally changed their minds on certain things). He worked around us and the villa was immaculate clean for every second of our stay. George was always available and what felt like seconds away whenever we needed him. During my stay I had to dash to Dar es Salam for a quick business meeting George organised everything even the last minute ironing of my dress which silly me had completely forgotten about. On my return I was greeted with a cold drink and a delicious lunch. Most of all George was always smiling this made us relaxed and comfortable as there is nothing better than a service with a smile, oldest trick in the book but works like magic every time.

My partner and I loved our stay and we would definitely go back in the near future.

Room Tip: "Villas on the north-side side are have amazing sound of the waves bashing"
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2013

You know how you read reviews and think when is the"but" coming. Well here you would be waiting a long time. Just NO buts !
Location and view to die for. The lodge is as wonderful as it looks with picture perfect views. After 3 safari camps and you need a rest just GO here. Yes the tide goes out so you can't swim !,, it does everywhere for heavens sake. But you have your own plunge pool and will be asleep anyway. If you like relaxing to the extreme in great comfort book it now.
Staff fantastic, my wife wants a butler at home now so cheers Martin. you were great my friend and good luck for the wedding. Go for a sail, have a sleep, have some food and then another sleep and if you need anything just ask Martin.
FANTASTIC

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve H
Reviewed 29 August 2013

What an amazing place this was! My husband and I stayed here for 7 nights on the final stop of our honeymoon. It was really difficult choosing a place to stay in Zanzibar as there seem to be so many options, but boy oh boy am I glad we chose Matemwe Retreat.

After a bumpy ride down a dodgy looking dirt road through Matemwe Village we arrived at Matemwe Retreat and we were welcomed by Abdi, our butler with a cold towel and drink. From that moment on our stay was amazing! Abdi was great and did everything (booking activities, drinks, food, advice etc etc etc etc) he could to make our stay enjoyable.

We stayed in Zam Zam and the villas are fantastic, very spacious and the views of the ocean are to die for. The pool on the rooftop was the best bit and we loved that we didn't have to leave our villa at all if we didn't want to.

The food is amazing and I think we had seafood for every meal. This is caught by the local villagers and bought by the hotel and it is always superb. We dined on a few occasions at the main hotel when they had Swahili night and a BBQ. Both were excellent! The cocktail of the day also went down very well:-)

In terms of activities, there is a fairly wide choice. We choose to do snorkelling, the guided reef walk (both provided by the hotel) and diving. All are fantastic and there is loads to sea out there in the ocean! We also had an amazing 3 hour massage pamper session, which was excellent. I don't think I've ever felt so relaxed.

All in all, there are not enough superlatives to describe this place. I was very sad to leave this little piece of paradise and I would recommend it in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NatSt0ne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matemwe
Melia Zanzibar
#2 of 6 in Matemwe
Zawadi Hotel Zanzibar
Matemwe Lodge, Asilia Africa
Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa

Been to Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa? Share your experiences!