“Do not go as a single” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Bwejuu
Australia
“Do not go as a single”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

This is a truly lovely-looking resort in a spectacular location, however, it is definitely not the place for singles. I have never felt as uncomfortable as I felt here as a lone traveller. I felt as though some of the male members of staff looked down their noses at me and I felt soooo uncomfortable at dinner time. Every other person there was in a couple or group.

That aside, I thought the rooms were beautiful and the views of the beach and ocean second to none. Bwejuu is certainly a gorgeous spot. The food for lunch and snacks wasn't good, was expensive and the choice was limited. Dinners were good though at the main restaurant. The staff were a mixed bag, some were nice and others looked like they'd just sucked on a lemon. I found them mostly to be unhelpful.

I think I would have enjoyed my stay more if I was in a couple situation, but still I don't think the service was very good at all.

• Liked — The rooms and the views
  • Disliked — The poor service
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank HarlemRain

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sunningwell, Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2008

We couldn’t disagree more with the previous reviewer. We have just returned from spending 12 nights at Breezes. Nothing was too much trouble for the excellent and friendly staff. We had Suite 18 which although not right at the front, had lovely views of the beach and the pool. The room was spacious, with nice, comfortable furniture and was kept absolutely spotless by the housekeeping team. The balcony/terrace was part shaded with nice rattan furniture and sun loungers. We were booked in full board so had all our meals there over the 12 days. We couldn’t fault the food which at dinner was a mixture of full service or buffet service nights. There was always a choice of food, a separate vegetarian menu, and plentiful portions. The menu did repeat after a week, but that was long enough for us to have forgotten the previous time, and be looking forward to the specialities of the night. There was also a variety of entertainment each night, including Swahili dancing, acrobats (who were amazing!) and a variety of traditional and pop bands. Breakfast was buffet style, with a lovely, full range of fresh fruit, fantastic breads and pastries, and cooked if you required it. Excursions (don’t miss Jozani forest and the Colobus monkeys) and our 5 a.m. transfer back to the airport were organised with no fuss (and happened like clockwork), and we were able to pay our bill at 10.00 the night before we left. Even when the phone lines went down, and it took 40 minutes to get through to get the credit card authorisation, the cashier remained cheerful and helpful despite being well over her already long shift.

As I said, we can’t relate to the previous review – sounds like they were at a different hotel to us! We are pretty fussy, and have travelled widely world-wide, first and developing world, and would give Breezes gold stars all round.

Gold Stars also to Paul and the Rising Sun Dive Centre team who run an excellent operation with the focus on personalised service (we had a boat crew of 5 plus dive guide for the two of us one day). Nice to see dive guides who still get excited by seeing good stuff. The boat crews are great – and our kit was set up and broken down by them each dive and they were attentive when you needed help but not too overbearing. Due to the tide times, sometimes we transferred to the dive boat by bus, but it was a few minutes’ transfer but every time, we either left or arrived back at the Breezes beach (note that there is not jetty so you have to wade out to the boat – but as the water is warmer than a bath it was not an issue). The dive boat is covered, has twin outboards and has plenty of space. Diving was awesome – if you like massive walls and huge currents don’t come here – but if you are after fantastic untouched soft and hard corals, amazing variety and volume of fish life and lots of small critters (oh and the humpback whales), this is the place for you. BUT – if you don’t book a dive package via your operator, you will need to pay in Cash or Travellers’ cheques ONLY. This can be an expensive business (note - the hotel shop also only takes cash which it doesn’t say on the website).

We booked Breezes / Rising Sun after a lot of research, looking for a combination of luxury hotel, good quality diving with short transfers and an on site professionally run dive centre. We are delighted to say – we found it.

• Liked — Feels small and personal despite 70 rooms
  • Disliked — Not knowing we had to pay cash for dive/shop facilities
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Quoinbarn
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2008

I have just returned from a 10 night stay at Breezes.

I found the hotel excellent - large bedroom with an enormous bed and mosquito nets (which were let down for you while you were at dinner), air-conditioning (mine worked perfectly) and a sofa and table. Very good power shower with an additional hand-held shower - constant hot water. There is also a small fridge stocked with water, soft drinks and beer. The tin of coca cola was TS2000 and the small bottle of water was TS1000
(TS2000 to the £ or TS1200 to the $). The verandah had a comfortable chair and table. I got the impression that all the bedrooms are the same; the difference between standard and deluxe being that the deluxe are nearer the sea and the facilities - the standard rooms were at the back of the property but, if you don't mind an extra minute's walk, I am not sure that would matter. There are 4 ground floor bedrooms and two upstairs suites to each 'house' (the upstairs suites having a larger outside area and considered very suitable for families). There are only two 'houses' that have a good sea view (they have lower numbered rooms), the rest face the sea but you cannot really see it. (You can see the layout quite well on Google Earth).

