“Lovely and relaxing place”

Upepo Boutique Beach Bungalows
Ranked #7 of 13 Bwejuu B&B and Inns
Santander, Spain
“Lovely and relaxing place”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We had a great experience in Upepo. The place is quiet, relaxing and beautiful. It is not a luxury hotel, but if you are looking for confortable bungalows, nice sea views, good food and activities, Upepo is your best choice!
Thanks a lot to Mohamed, he is so nice and you learn a lot about the country. And the food, once you try chef Rasta food, you don't choose another restaurant…
And Zanzibar sky…great from Upepo...

Room Tip: Beach views bungalow, perfect relax...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MartayGonzalo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Dakar, Senegal
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We just returned from Upepo, where we were lucky to stay at the end of a 3-week trip through Tanzania. Perfect. The bungalow is clean and tasteful and steps from a quiet, powder beach. The fish was delicious. We went through pitchers of sangria. The manager, Mohammed, was friendly and helpful. He set us up on a dhow ride to blue lagoon, where we snorkelled in what felt like a fish tank. I have never seen so many fish before, and such variety! I wish we could have stayed longer and gone snorkelling every day. It was amazing.

Room Tip: As for the bungalow on the beach.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CatherineinDakar
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I recently returned from a 4-night stay at Upepo. What a relaxing place! The hotel is very small and basic, but the food is good, the rooms are clean, the staff are very friendly and helpful, and the beach is magnificent! No beach boys, hardly any people and you can walk to Paje (about 5km away) if you need more action. There are also other small hotels nearby, so you have options for eating without having to walk far. If you can, request the room on the top floor (only 1). It has great views and you fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. Since it's a small establishment, all rooms are just a few steps away from the beach. The staff at the hotel can arrange transport and day trips. I highly recommend the snorkeling outing, just a few minutes driver from Upepo - lots of colorful fish and within a few hours you can be back relaxing on your private piece of paradise!

Room Tip: Room on the top floor of the two-unit building. Great views and fall asleep to the sound of the oce...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hanna B
Mombasa, Kenya
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I stayed at Upepo over Christmas 2013 and it was exactly what we had booked: there were four of us travelling so we got the two-storey bungalow on the beach. Nice and breezy, food was good, sangria was flowing and we even got the few extras we requested for (goat for christmas dinner). Very quiet, very relaxing and very much what the doctor ordered. Activities were organised as requested but if you wanted but if nothing was what you wanted to do, that was also ok. I booked Upepo thanks to a friend who recommended it, and I would recommend it to anyone in need of relaxation.

One thing though: the beach is NOT safe for you to wonder off at night. We wittnessed a few fellow tourists getting robbed on the beach. Take care and don't carry what you don't want to lose.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lotta_in_Zed
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

After 5 weeks of traveling through East Africa, I was looking for some peace and quiet on a gorgeous beach and Upepo fit the bill!

I had originally planned to stay for 3 nights, but my reservation at a different hotel fell through at the last minute and the staff at Upepo graciously accommodated the additional nights with less than 12 hours notice.

When I got there, I knew I was in heaven! The beach is pristine white sand with warm turquoise water. The room was super clean and comfortable and literally 10 steps to the beach!

The staff at Upepo were amazing. The manager, Mohammed, is extremely friendly and the chef, Rasta, knows his stuff. All the food and drinks were fresh and delicious and made to order.

Mohammed can accommodate for any off site activities: I did the snorkel trip to the lagoon and saw some amazing coral and TONS of fish. I also took a cooking lesson with Rasta and learned how to properly gut a fish (gross!) and how to prepare octopus curry. It's a recipe I've used at a couple of dinner parties to dazzle guests!

