“Fabulous hotel and views”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Melia Zanzibar

Melia Zanzibar
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Kiwengwa
Cardiff
“Fabulous hotel and views”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We booked to stay for ten days after going on safari in Kenya! Just what we needed, our room was amazing! We absolutely loved the bathroom and the outdoor shower! The bed was very comfortable and spacious!

The hotel and our room were always kept very clean and tidy and we especially liked the flowers being put around the bath and sinks!

The pool was lovely with a beautiful view of the sea, the pool staff were friendly and attentive, checking that everything was ok for us regularly.

The food was great - a great variety with the buffet and it changed most days which was really good. We especially loved the indian and bbq night! Food was delicious on these nights!

We really enjoyed the masaai dance show and was lucky to see it twice as we were there for ten days,although we think a little bit more of evening entertainment in the spice restaurant would of improved our evenings and made it much more fun and entertaining.

We didn't stay all inclusive but were pleasantly surprised at the end of our stay that our bill was not as much as we thought it would be for a ten day stay! Brilliant.

Fantastic place to stay, the staff are very warm and welcoming. We would definately stay at Melia if we ever return to Zanzibar!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom B
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear Tom B
We are delighted with your words and with fact that we try the best to make your holiday memorable, all Staff at Melia Zanzibar works very hard to make sure you satisfied with our Service.
Thank you very much for choosing us, and taking your time to write a review about us , Surely Many other people will read them and Choose Melia Zanzibar .
It was a pleasure for having you at Melia Zanzibar and we hope to see you again
Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 11 August 2012

SUMMARY
Highly recommended and well-managed resort, but remote location makes full board (FB) or all-inclusive (AI) a must, unless you have your own vehicle

ROOMS 9/10
We were given a huge room with a gigantic bathroom and full sea view despite having booked the cheapest category (probably seasonal reasons). Wow!
Mattresses were good and the bed was spacious, however the wooden bar at the end of the bed will probably annoy everyone over 6'2" (1,88m). I asked for an extra mattress to raise the sleeping height over the bar and it was delivered instantly and solved the problem well.
The room also had all amenities you expect in a room in a hotel of this category - safe, large DSTV, blowdryer etc. The only two things that were not ideal were (1) the lack of wireless internet in the rooms (there is a LAN cable though, but we couldn't use that on our mobile Apple devices) and (2) the thin doors, which basically provided no sound protection - so we could clearly hear every word that was spoken by people passing our room when lying in our bed and even the fun our opposite neighbors had in theirs... not a big issue though since due to the limited amount of rooms in each of the scattered buildings almost nobody ever gets close to you. If the hotel were to hang a thick curtain into the passageway between door and bed, the sound problem could easily be solved.

LOCATION 6/10
Most of the hotel overlooks a steep cliff (beautiful view though), beach access is only possible with a (free) 10-minute golf cart ride, but you may have to wait a bit until you can go. The tides are extreme, but allow for an interesting walk through the mudflats during parts of the day. There is no easily accessible reef but apparently good conditions for kitesurfing (resident instructor). Also, there are no public restaurants or supermarkets nearby and the hotel's food and drinks are rather pricy, so booking at least half board (better FB or AI) is highly recommended. Several - expensive - excursions can be arranged through the hotel, but you'll be easily able to save up to 50% or more by negotiating a trip with one of the freelance cab drivers that hang out in front of the main entrance.

FOOD & SERVICE 10/10
There are several restaurants, with full-board meals being served in the main one (buffet-style). All-inclusive (and probably also FB) customers can also have lunch on the beach or at the pool restaurants and tapas on the jetty at night. Food quality is excellent and buffet themes vary daily. Most members of the hotel staff were exceptionally friendly, but some not too efficient and fast - but this is Africa. The Spanish/German management team is doing a great job.