The grounds are full of trees and shrubs and patchy grass areas. However, I was disappointed in the lack of wildlife. Apart from quite a few crows and some dark coloured sunbirds, I didn't see any other birds in the grounds (there were some water birds in the sea at low tide). There were some skinks and lizards around, but the only other animals were the bushbabys. If you put some banana on your verandah after dark, one will come and feed there. Very few mosquitos, but there were other biting insects, so you do need to put repellent on at night. My insect repellent is a bit greasy and did not seem to be of much use, so I sprayed my legs and arms with the inspect repellent they use to spray the room with at night - probably not very good for me, but it did seem very effective!

There is a nice swimming pool with sun loungers, some under an awning, plus a beach area (which is part of the hotel grounds and slightly raised from the actual beach) with loungers and palm sunshades. There were never any problems getting a lounger (towels also provided free) and you can order drinks and snacks.

I found the food very good, especially the buffets which tended to be based on Swahili or oriental cooking, although there was usually something like a pasta dish as well. Lunchtime food was expensive and ranged from a humous and a Tzasaki(?) dip for TS9000 and the 'catch of the day' with veg for TS14500. I only drink soft drinks and found that a bottle of coke in the restaurant was TS3000 and TS4000 in the bar - very peculiar - I didn't ask about it in case they had made a mistake with the pricing for the fridge drinks!

I did the all day Stone Town and Spice Farm tours through my travel agency representative - both very good, but expensive if you are a solo traveller. Fortunately I managed to team up with a couple of other people so it cost me $76 instead of $200. We had lunch at the Africa Hotel - best to pay in TS here because their exchange rate for $ or £ was diabolical (TS1000 to the $ and to the £!). I also visited Jozani Forest ($100 for about 3hrs, including travelling), but was disappointed. I actually went twice because it rained the first time (apparantly the trees attract the rain, because it wasn't raining outside of the forest), saw the monkeys (which are great) but no other wildlife at all. I think you stay too near the reception centre..

There were lots of staff around and I found them all very friendly and helpful. I felt it would be difficult to keep tipping people individually (plus work out very expensive), so I only tipped when they brought me lunch to my lounger on the beach (!) and then put some money in the 'Tip box' in reception when I left. I was not made to feel embarrassed by not tipping individually.

There is an internet room (1 computer) which you can use for $7 for 30 mins.

A word of warning. I travelled BA from London via Nairobi - never again. Kenya Airways changed my return flight from Zanzibar to Nairobi because they were double-booked, and I had over 7hrs to wait at Nairobi Airport - not a particularly modern airport! However, I did find the 'First Class Lounge' which charged $20 dollars for 3hrs (although they let me stay another 2hrs without charging). Not wonderful, but it had comfortable armchairs and sofas, free drinks (inc alcohol) and snacks, plus a microwave to heat them up in; an internet connection and a TV (when they finally got it working) - so the wait turned out to be not as bad as I had expected.

• Liked — Spacious, good shower, fridge
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
2 Thank Angie4
Leadenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2008

Lovely hotel, lovely grounds, but since we were there last year the food really went downhill. This wouldn't really stop us from going again but the managment really need to wake up and look at what the chefs are feeding people. Last year there was a big jolly bloke running the kitchen and the food was awesome! As I mentioned though, the rest of the hotel is perfect once you get over the telly withdrawls! Didn't use the dive center but heard rave reviws from a few others. Spa was great, reception manager is a little quirky (ie funky dresser....u need to see him to believe it!), restaurant manager is such a sweety but his assistant was kind of snaky Hope this helps anyone, it really is a fantastic place, and well staffed just dont expect all good meals!

