I have stayed in Melia Zanzibar for 5 nights in Dec 2013. The resort is in very good location and food options are very nice. The rooms look very nice. Gabi beach is very nice, which is 1.5 KM from hotel and Melia drives you there in golf cars. Beach is really rich and beautiful.
I have taken all-inclusive package. However, it is not all-inclusive as it says. It has something like “premium all-inclusive”. In my all-inclusive package they mentioned that they fill my minibar on arrival. They filled with 3 soft drink bottles, 1 soda and 1 water bottle. I have never seen such a simple mini bar. Many drinks are not included in all-inclusive package. I feel, this is not a standard in hotel’s world to have all-inclusive like this. Also you will not know about premium all-inclusive until you go there or check Melia website. You need to sign the bills every time to order a drink and food , even with all-inclusive hand band. This is sometimes irritating.
Air Conditioner(AC) stopped working two times. Second time, the entire room was filled with burning smell. When I called reception, they did not show any urgency to fix it. The showers do not work well. I had to hold a pin to get the top shower working, called them to fix it. They fixed but the same issue happened. That pin is so hard, girls cannot even pull it. When we take shower, water gets accumulated near the toilet seat( due to some leakage). This was reported 3 times and was not successfully resolved until we leave. We booked airport drop 1 day before and someone called to our room at 11PM and wake us up to confirm the details.
Overall, I have a mixed feeling of my stay at Melia Zanzibar. Location, food and beach are very good. I want to forget all the glitches. However, it troubled us a lot. Staffs seem to follow all the rules of the hotel strictly and cannot even extend the checkout time for 30 minutes also on the last day. I have seen the attitude of not trying to keep the guests in the centre is missing at Melia. I have stayed in many other places which are very flexible to modify things for guests.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Melia Hotel and Resort is Zanzibar's leading international resort, situated on the north-east coast of the island. Melia Zanzibar is built on a 40 acre estate with a beautiful beach of pearlescent white sand lapped by warm ocean waters, 300 meters long, situated at the very end of the property to procure the perfect combination with nature. The resort is ringed by a natural coral reef, making bathing a relaxing and safe experience. The hotel is the perfect destination for honeymoon or wedding vacations as well as meetings & incentives. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Melia, Jovago.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Melia Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Zanzibar Hotel Kiwengwa
- Zamani Zanzibar Kempinski Kiwengwa
- Melia Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Kiwengwa