AMENITIES 9/10
A great but overpriced Spa (excellent Thai massage), two pools (one lap pool and one infinity pool), a well-equipped gym, an internet corner (mostly with a slow connection and regular freezes though), tennis courts, a volleyball net, one ping-pong table and a scuba diving center in the making - there are lots of possibilities to fill your day. However, scheduled group activities like beach volleyball or morning yoga are missing and would also make great opportunities to meet other guests.

2 Thank nik0lask
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Nikolas K

On behalf of Melia Zanzibar, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent holiday in Tanzania, and besides for taking your precious time to share your views with us through Trip Advisor.
We are overwhelmed to hear that you loved and were impressed by the views all over the property. We always strive to provide to keep the environment a better place and provide best services to all of our guests.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused with regards to your room. We have truly taken this constructive comment seriously and we will work on that to avoid any inconveniences in future.
Concerning your comments on “scheduled group activities like beach volleyball, or morning yoga are missing and would also make great opportunities to meet other guests” This is very true, we have already looked into this matter in order to ensure that the different activities will be provided to all guests and have a wider choice at all times.

I would also like to apologize that you couldn’t use LAN cable on your mobile Apple devices. We don’t have WiFi at the moment but it is already in our plan to have WiFi services in future, of which all of our guests will have options.. The installation is expected to be completed very soon and the service will be available.
We are very delighted on your positive comments on food and services as well as SPA. We will carry these along with us as a motivation and step tools to go beyond our guests expectations.
I wish to see welcome you again in the near future.

With Best Regards

Guest Expirience Assistant Manager- Melia Zanzibar
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Very nice hotel, but a little "stayed". I one is looking for quite luxury this is the right place; the grounds and view are fantastic. Just don't expect superb food or much action. Several nights a week they have a live band which is a little fun. Unfortunately, the restaurant staff, though they try aren't quite up an "attentive" standard except when they want take your plate; actually they could give one a minutes before attacking you with an "are you finished" inquiry.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Guest

On behalf of Melia Zanzibar I would like to thank you for taking your precious time sending us your comments and suggestions about our services during your stay.
We value your comments much and will be use used to improve our services and make sure our customers’ expectations are met. I also send my gratitude thanks for choosing our hotel to be your holiday experience. Our main mission is to provide the best services and make our guests holiday a memorable one.
It is very unfortunate that you didn’t like our food and the actions were not to your satisfaction. I do apologize for that but also would like to let you know that we are working very hard giving intense training to our staff. I am sure on your next visit we will be able to impress you and reach your expectations.
Once again thank you for outlining your concerns of which we are taking them seriously to better our services. We would be pleased to welcome you back as we trust would be a much more successful and enjoyable stay.

Guest Expirience Assistant - Manager - Melia Zanzibar
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We recently held a conference at Hotel Melia in Zanzibar - spending 10 days in total at the resort - and we cannot say enough to both thank and commend the staff for their excellent service, hospitality and value in making our trip both enjoyable and successful. The team went out of their way to ensure we were well looked after as well as trying to add value wherever possible to make our functions and events special. Thank you Hotel Melia!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear David

Thank you very much for your comments it is a pleasure for us to count with your confidence and loyalty to Melia Zanzibar. As you said we are very focused on the details, and our team works very hard and strives to go beyond the expectations of customers and we feel very proud to see results.

Thank you very much for your words and the great review you make of our hotel and we hope to see you again in the near future.
You are the journey!

Guest Expirience Assistant Manager- Melia Zanzibar
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Me and my partner had a great experience at Melia, Zanzibar. I have two criticism of the hotel: 1) the entertainment: I was hoping they would have provided more local, African type of entertainment, instead we often felt like we were in some hotel in New Jersey (No insult to New Jersey) with the local lounge musician. I wanted to get away from America, not feel like I was right back in it. and 2) The second criticism is about the quality of the food. The buffet style food was often VERY salty. We enjoyed the food they made for us on the spot, which we could ask to not salt. Otherwise it was often not edible. Which was unfortunate. Ended up eating a lot of rice!

