“Melia Zanzibar - A Trip of a Lifetime!!!”
Review of Melia Zanzibar

Melia Zanzibar
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Kiwengwa
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Melia Zanzibar - A Trip of a Lifetime!!!”
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I have stayed at Melia Zanzibar twice in a span of 3 months. The first time I went was in October 2011 when it just opened. I needed a break from the day-to-day chaos of life and knew there was no better place but Melia Zanzibar. The property is amazing and the service is phenomenal. It took less than 24 hours for all staff I was associating with to know me by my name. I was welcomed by all staff with a smile and was always given the best service when I needed any assistance.

The property in itself is so large and has so many different things to do that no area feels over populated. You are able to find space for yourself and can be comfortable. Gabi Beach is a spectacular luxury beach club that is definitely the place you want to be when the sun is setting (by the ocean with a cocktail). The restaurant options include, Spices, serving an array of international cuisine which was always tasteful; Aqua restaurant was my personal favorite, if you want to titillate your taste buds with amazing flavors this is the place to be. Offering an a la carte menu, Aqua has some great Mediterranean flavors. The jetty bar and lounge has snacks like tapas and some great sushi.

The pool (Wow!) is amazing. On a cliff … the view from the pool is the endless ocean and palm trees. This is where you can actually appreciate the sound of silence. The Jetty has an option of going into the ocean as well. The warm Indian Ocean is great!

After an amazing day relaxing outdoors the Anantara Spa is a great place to spend the evening before dinner. I recommend that you try out the Thai massage. Even though I was not able to grab one the first time I went to Melia, I made it a point to take some time out the second time to relax at the spa.

The rooms are amazing! I am going to start with the large bathroom that includes a tropical rain shower and an indoor shower. The terrace and ocean view from room is calming, giving you the true appreciation of nature.

I picked Melia so I can rest and relax. When you feel the need to get away from the chaos of daily routine, Melia is the place to be. It gives you the homely feeling with all the services needed.

If you need a break you should definitely go to Melia Zanzibar. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Ayesha S
Jose_Carlos_Hidalgo, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Ayesha S;

Thank you very much for your comments it is a pleasure for us to count with your confidence and loyalty to Melia and Melia Zanzibar. As you said we are very focused on the details, and our pool is breathtaking what we call a “Wow moment”

We are looking forward to receive you again, and we are sure it will be soon.

Regards from all the team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
DAR ES SALAAM
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Just returned back to Dar es Salaam after an amazing Business & Holiday trip to Zanzibar.
Stayed at MELIA HOTEL, An amazing, beautiful Hotel one can dream to go.
Was there for 4nights. I never received such care before in any Hotel I hv ever visited before.
The management is soo nice, was almost like a dream Home to me.
The beautiful beach GABI Beach that hosted a beautiful beach party. Never had such a blast.
I fell in love with Melia Hotel & GABI BEACH.
I miss everyone already & friends from MELIA.
I wont take too long buddies. See you in a few weeks again.

VIDA MAHIMBO.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Vida M
Jose_Carlos_Hidalgo, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Dear Vida,
We celebrate to read your words. To us it is a great honour that you chose us for your well deserved get-aways from Dar es Salaam. We are very happy that you feel home because for us you are one more of the family of Melia Zanzibar. See you soon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I stayed at Melia when they just opened in October 2011 and had a wonderful time. This is a truly 5-star property; the staff was extremely welcoming and friendly, always smiling and going the extra mile to help. When I checked in, there were 4 or 5 people helping me out, taking my bags, offering welcome drinks, etc.... When I got to my room, the staff spent a few minutes showing me everything in the room, etc...

My room was very spacious with a lot of closet space and the bathroom area was just great with 2 showers (one indoor, one outdoor), flowers on the bathtub and a his and her sink... a couple would not have a reason to fight over who showers first, etc...

The beach area is very well done, with chaises longues and little private cabins. The only thing is that it's on the East Coast where there is low tide all morning to early afternoon, so swimming is not possible till later in the day. However, at low tide, you can explore the bottom of the ocean and there is so much to see, amazing star fish, seashells and other treasures.

The food was amazing; many restaurants and different food options and themes every night. Being at a beach reasort, seafood was fresh and plentiful but you can't help trying he meat and chicken which were always cooked to perfection with the most flavourful spices and marinate. Desserts were astounding; and the baked good seemed like they were just made in the best patisserie in Paris - the croissant was just as crispy as it should. The best surprise was when I ordered the Tuna Wrap at the Pool Bar.... it came with fresh tuna steak, cooked to perfection, quite moist and flavourful... heavenly!

Service was outstanding..... Throughout my stay, the staff was always present, but not intrusive, always helpful and smiling. They also had a turn-down service where they left a different type of goodie everynight; the coconut square was my favorite.

As for the spa..... amazing treatments and services; I managed 2 treatments in my 3-day stay.

I picked Melia so I can rest and relax after climbing Kilimanjaro and a safari and they delivered - I loved my short stay at Melia; if it were any closer to London, I would go there for short breaks regularly.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank A1972
Dear A1972,
Thank you very much for your high words, comments like yours show us that we are in the right line and strive us to keep the good work. Our Chefs and Spa therapists and Front office staff are very happy and flattered. We are very much looking forward to receive you again
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We were among the first dozen guests at the Melia Zanzibar, staying within the first two weeks of its opening. It is a beautifully designed resort, although we could not avail all the facilities due to heavy rains for most of our stay. The private beach is a nice touch! The restaurants (not all of which has opened by the time of our stay) are amazing - especially the Jetty sticking out into the ocean, which was a meal experience I will never forget. I wish the cuisine offered more local fare instead of focusing entirely on European cuisine. The only other part I did not like was being forced to use wired Internet in the rooms due to no wireless Internet network (but I guess that may be part of the plan to force guests to take a "vacation"!).

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank arpanator
Dear Arpanator,
We are very pleased that you selected our Hotel for your stay in Zanzibar when we had just inaugurated. Thank you very much for your comments about the beach, and our restaurants. We have already opened them all, and we will be very happy to welcome you again and indulge with the delicacies of our Local and international cuisine.
Paris
Reviewed 7 November 2011

What a place ! The hotel had just opened when we were there (October 2011), and we spent our last 48 hours of our honey moon ! It was really excellent. For sure, the place is beautiful all over Zanzibar, but you will have with Melia a service and a special care that you won't find everywhere ! I wish I could go again, with have a rainy winter in Paris now... :-(
Thank you again to the all team ! Hope we'll meet again !

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Matthieu C
Dear Mathieu

We are very happy that you chose us for your Hooneymoon. As you know you were one of our first guests, when we had just opened the Hotel, so it is very special for us to hear your nice comments about us. We are very much looking forward to welcome you here

Best regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiwengwa
Dream of Zanzibar
#2 of 169 in Zanzibar Island
The Residence Zanzibar
The Residence Zanzibar
#1 of 5 in Kizimkazi
Zanzibar White Sand Luxury Villas & Spa (Relais & Chateaux)

Been to Melia Zanzibar? Share your experiences!