“Amazing location, beaches but bad service and issue in rooms”
Review of Melia Zanzibar

Melia Zanzibar
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Kiwengwa
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have stayed in Melia Zanzibar for 5 nights in Dec 2013. The resort is in very good location and food options are very nice. The rooms look very nice. Gabi beach is very nice, which is 1.5 KM from hotel and Melia drives you there in golf cars. Beach is really rich and beautiful.

I have taken all-inclusive package. However, it is not all-inclusive as it says. It has something like “premium all-inclusive”. In my all-inclusive package they mentioned that they fill my minibar on arrival. They filled with 3 soft drink bottles, 1 soda and 1 water bottle. I have never seen such a simple mini bar. Many drinks are not included in all-inclusive package. I feel, this is not a standard in hotel’s world to have all-inclusive like this. Also you will not know about premium all-inclusive until you go there or check Melia website. You need to sign the bills every time to order a drink and food , even with all-inclusive hand band. This is sometimes irritating.

Air Conditioner(AC) stopped working two times. Second time, the entire room was filled with burning smell. When I called reception, they did not show any urgency to fix it. The showers do not work well. I had to hold a pin to get the top shower working, called them to fix it. They fixed but the same issue happened. That pin is so hard, girls cannot even pull it. When we take shower, water gets accumulated near the toilet seat( due to some leakage). This was reported 3 times and was not successfully resolved until we leave. We booked airport drop 1 day before and someone called to our room at 11PM and wake us up to confirm the details.

Overall, I have a mixed feeling of my stay at Melia Zanzibar. Location, food and beach are very good. I want to forget all the glitches. However, it troubled us a lot. Staffs seem to follow all the rules of the hotel strictly and cannot even extend the checkout time for 30 minutes also on the last day. I have seen the attitude of not trying to keep the guests in the centre is missing at Melia. I have stayed in many other places which are very flexible to modify things for guests.

Room Tip: Take rooms close to reception. Helps to travel to beach in golf cars. Don't think that, all-inc...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vinod929
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you very much that you have taken the time to share your experience at Melia Zanzibar. We appreciate you so much for choosing our hotel as your recent holiday destination.

Our mission has always been to exceed the expectations of our guests and we take each comment or even criticism very seriously, in order to improve our service.

We have noted your comments of which we apologize for the shortfalls. Please rest be assured that all mentioned points be taken care in order to avoid future occurrences. In addition to that, we have our Guest Experience Team that standing by always to assist whenever our guests encounter any problems.

Your opinion is very important to us and we thank you that you pointed them out for us. We apologize that you had separate page experience during your stay.
At your disposal we remain to welcome you again soon in the near future.

Asante Sana!

Melia Zanzibar Team

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Staying at the Meila Zanzibar was a real treat for us. The staff were incredibly helpful and welcoming. The accommodation was excellent and the meals and refreshment of the highest standard. A big thank you to all.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for sharing these very nice comments and impressions regarding your recent stay at Melia Zanzibar. We are delighted you really appreciated the quality of service provided by all our Ambassadors.

I have taken the liberty to share your review with my team which is a tool we carry along.
I am glad we are your “hotel of choice” and wishing to welcome you back very soon.

Yours in Hospitality

Reviewed 17 December 2013

First time to Zanzibar. A relax holiday. Enjoying the sun, the pool, reading books, drinks, food.
I admit that my first impression of the room was a bit disappointing. The airco makes a lot of noise and the some of the things need to be modernized. But I understood from the management during a welcome drink that they are still working very hard to improve the hotel and bring to a higher level. The staff was very friendly, the food was very good. As well in the main restaurant (spices restaurant)as the Jetty lounge. Dinner, tapas : everything is fresh. The spa is amazing. The massages are recommended!! The swimming pool is very nice and clean. The gym is well equipped. We checked out very early (3 am) and breakfast was foreseen!
All in all a very relaxing holiday with very nice people, an amazing view!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear guest,

we would like to thank you very much that you have taken the time to share with us their impressions.