Room Tip: Room with view of the ocean were spectacular
1 Thank vanessa l
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear guest,

we would like to thank you very much that you have taken the time to share with us their impressions.

We are always trying to exceed the expectations of our guests and take each comment or even criticism very seriously, in order to improve our service qualities.
All the information will be processed and then in daily meetings in the department, in order to ensure that our guests feel they are deserved. In addition, we also have our Guest Experience Team that staending is accessible for you.

Your opinion is very important to us and we thank You that you share them with us. We apologize that you had seperate page and we were very pleased to welcome you again soon in the Melia Zanzibar to hot.

Karibu Tena

your Melia Zanzibar Team
Vienna
Reviewed 29 July 2012

First I would like to say that I really put a lot of thought in the rating of this property, but in the end I decided to go with two points only

Why?

At first, the Melia Zanzibar seems to be a piece of paradise. The gardens are wonderful and the beach is stunning, but this is where it ends. I would like to write about a couple of experiences at the Melia Zanzibar so that you can judge for yourself:

Before we arrived, we had arranged an aiport pick-up. Unfortunately our flight to Zanzibar got cancelled so we where rebooked on another flight arriving 40 minutes later. I immediately informed the hotel and they promised that everything was OK and that we will be picked-up.

Upon arrival, no one was there. I called the hotel and they said that I had not booked an aiport transfer with them but with my travel agent, which was complete nonsense. The receptionist also promised that she would call me back in 5 minutes. Of course, she didn't and after 15 minutes I called. She then told me that the driver was already on his way.

We waited in the heat outside the aiport for about 30 minutes when I called again, she assured me that the driver would be there in a couple of minutes. We waited 20 more minutes until the driver finally arrived --- this was a very bad start.

At the reception, I mentioned that I was not very satisfied about the airport pick-up which was a whopping 95$ -- half of the price was appropriate in my opinion. They gave me a discount of 15$ which was ridicoulous but I had no energy to argue with them.

We had booked a seafront suite and upon arrival at our room I was pretty suprised because it was a standard room facing the street/garden and definitely not a suite. I called the front desk and after some confusion they pretty much said that they put me in the wrong room and did not know that I had booked a suite, well, after 1 hour or so waiting in our wrong room we where finally transfered to the correct one. Funny fact: they tried to sell us a "Premium" All-Inclusive package at check-in when it was included in our suite rate --- not very professional and I only discovered this upon studying an information package in our room. Of course the front desk said that we would immediately receive our new "Premium" All-Inclusive wristbands.

This brings me to another thing: as All-Inclusive guest, you receive some kind of wristband. I have stayed in other 5-star All-Inclusive hotels and in most of them there was no need for such a thing. Anyways, what I did not understand was that even though we had the wristband, each and every time I ordered something, I had to give them my room number and sign a check, pretty annonying.

Service at dinner and at the other restaurants/cafes was very slow and not attentive. One example: at the poolbar I asked the waiter which kind of ice cream they were offering (after he told me that they were out of the remaining 2 other items on the dessert menu). I am not kidding it took him 15 minutes to tell me that they had....drum rolls.....chocolate and vanilla.

Breakfast was OK but I was expecting that they would be offering many exotic fruits since Zanzibar is a lush island full of vegetation, but they only offered some basic fruits. They even had canned fruits (which I do not understand at all!)

Since one of the benefits of "Premium" All-Inclusive was dinner at the a-la-carte restaurant, we decided to eat there one night. We had to book that in advance and we were told (pretty firmly) that there is a strict dresscode. OK with me.
When we got there, many other guests where there since they decided to close the main restaurant that evening. Lots of people were wearing bathing shorts and bathing shoes...it was ridiculous. We waited 40 minutes for our main course and when I voiced my criticism the manager pretty much ignored it.

