“Paradise for food lovers”
Review of Melia Zanzibar

Melia Zanzibar
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Kiwengwa
Antwerp, Belgium
“Paradise for food lovers”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed for 8 days in the hotel through the VIP Selection of Jetair. Checking in was a bit of a hassle as it took them over one hour to allocate a room. From that point onwards, everything went smoothly. There aren't any negative points to be found that might spoil your stay in the hotel, unless you get fussy about the details. Upgrading from the all inclusive to the premium level is not really worth it. Just a pity that the mini bar isn't filled up regularly. On the other hand, lunch and dinner are really fantastic, certainly the best food I ever experienced during my travels in Africa.

Tip: if you are planning to book some tours and travel around Zanzibar, bring some US Dollars cash from home. The nearest ATM is located in Stone Town, an hour drive away and the hotel will charge you a hefty 10% commission if you want to collect money with your credit card.

I definitely recommend this hotel. Would I go back? No, but the only reason is that the percentage of guests from the former communist republics is just too high for my taste.

Room Tip: Block 15 is a 2 minutes walk from the reception and the restaurant and 20 meters away from a pick-up...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Peter D
Sophia O, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post this very friendly review regarding your recent stay at Melia Zanzibar. I have taken the liberty to share your constructive comment with the team which is a huge recognition to us. We aim to extend a warm welcome to all our guests and we are happy to read that you found your stay comfortable and also that you enjoyed our products.

I do apologize on the areas we fell short; especially the hassle you had during your check in as well as that the mini bar was not filled regularly as expected and you also didn’t like upgrade from all inclusive to premium level. I appreciate that you pointed them out; we will surely work on the details to avoid future occurrences.

We remain at your disposal and hoping to attend you again soon.
Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

We were a family of 9 including 3 kids.
It was an experience and vacation we will never forget, from the time we checked in we received excellent service. The accommodation a 5 star rating.
The manager John made us feel most welcome and assisted in every way possible. The food prepared was mwhh, loved it. The beach was clean.
The kids really enjoyed it.
Will recommend this paradise vacation anytime.

T.Collopen

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ophelia C
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear guest,

we would like to thank you very much that you have taken the time to share with us their impressions.

It was a pleasure for us to welcome you in our house.
We are very pleased that you have a pleasant stay and we would be very happy to welcome you again soon in the Melia Zanzibar to hot.

Karibu Tena

your Melia Zanzibar Team
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I usually travel by myself but this time I was travelling with my family to do sightseeing in African continent

I was in search of decent hotels in africa because of my child just hates bugs, cockroaches and every unhuman being when we were out there

I chose this hotel over many other properties because my wife wanted to stick around beaches so we went there and I was truely baffled at what they had here

Exceptional service, luxurious building and it is quite newfangled thing in zanzibar island but they had caddies running around the golf turf

I wasn't really expecting the 'extravagancy' in africa but this hotel is predominently the best

some of the defects that i could locate was probably regarding the damages on the property otherwise my week was great out there

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valuable review, so wonderfully truly means a lot to our entire team. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your overall stay at Melia Zanzibar. We are pleased that you were also impressed with our exceptional services, luxurious buildings and all other services we provide.

We are committed to deliver best experience possible to our guests and exceed their expectations.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you once again in the near future.

Sincerely
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have stayed in Melia Zanzibar for 5 nights in Dec 2013. The resort is in very good location and food options are very nice. The rooms look very nice. Gabi beach is very nice, which is 1.5 KM from hotel and Melia drives you there in golf cars. Beach is really rich and beautiful.

I have taken all-inclusive package. However, it is not all-inclusive as it says. It has something like “premium all-inclusive”. In my all-inclusive package they mentioned that they fill my minibar on arrival. They filled with 3 soft drink bottles, 1 soda and 1 water bottle. I have never seen such a simple mini bar. Many drinks are not included in all-inclusive package. I feel, this is not a standard in hotel’s world to have all-inclusive like this. Also you will not know about premium all-inclusive until you go there or check Melia website. You need to sign the bills every time to order a drink and food , even with all-inclusive hand band. This is sometimes irritating.