The best part was the peace and quiet – no noisy tourists or boats or thumping music. But at the same time, it's close enough that you can walk to other hotels or restaurants along the beach if you want to mix things up for lunch or dinner. The staff also have a good line on local parties in the evening and are happy to escort you if you want to see how Zanzibar gets loose after the sun goes down!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Lindsey N
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Complex and conflicting place to stay. At first sight of video I thought 'perfect', contacted owner Shareef who politely responds quickly over approximately 5 emails. I asked to reserve the single detached bungalow for 5 nights. Shareef said he knew exactly the bungalow, asked me to confirm my dates and then everything is confirmed by their "honor system" we agree to show and pay or inform them of any changes. Upon arrival we are taken upstairs half of a bungalow by Mohammed. I tell him this is not what I reserved, responds with another couple came for upstairs but saw detached bungalow and wanted it and what could he do? Try honoring the reservations made! No mention was made until I brought it up. I contacted Shareef who was "surprised" this happened and would fix it and get back to me, I never heard from him again. Mohammed tried his best to make things work but it turns out the couple before us had reservations for the detached bungalow and were given the same story as to why they couldn't stay upon arrival because someone else was in there. A bit of a tainted system Upepo is working. I didn't feel the need to "honor" my agreement with Shareef/Upepo since they did not. I walked down to Evergreen Beach Bungalows, better energy/atmosphere and they honor reservations!
Upepo breezes were great, wonderful view, easy access to beach but difficult to get water or soda from the bar as it is difficult to find staff around. Breakfast was delicious spiced tea, sweet mango, overripe watermelon and one fried egg cut in half for 2 people! Mohammed is friendly, easy to engage, wants to succeed and welcomes feedback/suggestions but it appears his hands are tied by ownership. Shareef would probably do well to spend time there for oversight or give his manager Mohammed some power to make things better.
There are so many other options just a short walk away....

Room Tip: Upstairs bungalow is breezy, with great view. Front detached bungalow is best if they "honor&qu...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anthony P
Debs1923, Manager at Upepo Boutique Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
We are very sorry your expectations were not met and we appreciate your feedback, both your negative experiences and your positive ones. We generally try and accommodate a guest’s request if they prefer a certain bungalow over another. We only have four bungalows at Upepo all of which provide privacy and the same amenities (and are all the same price). For the time that this guest was staying at our hotel we only had two guests - himself and another couple. When the other couple arrived they alerted us that they had mobility issues so the upper level beach bungalow that was reserved for them was not appropriate. Our manager decided to make a switch so that each couple would have their own private bungalow – and since an “individual” bungalow was requested we assumed (and you know what happens when you do that !!!!) that he would be more than happy to stay in our newly built upper story bungalow which provides a sweeping view of the ocean and is probably our most popular. Seeing as there were no other guests - both couples had their own individual bungalows (on opposite corners of our property for privacy) which seemed to be the best solution at the time. Do we feel badly that this guest was not satisfied with his experience? YES. VERY. Do we feel that we did not honor his reservation, no we fully honored his reservation. He received a completely private beach facing bungalow (and after his disappointment we also offered him a discount on his accommodation). As proprietors we try and learn from negative experiences so that our guests will continue to have great experiences here at Upepo. We take pride in all four of our bungalows and it would be a shame to not try and accommodate requests from our guests. We take any negative reviews very seriously so in the future we will make sure that our guests understand that we will do everything possible to accommodate their bungalow requests but that sometimes circumstances change.
Piedmont, California
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We LOVED our few days at Upepo on the gorgeous island of Zanzibar. Here are the reasons:
1. It's remote and very quiet. A real getaway! You won't see or hear many other people.
2. The food was fresh and lovely. Fish, fruit, amazing lobster!
3. The service was above and beyond what we expected. The manager Mohammed (and his crew) was irresistibly sweet and happy to do anything possible to make our stay fun.
4. Gorgeous snorkeling in the lagoon of a boat with Ramadan and Haji.
5. Riding bikes on the beach was super fun. Walking for miles is great too.
6. The water was so aquamarine and warm it was heavenly. Wish I was there now.
7. Our little cabana was right on the powdery sandy beach.
This place is not for people who want the usual western amenities. The showers are cold water, not sure their is wifi everywhere (we didn't care), no AC (we didn't need it. ), when it's windy in January it gets pretty sandy. For us, this was a real get-away. We loved it. Thanks guys!
By the way.. the review by mkpatt2 says it all very well. thanks!

Room Tip: We stayed in both of the little beach bungalows. One for my husband and me. The other for our adult...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family