Finally, on our last day at check-out, the receptionist could not add my Melia Mas number to my booking. He promised to take care of it later....until this day (two months after the stay) the points are still not in my account even after a follow-up email two weeks ago, pretty bad service. Our transfer to the airport was not in the hotel car but in some local Taxi, the driver was smelling pretty badly and I thought that this was a real joke (given the price tag of 95$)

Would I go back? Not until there is a significant change in the quality of service. The bad service really spoiled our otherwise fantastic holiday in Tansania.

One last advice: the "Premium" All-Inclusive is not worth the additional money at all!

Room Tip: Seafront room was amazing
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank luru
Dear Luru

First of all, we are taking this opportunity to extend our sincere gratitude to you for selecting Melia Zanzibar as your preferred hotel for your recent holiday in Tanzania. On behalf of Melia Zanzibar team I truly appreciate your honest and constructive feedback to our services during your stay. We will take every comment on board to better our services and have a stunning impression to all our guests, as we value their choices coming to our hotel.

I sincerely do apologize for the stressful situation that you encountered upon arrival and due to any inconveniences caused. When you checked in we had to send you to our garden room since we did not want you keep waiting for long at the reception as we were preparing the best room (Suite), which we later sent you to.

For the transfers from the airport to hotel, we only charged you $80 instead of $90 considering waiting time before our driver arrived at the airport. We did not charge the transfer from the hotel to airport as you organized by yourself.

We are very sorry if the concept of all inclusive did not satisfy your expectations, we are a resort with different meal plans; All inclusive and All inclusive Premium but none of these clients is basic for us, apart from these plans we also offer several other options like Aqua Restaurant in order to give more wider choices and make our guests’ more comfortable. As for dressing code we normally inform all our guests at the time of reservation to AQUA, of which we appreciate those who follow our procedures. About Mas Card points, I do apologies for the delay, we have followed with our cashier you will surely have in your account soon.

Once again thank you very much for your comments. We really try our best to guarantee that all our customer expectations are met at 100% and exceeded. We take all comments into consideration as a tool to better our services. We truly value you as a very important customer to us regardless of what happened, we will ensure that our team have the right information to provide to everyone who comes to our hotel.
We hope to welcome you again in the near future.
You are the journey!

Guest Expirience Assistant Manager - Melia Zanzibar
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My friends and I booked Melia for the weekend in July to both relax and rejuvenate but also to join the quarterly party taking place at Gabi Beach. We were not disappointed! As usual, the staff welcomed us warmly and by name and took care of our needs throughout the three days we stayed. Having recently visited a few other resorts in Tanzania and elsewhere around the world I can say that the personal service and attention is well beyond any I have seen! The infectious positive spirit displayed by all staff...from the managing director down to the cleaners...inspires complete relaxation. The food was lovely and we particularly liked the lunchtime prawns at Gabi and the sushi on the jetty. The party....what can I say! It was a blast. Music began at about 4 pm on the beach with the famous Groove Theory DJs (from Dar es Salaam) and mixed it up with French Kiss productions...and a few visiting DJs as well got the whole beach dancing. Not quite Ibiza (yet) but getting close and really pulled a nice crowd - mix of Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar residents, tourists and expatriates. The event was more than a party...it was a great experience. Met lots of interesting people doing interesting things. We shall definitely be back! Thank you Marco, Cesar, Ramon and the rest of the team!!

Room Tip: If you can manage to book the villas overlooking the water you won't be disappointed! They are a...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
John E, at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear Army1967

With a great pleasure I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to you for selecting Melia Zanzibar as your preferred hotel on your recent holiday in Tanzania. We are overwhelmed and pampered by your positive and outstanding comments, of which we carry them all the way through to make a step further.
Our main goal has always been to reach and exceed the expectations of our guests by impressing them and make a land mark in their holiday which creates unforgettable experiences during their relaxing time while on holiday.
When you think of your next holiday, please think of MELIA ZANZIBAR. We remain at your entire disposal at all times and we hope to welcome you again.

Best Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiwengwa
Zanzi Resort
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
Next Paradise Boutique Resort
#1 of 6 in Pwani Mchangani

Been to Melia Zanzibar? Share your experiences!