• Liked — comfy
  • Disliked — food
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2008

We had a wonderful 10 day holiday at this excellent hotel where nothing was too much trouble for staff and management.
We did nor safari first and were badly in need of relaxation and peace-this resort did not disappoint on any level.
We are middleaged and our 19yr old daughter and her boyfriend came along.All of us had a wonderful time doing as much or as little as we chose.
The dive centre was professionally run and no short cuts were made in the process of training-you can't say this everywhere in the world.The lagoon in which you learn and can snorkel is exquisite-not to be missed.
Trips are few but the Spice Tour is interesting.Stone Town is in the process of regeneration but has a long way to go.Driving around the island reveals the poverty but also the beauty of this island and its people and craftsmanship is evident on the side of the roads!!
Back to the resort-exceptionally clean and very quiet-do not come here if you want non stop entertainment and night life.
The grounds are emaculate and the housekeeping staff kept all rooms beautifully clean and replenished with clean linens etc daily.
The food ,we thought, was excellent including the themed buffets which were thoughtfullly designed and presented and all food was so fresh and appealing. Breakfast were also very varied and appealled to all tastes and appetites.
gentlemen must wear long trousers in the restaurants in the evenings and they ask you to cover up and wear footwear in the main bars and whilst walking through the hotel which is a nice touch and avoids embarassing sights!!
The beach is amazing and kept clean and walking out to the reef at low tide was a fantastic experience.Jelly/reef shoes are a must or you will come to grief on the coral and sea urchins! I have never been to a beach where you can see coral crops and tropical fish in poolsjust 12 ins deep and watching the locals fish is fascinating and the subject of wonderful photos.When the tide comes in you can snorkel straight off the beach and do take advantage of the free -for -use kayaks-you can safely paddle out and look down into turqouise water and see fish etc.
The spa is worth a visit and cheaper than I am used to in Kent.Having an authentic Thai massage isquite an experience if not altogether painless!!! The whole relaxation ethos in the spa was wonderful.
So no complaints at all from this family-we would come back again and probab;y will.Zanzibar is truly beautiful and this resort deserves its excellent reputation.We have travelled extensively around the world and Breezes rates very highly indeed.

• Liked — clean,ample space in room and fantastic views
  • Disliked — nil
1 Thank voa
Rickmansworth, Herts. UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2008

5 *
-Nothing

-Diving - Great school and great people - would be 5* if the prices were more in line with the USA and UK - but you do get quality and the critters are great.
-Hotel communal Areas
-Suite Balcony (not room) and view (but paid for it and had to beg hard to get the see view room 6!)
-Some service personnel - but only 20%
-Beach - there are plenty of reviews about the tide and lagoon, but what you going to do? Better than some hotels, which dynamite the reef to make swimming areas - it does look beautiful also.
-Location - a prime spot and the 1 hour drive from the airport is now on good roads.

3* Most things:
- Standard service personnel
- The actual rooms and bathroom (shower was rubbish)
- The cleanliness of the rooms
- Food - The buffets are OK - but why do you offer 70 dishes on one night and a choice between only 2 menus on another?

- The wine list - We had better wines in the middle of the Masi Mara.
- Value for money - actually its a rip off - Euro 380 per night for half board (2pax). Thats not expensive for a 5 star - but it is for what you get.
- Some food - how can you take an Islands most available raw material (FISH) and cook it so badly?
- Restaurant choice. We were so annoyed with the food on the half board plan, we enquired about eating in the Asian restaurant. We were told to book 24 hours in advance (fair enough) but to order what we wanted on the morning we wanted to eat. Come on???? That's not a restaurant!
It turns out that all food comes from one kitchen anyway!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Boycey0ycey01
Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2008

Why this is called a "club" and "spa" defeats me.
After a weeks wonderful safari in Kenya we arrived at Breezes expecting a similar 5 star resort holiday. The location is wonderful, white beaches glorious warm sea and beautiful muted colours. The resort physically is excellent, rooms spacious and light. Unfortunately the air conditioning unit was noisy and dripping and we had to turn it off several nights. Most of the staff were very friendly but there were several who certainly were somewhat bitter.
The buffet breakfast was generally very good. The evening meals varied from good to indifferent. Everything outside of half board was relatively expensive, of London prices. What I found annoying was that at all meals you were charged for bottled water. Given the cost of this holiday you would have thought this a trivial cost. The entertainment was like background music. They sorely missed the concept of an entertainment manager. You felt there was a lack of relationship between management and customers. Never knew who was in charge. Sometimes Entertainment finished before all people had finished their meals. So badly organised.
The location and state of the the property was 5 star, all else was 3/4 star. If you are paying 5 star prices you expect 5 star treatment. Overall we had a good time but it could have been much better.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Tonyglyph
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bwejuu
Melia Zanzibar
#1 of 12 in Bwejuu
Baraza Resort & Spa
Baraza Resort & Spa
#2 of 12 in Bwejuu

Been to Breezes Beach Club & Spa, Zanzibar? Share your experiences!