Air Conditioner(AC) stopped working two times. Second time, the entire room was filled with burning smell. When I called reception, they did not show any urgency to fix it. The showers do not work well. I had to hold a pin to get the top shower working, called them to fix it. They fixed but the same issue happened. That pin is so hard, girls cannot even pull it. When we take shower, water gets accumulated near the toilet seat( due to some leakage). This was reported 3 times and was not successfully resolved until we leave. We booked airport drop 1 day before and someone called to our room at 11PM and wake us up to confirm the details.

Overall, I have a mixed feeling of my stay at Melia Zanzibar. Location, food and beach are very good. I want to forget all the glitches. However, it troubled us a lot. Staffs seem to follow all the rules of the hotel strictly and cannot even extend the checkout time for 30 minutes also on the last day. I have seen the attitude of not trying to keep the guests in the centre is missing at Melia. I have stayed in many other places which are very flexible to modify things for guests.

Room Tip: Take rooms close to reception. Helps to travel to beach in golf cars. Don't think that, all-inc...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vinod929
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you very much that you have taken the time to share your experience at Melia Zanzibar. We appreciate you so much for choosing our hotel as your recent holiday destination.

Our mission has always been to exceed the expectations of our guests and we take each comment or even criticism very seriously, in order to improve our service.

We have noted your comments of which we apologize for the shortfalls. Please rest be assured that all mentioned points be taken care in order to avoid future occurrences. In addition to that, we have our Guest Experience Team that standing by always to assist whenever our guests encounter any problems.

Your opinion is very important to us and we thank you that you pointed them out for us. We apologize that you had separate page experience during your stay.
At your disposal we remain to welcome you again soon in the near future.

Asante Sana!

Melia Zanzibar Team
Kiwengwa
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Staying at the Meila Zanzibar was a real treat for us. The staff were incredibly helpful and welcoming. The accommodation was excellent and the meals and refreshment of the highest standard. A big thank you to all.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for sharing these very nice comments and impressions regarding your recent stay at Melia Zanzibar. We are delighted you really appreciated the quality of service provided by all our Ambassadors.

I have taken the liberty to share your review with my team which is a tool we carry along.
I am glad we are your “hotel of choice” and wishing to welcome you back very soon.

Yours in Hospitality
Brecht, Belgium
Reviewed 17 December 2013

First time to Zanzibar. A relax holiday. Enjoying the sun, the pool, reading books, drinks, food.
I admit that my first impression of the room was a bit disappointing. The airco makes a lot of noise and the some of the things need to be modernized. But I understood from the management during a welcome drink that they are still working very hard to improve the hotel and bring to a higher level. The staff was very friendly, the food was very good. As well in the main restaurant (spices restaurant)as the Jetty lounge. Dinner, tapas : everything is fresh. The spa is amazing. The massages are recommended!! The swimming pool is very nice and clean. The gym is well equipped. We checked out very early (3 am) and breakfast was foreseen!
All in all a very relaxing holiday with very nice people, an amazing view!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear guest,

We are always trying to exceed the expectations of our guests and take each comment or even criticism very seriously, in order to improve our service qualities.

All the information will be processed and then in daily meetings in the department, in order to ensure that our guests feel they are deserved. In addition, we also have our Guest Experience Team that staending is accessible for you.

Your opinion is very important to us and we thank You that you share them with us. We apologize that you had seperate page and we were very pleased to welcome you again soon in the Melia Zanzibar to hot.

Karibu Tena

Your Melia Zanzibar Team
Gaborone, Botswana
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited Zanzibar for our 10th Anniversary. The hotel exceeded our expectations in terms of service and the friendliness of the staff. The food was amazing. We highly recommend Melia to anyone traveling to Zanzibar and hope to return soon!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent holiday in Zanzibar. We are so very grateful for your loyalty to our property and also to learn that you enjoyed every moment of your stay.

We are very committed to bring excellent services to our guests, and this makes us different in the Island.

We look forward to welcome you again.

Best Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiwengwa
Dream of Zanzibar
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
The Residence Zanzibar
The Residence Zanzibar
#1 of 6 in Kizimkazi
Zanzibar White Sand Luxury Villas & Spa (Relais & Chateaux)

Been to Melia Zanzibar? Share your experiences!