We are always trying to exceed the expectations of our guests and take each comment or even criticism very seriously, in order to improve our service qualities.

All the information will be processed and then in daily meetings in the department, in order to ensure that our guests feel they are deserved. In addition, we also have our Guest Experience Team that staending is accessible for you.

Your opinion is very important to us and we thank You that you share them with us. We apologize that you had seperate page and we were very pleased to welcome you again soon in the Melia Zanzibar to hot.

Karibu Tena

Your Melia Zanzibar Team

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited Zanzibar for our 10th Anniversary. The hotel exceeded our expectations in terms of service and the friendliness of the staff. The food was amazing. We highly recommend Melia to anyone traveling to Zanzibar and hope to return soon!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent holiday in Zanzibar. We are so very grateful for your loyalty to our property and also to learn that you enjoyed every moment of your stay.

We are very committed to bring excellent services to our guests, and this makes us different in the Island.

We look forward to welcome you again.

Best Regards

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I enjoyed every single day during my stay in Melia. Good hotel, room, area, location, food, service - just everything!!!!! I could not find a single minus here, only one minus - I could not stay longer than planned. Therefore I will be more than happy to come back one day ..... And many thanks to all staff for our good holidays in Melia!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest

It is a great pleasure to extend our sincere gratitude to you for selecting Melia Zanzibar as your preferred hotel for your recent holiday in Zanzibar. We sincerely appreciate your honest and constructive feedback to our services during your stay.

Our goal has been always to reach and exceed the expectation of our guests to impress them and make a land mark in their holiday and create unforgettable experiences during their relaxing time while on holiday.

Thank you very much for your words and the great review you make of our hotel and we hope to see you again.

Best Regards

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Well, me and my friend went to Melia just for spent one day,one night as we are also living in Zanzibar for work. So we decide to choose Melia, for spend our holiday. Check in very late, but the staff very welcome to us. This place is truly stunning. Gorgeous beach, swimming pool huge, food is amazing all is perfect. All the staff including gardener, they are ultra friendly and helpful. Definetely to come back again. Thanks to everyone at Melia. Worth for visit it!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear Guest

Many Regards from Melia Zanzibar!

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful and exciting experience during your stay at Melia Zanzibar. On behalf of the entire team, I certainly appreciate your kind comments and recommendations through Trip Advisor Community. Our main mission is to exceed our guest’s expectations and we are pleased to know you found comfort and enjoyment being in our hotel. We pride ourselves to have made your stay enjoyable and we are delighted to learn that you appreciated our products and all Melia ambassadors around.
I am glad we are your “hotel of choice” and wishing to welcome you back on your next visit.
Sincerely

Reviewed 15 November 2013

It is my third time at Melia Zanzibar and every time I feel perfect.
Good food &beverage department, the private beach (Gabi) is amazing and the service is great.
The place in beautiful and it is a perfect combine between charme and comfort.
I have been in differents kind of rooms and every time, my staying was perfect.
Congratulations to all the managment, mr Marko, mr Cesar, Jose Antonio etc..
You do a great job and honestly , the feeling is that you are always focused on to improve and on to give to the clients a perfect service.
See you soon

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andreaboero
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and the choice coming to Melia Zanzibar. We are so glad you had a pleasant stay with us, and found our products incomparable and satisfactory. I will be passing your comments along to our management team as mentioned, they will be very happy to see you mentioned them. We strive for excellence and exceeding our guests’ expectations is our mission.

We thank you once again for your kind comments, and appreciate your feedback.
Welcome back to Melia Zanzibar!

Kind Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiwengwa
Dream of Zanzibar
#4 of 172 in Zanzibar Island
The Residence Zanzibar
The Residence Zanzibar
#1 of 5 in Kizimkazi
Zanzibar White Sand Luxury Villas & Spa (Relais & Chateaux)

Been to Melia Zanzibar? Share your experiences!